nycom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sholly

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
for those who attend/attended nycom what is the best anatomy atlas to buy? there are 100 atlasas at the bookstores and i wanted to know which is the most helpful. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

sholly said:
for those who attend/attended nycom what is the best anatomy atlas to buy? there are 100 atlasas at the bookstores and i wanted to know which is the most helpful. thanks

First of all, dont buy any atlas yet. Everything can be bought at half the price from current 1st yrs on the nycom webboard. You definitely will be needing a netters (i have one, untouched, ill sell it to you for half the price, around $40) and a grants atlas (only one person in your lab group will need one so dont buy until you start lab). Make sure you look at the stx from the angle provided in grants and not netters or yuchochi's cuz most questions on ur anatomy practical will have that same angle.

THE MOST IMPORTANT book you guys can buy, seriously, is the essential clinical anatomy by moore. Its the concise version of the BIG clical oriented anatomy book...incoming nycom students NEED this book, buy it new cuz u dont want to wait to get it!!! This book is KEY if you want to honor or come close as i did, or just survive and pass if ur a lazy ass. I would browse through the pictures this summer (jus look at all the pictures and you should be good when anatomy starts, plus its fun to jus look at pictures and not read, cuz u wanna have fun during ur summer)

Also when in lab, make sure you look at a stx as if you were going to be asked it on a practical (meaning they're gonna show u the stx from a very different view, one you havent seen before...so keep that in mind)

Good luck and any questions, PM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm a ms1 at nycom.

i agree that essential moore is a good book.
however, it's lacking in clinical correlations- something that is tested on the course exams and possibly one of the most important things to take away from the course for boards and beyond.

1. Baby Moore (essential clinical)
I read everything in the big book for first and 2nd block.. my grades were alright.. 80s... got lazy... read everything in the small book... grades still the same but spent less time meaning more time to study other stuff.

If you know the anatomy well, they can throw any clinical at you and you would be able to have a slight idea. PLus... there is always a clinical correlation class and you can just attend that lecture. Borrow the book from someone else or read it at the library if they have it.

2. The color atlas (the real live thing)
This book helps, GET it for like 75 bucks at the bookstore, or buy it used.

3. Netters - its for free when you sign up w/ AMSA. =) I used it just as relation guide.

I think those 3 are most important. But wait and buy used ones.

Hi,

I will be joining nycom in Aug 04. Does the school provide 1st year students with a list of books we should buy? Do we get to pick and choose what we want to buy from this list or do we have to buy all the books listed? Also where do we buy these book from--a bookstore or students? What if I dont know any 2nd /3rd /4th year students at NYCOM, how can I know who is selling what book?

Please help me I am very confused.

DrDaisy,

Don't worry. Every 1st first year will be assigned a "big brother" or "big sister" during orientation. You will get an orientation packet that will include the list of required and recommended books. However, DO NOT BUY ANY TEXTBOOKS RIGHT NOW. Many students have different styles in the way they study. I tended to use some textbooks and mostly review books along with the notes (some are bad and some are excellent) to try and learn things thoroughly. Others never touched a textbook and have done very well without one.

FYI, anatomy was the only course where I used nearly every single textbook recommended or required. The atlases that I used were Clemente, Netter, Yokouchi (the color atlas showing photographed cadavers), and Grant's dissection atlas. I really liked the Moore textbook (Baby Moore wasn't out yet when I started at NYCOM). Anatomy will be a challenging course because it is one subject that you have to unfortunately rote memorize many facts. Also, it is time consuming. One of the very few differences in our osteo education, in contrast to MD education, is that we really need to know our anatomy better because it helps you learn OMM and musculoskeletal. Eventually, the clinical anatomy will be important than the general anatomy as you continue your career.

In the meanwhile, enjoy your summer!