NYCOM class of 2011!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow that's crazy. Is it the dean (Dr. Scandalis) or Dr. Elkowitz? I read a post earlier where someone said that it was being hosted by Elkowitz.

The invite card says it is hosted by Dr. Elkowitz...So I guess it will be at his house.

Members don't see this ad.

I never got an invite.:( That is not really fair to invite a random third of the class. :thumbdown: He should invite all of us or non of us.

Did anyone cancel medical and dental insurance?
I am also looking for a car. Anyone know anyone who is selling one? Thanks

2003 Nissan Sentra Limited Edition
PM me if interested

Members don't see this ad :)
I never got an invite.:( That is not really fair to invite a random third of the class. :thumbdown: He should invite all of us or non of us.

I didn't get an invite. :mad: ..... :D

The invite card says it is hosted by Dr. Elkowitz...So I guess it will be at his house.

May I ask a dumb question? Didn't you address yourself as in the class of 2008 during a thread for the class of 2009 waitlisters for SUNY Stony Brook? It was towards the middle of this thread where you actually said that:http://forums.studentdoctor.net/archive/index.php/t-184890.html

I am just confused, and don't mean to a bother. Mind explaining though....

to those who still don't think its fair, i asked about that on the phone and the person said that it would simply be impossible to fit 300 people and their parents at Elkowitz's house. if the outcome this year is good, maybe next year they will have a bigger venue?

So... where are the cheap gyms everyone was talking about?

ok, so no one was talking about them which is why im asking.. but this is as good a time as any to find out right?!

to those who still don't think its fair, i asked about that on the phone and the person said that it would simply be impossible to fit 300 people and their parents at Elkowitz's house. if the outcome this year is good, maybe next year they will have a bigger venue?

1.) "fair." ain't nuthin' fair. didn't yo' mamma teach you that yet?

2.) elky isn't the dean, just plays golf with him and aspires to be dean someday.

3.) your parents are supposed to go with you? are you all 12 or something?

hello..

How is everybody...
I got off from the waiting list on July 27th...
and i guess it changed my life...

however, I am kinda lost...
I thought I am not going to make it this year..

Is there anyone who is in same boat as me??
Pm me if u like..

It would be a great year for us..
looking forward to meet you all..

give me any suggession or update you have since i am very late in the process.

Its sad that unlucky 2/3 rd of 300 people (like me) are not going to get any invite.. ..

bye for now..

just curious...did any guys get an invite to elkowitz' party or is it only girls, haha.

Woohoo!!! congrats!

I think for now just send in the acceptance letter and deposit. Make sure your FAFSA is filled out, then wait for the financial aid letter to arrive. If you haven't already, get your MMR immunization or titers done :)

Take care!

hello..

How is everybody...
I got off from the waiting list on July 27th...
and i guess it changed my life...

however, I am kinda lost...
I thought I am not going to make it this year..

Is there anyone who is in same boat as me??
Pm me if u like..

It would be a great year for us..
looking forward to meet you all..

give me any suggession or update you have since i am very late in the process.

Its sad that unlucky 2/3 rd of 300 people (like me) are not going to get any invite.. ..

bye for now..

Hey guys,

I’m selling off a ton of books that I realize I don’t need but might be helpful to others. Prices are all negotiable, within reason. Send me a PM or email me at [email protected] if you’re interested. Below I’ve included all the relevant details about the books, including a little mini-review based on my opinion of the text. All prices should be below market price, although you should feel free to compare.

$299 Package deal: Get all of these off my hands for $300 ($60 discount)

$84 Review book deal: Buy the review books (6) for $84 ($10 discount)
That's $14 a pop!

 Canby, Craig. Problem-Based Anatomy. (2006, 1st ed) $20
o Condition: New
o Overall, a decent text but it leaves a lot to be desired. It doesn’t cover nearly enough, but that which it does cover, it covers well. I like the organization of the textbook, with each clinical case detailing things like embryo, histo, physio, path, and of course associated anatomy.

 Katzung, Bertram. Basic & Clinical Pharmacology. (9th ed) $15
o Condition: Good. Some highlighting and writing, but very little overall. Name written across bottom.
o I like the book, but I like Goodman and Gillman’s better, mainly b/c that text has more physiology and molecular bio incorporated into it. But this is the standard text at many schools and I have no issues with it. Note that there is a newer edition out.

 Rohen et al. Color Atlas of Anatomy. (6th ed) $45
o Condition: Like New. One or two pages have sparse writing/underlining in them, and that is all. Name written across bottom.
o Should be a required text, in my opinion.

 Murray et al. Medical Microbiology. (5th ed) $25
o Condition: Used/Good. The early chapters (1-6) have quite a bit of writing/highlighting. After that, there is sparse highlighting/writing/underlining. Name across bottom.
o This book is the standard microbio text in most med schools. I just don’t like the organization and find the writing a bit dry.

 Tank, P. Grant’s Dissector (“clean” copy) (13th ed) $3
o Condition: Good. Might have some writing somewhere in it. No cadaver juice on it.

 Kierszenbaum, A. Histology and Cell Biology. (2nd ed) $60
o Condition: Like New. Might have 1 or two pages with underlining.
o As I’m writing this I’m considering keeping this book if I don’t get a good offer. The diagrams in this text are phenomenal. If you are a visual learner, this is the histology and cell bio text for you. The cell bio part is introduced at the beginning and is surprisingly comprehensive. Someone told me that this is the histo book that Dr. Elkowitz recommends, but I don’t know if that’s true or not.

 Netter’s Flashcards. $20
o Condition: Better than new. I say this b/c most, if not all, of them have been already hole-punched so you can just put one of those binder rings through the cards. Organized and all there.
o I loved these. Used them at the gym frequently.

 Moore & Dalley. Clinically Oriented Anatomy. (5th ed.) $35
o Condition: Good. Some of the chapters have some highlighting/underlines but it’s really not much overall. Name across bottom. I might be able to dig up the CDs that came with the book.
o Tough call to sell this book. But I like Gray’s better in terms of writing. However, this is definitely the standard text at NYCOM and most other med schools in the country.

 Felten, & Jozefowicz. Netter’s Atlas of Human Neuroscience. (2003, 1st ed) $17
o Condition: Used. Highlighting, underlining, writing. No tears/folds. Name across bottom.
o Although this book is well used, it’s probably a good buy from me b/c in some areas (for instance, respiratory tracts) I’ve integrated the physiology into the illustration. Regardless of whether you’ll get it from me or not, I think you should buy it for Neuro.

 Doyon et al. The Cranial Nerves. (2004, 1st ed. in English). $25
o Condition: Like New. Name across bottom. No highlighting, no writing.
o Good book. Incorporates Netter images and neurophysiology. I bought this text b/c the cranial nerves kept coming up over and over again and for whatever reason, I never got it completely straight.

 Harvey & Champe. Lippincott’s Pharmacology. (3rd ed). $30
o Condition: Good. Some highlighting/writing (mainly early chapters). Name across bottom.
o This review book’s best merits are its illustrations. Worth buying if you have trouble with Pharm. I think some people use it as their primary text in conjunction with lecture notes.

 BRS Biochemistry, 3rd ed. $3
o Condition: Good. Some highlighting, mainly limited to 1 chapter. Name across bottom.
o Eh. It’s okay. Lippincott’s is better in my opinion. The schematics in here are worth $3 though (isn’t that a Starbucks drink these days?!).

 BRS Physiology, 3rd ed. $17
o Condition: Like New. Name across bottom. No writing/highlighting/marks.
o I use this woman’s textbook as a review book – I don’t know how she could have made a review book that’s any less comprehensive than her own text. Don’t get me started. There’s a video on YouTube somewhere of Boron and Boulepep (physio profs at Yale) destroying a bunch of Costanzo texts in some sort of Borat parody. Anyway, that being said, tons of people use this review book every year for boards.

 BRS Pharmacology, 4th ed. $20
o Condition: Like New. Name across bottom.
o Surprisingly solid. A lot of pharmacology is memorization so this little text is right on.

 BRS Microbiology and Immunology, 4th ed. $12
o I don’t know why I bought this, but I’m sure it’s great! It comes pretty widely recommended for the boards.

 BRS Cell Biology and Histology, 4th ed. $12
o Supposedly the most difficult questions on the boards are cell biology questions. But overall, I think that for a review book this has too much info. However, the histology section is pretty good.

Members don't see this ad :)
just curious...did any guys get an invite to elkowitz' party or is it only girls, haha.

I was wondering what percentage of those invited included a pic of themselves in their application lol

"Yes, please bring your mom... she might be hot, you never know"

Why do it at his house where he couldn't have everyone? It is stupid planning if you ask me. Do it at the school where they can accomidate everyone. It looks like the dean is playing favorites meeting with some students and their parents and not with others. No matter how random the selection process is. To me we are C/O 2011 and we should stick together. Even if I got an invite and found out that only part of the class was invited, I wouldn't attend because it is just not right to do something like this without the entire class present. :mad:

Why do it at his house where he couldn't have everyone? It is stupid planning if you ask me. Do it at the school where they can accomidate everyone. It looks like the dean is playing favorites meeting with some students and their parents and not with others. No matter how random the selection process is. To me we are C/O 2011 and we should stick together. Even if I got an invite and found out that only part of the class was invited, I wouldn't attend because it is just not right to do something like this without the entire class present. :mad:

Did he just invite the girls?:D:D:idea:

Did he just invite the girls?:D:D:idea:

no, just the hot blonde girls with big boobs who are under 25. ;-)

kappy...chill out man. it's a stupid schmoozy boring bunch of BS. if i were you i'd be happy i didn' have to go.

kappy...chill out man. it's a stupid schmoozy boring bunch of BS. if i were you i'd be happy i didn' have to go.

im thrilled that its not a blanket invite, so now i dont have to feel bad about not going. on the other hand, it doesnt make all that much sense to me to make a 'ur starting school' party and only invite a fraction of the class. but, again, happy im not invited.

It is the principle of the matter. Honestly if invited I probably wouldn't go anyway. If they are starting to exclude people before Med School I can't imagine what it is like during school.

Yo why is everyone getting flustered from this send off crap. You'll have the next four years to shmooz with the profs...one day wont make it or break it.

Yo why is everyone getting flustered from this send off crap. You'll have the next four years to shmooz with the profs...one day wont make it or break it.

it looks like MPcheaks got an invitation.. lol...
I understand everyone's pain since i did not receive the invitation..
its really not fair...whatever some people think who got invited.

we should have got atleast one official orientation with our parents ...

we should have got atleast one official orientation with our parents ...

i think the most official thing they are planning on is that bbq club fair on friday. and yes i agree there is no reason to invite a small fraction of the class and not everyone. Then dont do it at all or do a much bigger event. They are the ones that choose to accept 300+ people, so then they should be willing to accomodate us as well :idea:

did anyone receive a list of necessary materials i.e. books, tools, etc?

book list is on the board... meet.nyit.edu/~2011

Thanks for the information. It looks like there is 27 required books and 16 recommended books on the revised version..

But how many of them do we really need??

plz give me some suggessions.

any suggession is welcome from class of 2010..
thanks..

Thanks for the information. It looks like there is 27 required books and 16 recommended books on the revised version..

thanks..

I would suggest buying them from me!!! Hehe :D

orientation with parents? what is this, college?

They have convocation which you have to go to and it SUCKS. Very boring. The white coat ceremony and graduation are really the events to look forward to.

I haven't looked at the new book list but books I recommend buying...

harrisons (you can get it for free but i like having a paper copy)
first aid, usmle step 1
Netter's anatomy
Rohen, Yukochi anatomy
lippincott pharmacology review
robbins pathology textbook
OMM review by robert savarese
****neuroanatomy through clinical cases by hal blumenfeld***best text I used all year. Buy it and read it cover to cover and I guarantee you'll ace all 3 neuro exams.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head. The other books on the list, some of them are good but you can get by without them because you can just read them from the library the few times you need them. I'm also a biochem guy so I didn't feel I needed a biochem text, if you dont like biochem you may need one.

Can't think of anything else but those books were the ones I used the most.

They have convocation which you have to go to and it SUCKS. Very boring. The white coat ceremony and graduation are really the events to look forward to.

first aid, usmle step 1
Netter's anatomy
Rohen, Yukochi anatomy
****neuroanatomy through clinical cases by hal blumenfeld***best text I used all year. Buy it and read it cover to cover and I guarantee you'll ace all 3 neuro exams.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head. The other books on the list, some of them are good but you can get by without them because you can just read them from the library the few times you need them. I'm also a biochem guy so I didn't feel I needed a biochem text, if you dont like biochem you may need one.

thanks for the information...

i did not mean actually orientation with parents..
but may be with 1/2 guest.
i do not even have my parents in this country..
anyway, if you have loved ones. may be they expect to come to your school when they are invited in any occassion like orientation, convocation. it might be your parents, your spouse. your very close friend.

every school have their orientation with atleast 2 guest. I was just expecting that, before i start the school officially.
may be many of us will agree with me.

anyway...

good luck to them who got the invitation..

and thanks again your informative opinion abt the books.

still, any suggessions are welcomed from the class of 2010.

bye for now..

thanks..

Plasticman posted a book list a few months back that I agree with 100%. Scroll back to find it.

first aid, usmle step 1
Netter's anatomy
Rohen, Yukochi anatomy

after selling off all of the books I dont need for 2nd year i have all of these books except Neuroanatomy by blumentfeld which is a great book for 1st year neuro.

My parents have started measuring my room already. I'm moving out next week,a nd my sister is moving out in October. So my dad plans on turning my room into a giant closet, and then having me sleep in my sister's room when I come home. I haven't even moved out and they're already measuring my room.

My parents have started measuring my room already. I'm moving out next week,a nd my sister is moving out in October. So my dad plans on turning my room into a giant closet, and then having me sleep in my sister's room when I come home. I haven't even moved out and they're already measuring my room.

I feel sorry for you. i know its hard. sometimes, parents become so selfish..
I guess its little better in my country. However, sometimes parents think when you are 18, you do not belong in the home anymore. Its worse if you are married. But I think they will realize when they are much older. May be its you who can break the cycle. May be we should not do that to our children in near future..

I doubt he is 18. Free rent until you are 22 was not so bad I'm sure. LOL!

Aahhhh. Those were the days...washing the dishes, cutting the lawn, doing the laundry, and shoveling the snow seems like a pretty sweet deal to me now. :cry:

My mom could not wait for me to move out. Now she has a bigger house with a room set up for me and wife and kids whenever we visit. I hope she moves to NY one day or I might move back to Chicago for my residency.

are there any required texts specifically for the 'fundamentals' course, or any that are strongly recommended by those who've taken it?

just want to be ready :cool:

are there any required texts specifically for the 'fundamentals' course, or any that are strongly recommended by those who've taken it?

just want to be ready :cool:

to everyone wondering what to buy in terms of books and equip... don't do anything yet. really. for instance, you get a free netter's for joining some stupid club of somesort, and the fee to join the club is less than the cost of the netter's.

also, the book list they give has way more than you need. for intstance, i think there were three physio books on it last year...when you only really need one or two, and you really should look at them before you buy to see if they are good books for you personally to learn from. you'll get paired with a second year during the first week, and they can help you sort out what to buy or not.

buying ANYTHING more than paper and some pens right now is likely to waste you money.

I doubt he is 18. Free rent until you are 22 was not so bad I'm sure. LOL!

Aahhhh. Those were the days...washing the dishes, cutting the lawn, doing the laundry, and shoveling the snow seems like a pretty sweet deal to me now. :cry:

My mom could not wait for me to move out. Now she has a bigger house with a room set up for me and wife and kids whenever we visit. I hope she moves to NY one day or I might move back to Chicago for my residency.

Yes its sad that sometimes parents want you to move out then later they want you to come back. When I was in my country, once I had to move from one state to other state because of my education and my mother could not leave me alone and she came with me. i liked it though. but when she came, the whole family came with her. lol. But there was a force that you need to contribute for your family when you grow up. After I graduate, I was sitting at home doing nothing. then they were not happy that why i am not doing any job. Although I understand now why they were not happy, but it felt bad at that moment that why i have work any free time i get.

However, now I am far from them . they want me back each time we talk over the phone. Its kills me sometimes that i am not doing what i suppose to do since they didn't leave me ever but i left them.

Anyway, its not like here. Family is complicated. neither you can leave them nor you can stay with them.. I don't know. the whole thing makes me sorry sometime..

Sorry. may be i am making you bored..

Is it normal to be rejected for the TAP part of financial Aid?

Is it normal to be rejected for the TAP part of financial Aid?

Yes, it is normal. I was rejected as well. (based on my parents income. It's odd, but that's how they do it.)
Only very lucky few will ever get TAP as grad student.

As for NYCOM's grant, I am wondering what is the max people are getting.

Yes, it is normal. I was rejected as well. (based on my parents income. It's odd, but that's how they do it.)
Only very lucky few will ever get TAP as grad student.

As for NYCOM's grant, I am wondering what is the max people are getting.
First year student dont get any grants isn't that so?

forgive me if this question has been asked (if you have a good link for it please post it)

I belive the financial aid stuff will be:

42K Stafford loans (susbsidized) fixed rate 6.8% after school
38K tuition ( not including health insurance)
25K Max Grad plus loans @8.6%

Please some one correct me if I am wrong.
What is the best place to get your grad plus from?
or is it better to get private loans?
and if that is the case where is the best place to get the loans from and why?

I am married and my wife is starting PA school this year. Touro PA program is like 17K and no financial Aid, not even enough staffor loan for them. they give them like 14K staffor loan and I am thinking I need at least 40K for our living expenses so a good private loan lender is needed for us any advice?

as it is:
Mine:
+42K loan
-38K tuition
+ 25K Private loan

Her's:
+ 17K

Leaving expenses:
-40K for both of us.

we need another 26K at least.

any guidance would be appreciated.

Hopefully in 3 years from now that she will make some money we can stop getting so much loan.
All this money and I am still soooo happy I am in Medical school!!! am I crazy or what lol.

How did you get grants? they offered you? when?

It was just on there when I got ym financial aid package. I didn't apply seperatly for it. Believe me, it really wasn't much. I almost laughed at there "generosity". I guess they might give more, but the amount they gave me really is not going to make or break me. I appreciate it, but it really isn't that much. I didn't apply seperatly though, it just showed up.

It was just on there when I got ym financial aid package. I didn't apply seperatly for it. Believe me, it really wasn't much. I almost laughed at there "generosity". I guess they might give more, but the amount they gave me really is not going to make or break me. I appreciate it, but it really isn't that much. I didn't apply seperatly though, it just showed up.
I would appreciate 500$ and more.. lol I look at their website see if they list anything.
I was on the wait list maybe the due date is gone.

pretty hard to qualify for it.

Graduates only can get $500 max. Not going to break you.

I got TAP but the amount is laughable. $ 71 per semester.

When I thought I am not gonna make it this year, I applied for TAP to take some extra class in a college, they awarded me like $1450 per semester. but now when i changed the school to NYCOM, they awarded me $71. lol..

Thats funny and stupid.

I got that NYCOM grant too. I think they randomly give it out...I dont know.

Status
Not open for further replies.