NYCOM Class of 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey does anyone know if we get a "free" Netter's atlas with SOMA membership still? Just wondering before I start looking for one on Amazon. :)

Yes...SOMA just started up again that with membership you'll receive a free netter's! Definitely recommend joining, not only for the free book but because it is a great organization...many scholarship, leadership, and community service opportunities

Members don't see this ad.

Yes...SOMA just started up again that with membership you'll receive a free netter's! Definitely recommend joining, not only for the free book but because it is a great organization...many scholarship, leadership, and community service opportunities

Perfect, thank you! I was planning to join anyway, but wanted to also know it that was still available.

Also, does anyone know what classes are part of the Intro to Osteopathic Medicine component/first part while taking Anatomy until the winter break?

Perfect, thank you! I was planning to join anyway, but wanted to also know it that was still available.

Also, does anyone know what classes are part of the Intro to Osteopathic Medicine component/first part while taking Anatomy until the winter break?

you won't hear about anything on orientation info or intro classes until a few weeks before you start- atleast thats how they did it last year. Intro as well as other sections include everything from medical ethics to biochem so its not really specific classes you will get everything in every system.

for the guy askign about honors info- you can honor each system by being in the top 10% of the grading scale for that system- once you need letter of recommendations for residency they take your preclinical grades, clincial grades and board scores- then if you are in the top 10% of your class youll get an awesome lor- top 15% good letter- and so on-

Members don't see this ad :)

when and where can we sign up for soma?? and do people usually sign up for soma and amsa???

when and where can we sign up for soma?? and do people usually sign up for soma and amsa???

at the beginning of the year in school there's an activities fair where you can sign up for all of the clubs! I think more people join SOMA then AMSA, altho im sure people join both....just because as osteopathic physicians, SOMA is our national organization.

also...at the end of your first 2 years top 15 percent gets inducted into an honor society...you probably have to have honored a majority of subjects to get it.

and yea intro is very random, partly why its challenging because nothing really builds...one day you could have a biochem lecture, one day an OMM lecture, one day a spinal cord/neuro lecture, and then anatomy lectures etc. etc.

Thanks for all the help xtina0 and ndocy! You guys are great! All of the current students on here have been nothing short of informative and kind. I definitely appreciate you all taking the time out of your incredibly busy days to answer all of the questions on here!

Now...how about that rumored iPad we may or may not be getting? ;) :xf:

Thanks for all the help xtina0 and ndocy! You guys are great! All of the current students on here have been nothing short of informative and kind. I definitely appreciate you all taking the time out of your incredibly busy days to answer all of the questions on here!

word!

thank you guys SO much!

reminder to self: do the same next year!

Did anyone receive an financial aid package in the mail? At this point, are we supposed to just go out and work on our own to pay our tuition for the year?

I talked to financial aid a few days ago, and they said we would get it by the end of the month. I'm traveling out of the country in June and July, so I hope this is true!

I talked to financial aid a few days ago, and they said we would get it by the end of the month. I'm traveling out of the country in June and July, so I hope this is true!

Thanks!

Hey, i just wanted to say congrats to all and good luck. Nycom is a great school and study hard:)

Last edited:

No problem hope I helped. I haven't heard anything about the ipad. We got the ipod touch this year which I just put on ebay and used the money to upgrade to the new iphone- ipod touch is pretty pointless if you ask me.

Hey Guys,
I don't know if you guys received your financial aid apps already but on the Preliminary Application for Financial Aid, in Question #6 I am kind of confused about what to fill in that states:

If eligible, I request NYCOM certify my loans in the amount below. If you leave this area blank, we will not be able to process your loans.

$_____Subsidized Loan $_____Unsubsidized Loan $_____Grad Plus Loan
Comments:

***I am class of 2015, intend to live with family and commute to school, and already have health insurance Medicaid/HMO health plan.
Any help would be much appreciated.
:confused:

And about the health insurance waiver, this questions is for TwoCentnews or anyone else who may know. Where did you download the health insurance waiver form. I checked mynyit and did not find anything, where is webboard? Please could you post the link...
Thanks!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
And about the health insurance waiver, this questions is for TwoCentnews or anyone else who may know. Where did you download the health insurance waiver form. I checked mynyit and did not find anything, where is webboard? Please could you post the link...

Hey, I PMed the information to you. :)

Hey Guys,
I don't know if you guys received your financial aid apps already but on the Preliminary Application for Financial Aid, in Question #6 I am kind of confused about what to fill in that states:

If eligible, I request NYCOM certify my loans in the amount below. If you leave this area blank, we will not be able to process your loans.

Comments:

***I am class of 2015, intend to live with family and commute to school, and already have health insurance Medicaid/HMO health plan.

I am having the same problem, I don't know what the right numbers are!

I am having the same problem, I don't know what the right numbers are!
Yes, harper...this is confusing I guess we are supposed to find out from our budget...who knows...and calvin hobbes thanks whats the number to the Orientation/Student life office do you have it on the letter they sent you...

Yes, harper...this is confusing I guess we are supposed to find out from our budget...who knows...and calvin hobbes thanks whats the number to the Orientation/Student life office do you have it on the letter they sent you...

Office of Student Life
New York College of Osteopathic Medicine
NYCOM III / Serota Academic Center -Room 214
Northern Blvd
Old Westbury, NY 11568-8000
Telephone: (516) 686-1293
Fax: (516) 686-3835

Hey Guys,

Comments:

I wasn't sure either, but what I did was look at the blue sheet they sent with Cost of Attendance and then maxxed out the direct sub and unsub, then took the remaining amt and put it for Direct PLUS. I am living near school but my parents are covering that cost and I am also not taking health insurance, but for now I left the numbers in. I think I have heard we can request a higher amt and then only accept what we need later. Also, I think any unused loans get sent back and we don't have to worry about it. Correct me if I'm wrong, if anyone knows different.

Hey TiB77, I think you've already gotten the information, but it's on the webboard, for which the log-in information you should have gotten via snail mail. Its found at talk.nyit.edu, if you dont have username/password, PM me and I'll send them to you. Also, make sure to put Attn: Susan Klein when you send it in so it gets to the right person.

Hope it helps!

Am I the only one who thinks it's weird that it is mandatory for us to have dental insurance and life insurance to attend school? I've never heard of this...

I know we've talked about how the 2011 match just happened so we don't have much of an official word on how NYCOM did (but some anecdotal evidence of good stuff in the Pre-DO thread), but is there any word on 2010? I looked in the DO Match List threads of 2010 thread and NYCOM was not available on there.

Just wanted to see how they did in 2010, that's all!

would any med preppers like to share what they are studying doing the program?? their syllabus maybe?? i was just wondering so some of us could maybe start looking into some material to get a head start as well!

As I filled out my financial aid info out last week, I couldn't help but wonder whether or not our $1,500 acceptance deposit was already credited or not towards our account. Just seemed very expensive still (~47k). Can anyone enlighten me on whether or not our $1,500 was already factored into our tuition and fees?

As I filled out my financial aid info out last week, I couldn't help but wonder whether or not our $1,500 acceptance deposit was already credited or not towards our account. Just seemed very expensive still (~47k). Can anyone enlighten me on whether or not our $1,500 was already factored into our tuition and fees?

1500 was not removed from the tuition yet, atleast thats how they did it last year. you will get it as a refund when they reimburse you.

Awesome apartment, 2BR/2Bath duplex in Forest Hills, Queens

-Rent = $897.50/person includes heat/water
-utilities (WI-FI and electric are about $50/person/month together)
-apartment has a great balcony and high cathedral ceilings
-one block from express train to Manhattan (about 6 stops or 25 mins away)
-washer/dryer downstairs ($1.50 each)
-very convenient to MANY hospitals (especially many NYCOM and SGU rotations)
-4th floor walk-up
-street parking (but usually relatively easy to find spaces)
-great neighborhood, close to shopping and many restaurants on Austin St.
-Starts Sept 1st but can be flexible to move in mid-August.
Me: Female 4th year NYCOM student, easy going, friendly and clean
PM me or email: [email protected]

hey all,

i handed in my fin aid forms not too long ago.. does anyone know when we get the financial aid package?? do you know if there have any problems in the past where students do not get the amount that have asked for in federal loans?? I just want to have peace of mind so that i dont have to worry about financial stuff... n i dont want to have to wait until july.. any insight from upperclassmen would be very much appreciated!!

hey all,

i handed in my fin aid forms not too long ago.. does anyone know when we get the financial aid package?? do you know if there have any problems in the past where students do not get the amount that have asked for in federal loans?? I just want to have peace of mind so that i dont have to worry about financial stuff... n i dont want to have to wait until july.. any insight from upperclassmen would be very much appreciated!!

Hey,

I know someone posted in the Class of '15 facebook group that fin aid dept. said to expect the packages in the 2nd or 3rd week of June. Last year, I remember my financial aid loans being straightened near the end of July, but I think that was due to the fact that it was the first year of the all the loans going through the government (so they were really backed up).

I haven't heard of anyone being denied of federal loans, so I wouldn't worry about it unless of course you have terrible credit.

Also, not sure if it was mentioned on here or not, but you get the disbursement 1-2 weeks into school. So plan accordingly. I remember I almost maxed out one of my credit cards (around 3K) in getting my laptop, books, and furniture while waiting for the loan money to come. haha

Let me know if you have any other questions. You guys can always PM me and I'll respond faster because I'm not on SDN that often. Enjoy the summer folks!! ;)

So I received info on my loan amts and everything earlier this week, and I'm just wondering if those will get applied automatically to our accounts? Do we have to say anything on the e-Bill website or will they just automatically pay for school when they are disbursed?

When I looked at my fee bill online, it looked like they had subtracted the $1500 from the total due for the first half of the year. Log into your e-Bill account and take a look.

hey quick question for the upper upperclassmen, i was just reading the orientation packet, do we really need to buy the oto-opthalmoscope??? or are there instruments on campus we can borrow or use?? also do we need to purchase the bates book??.

hey quick question for the upper upperclassmen, i was just reading the orientation packet, do we really need to buy the oto-opthalmoscope??? or are there instruments on campus we can borrow or use?? also do we need to purchase the bates book??.

Yes, you will need to buy an otoopthalmoscope. You'll be using it in DPR, the training sessions with doctors where they will teach you how to do do physical exams. You can buy one on your own, or you can wait until the representative from Welch-Allyn comes on campus... the prices are about the same either way. You won't need it the first day of class, though. There aren't instruments on campus to borrow. Buy your own stuff and save yourself the hassle of having to borrow from somebody else all the time.

Secondly, you will ABSOLUTELY need Bates. It is THE text on physical examination and is loaded with good information you will use every day on your rotations and for the rest of your life as a physician.

Yes, you will need to buy an otoopthalmoscope. You'll be using it in DPR, the training sessions with doctors where they will teach you how to do do physical exams. You can buy one on your own, or you can wait until the representative from Welch-Allyn comes on campus... the prices are about the same either way. You won't need it the first day of class, though. There aren't instruments on campus to borrow. Buy your own stuff and save yourself the hassle of having to borrow from somebody else all the time.

Secondly, you will ABSOLUTELY need Bates. It is THE text on physical examination and is loaded with good information you will use every day on your rotations and for the rest of your life as a physician.

ohhh ok thanks! also do you know which brands students prefer if they choose to not buy from the welch allyn vendor?? thanks again!

Don't buy from the vendor. Go online and get them cheaper from either ebay or amazon. You won't be using them much (if at all) after DPR because every hospital/clinic exam room is equipped with them.

Don't buy from the vendor. Go online and get them cheaper from either ebay or amazon. You won't be using them much (if at all) after DPR because every hospital/clinic exam room is equipped with them.

ok thanks!!!! also it's ok to buy books that r old editions rt?? bc a friend has the old edition of bate's and such. I just want to make sure nycom doesn't require the newest edition or anything

Hi Everyone,
I'm so excited to meet you all in August.
Is anyone else living in Boerum Hill / Park Slope area and planning to car pool to school?
Michael

Is anyone still looking for a roommate? I'm planning on moving to the area on July 31 or August 1st. I'm a 28yo single male with a well behaved indoor cat. I'm also on an Air Force scholarship and in the DPC track. I'm a clean quiet person. If interested PM me :)

Hey everyone,
I have an apartment in Glen Cove (about 10-15 min from school) with another first year. It's 3 bedrooms on the 1st floor of a house (the second floor is a 2 bedroom apartment that is completely separate). The bedroom that is free is pretty big, as well as the living room and a decent sized kitchen. It comes with working stove, dishwasher, fridge, washer and dryer. The basement is huge for plenty of storage. There is a driveway and a garage that could easily fit 5 cars plus on street parking available. The rent is $2000 a month that we will split equally plus utilities. Lease starts Aug. 1st. If you're interested, you can PM me.

Hi,

I just found out I was accepted this week and I was wondering if anyone still needed a housemate for the coming year or have any suggestions as to where I should look?

I'm very excited to meet everyone! ^^

A new incredible organization: Health Care Students 4 Donation is being started at schools all around New York. The lack of viable organ donors is a crisis and we are trying to resolve it! We are looking for ambitious and passionate medical student leaders to get involved at NYCOM, so if you are interested please facebook message me Elisha 'bryan' Lieber for more info or E-mail: [email protected].