nycpm loan helpp!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDandreea

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello
I was accepted to NYCpM as an international student and I did not get to much financial aid help. They just gave me a scholarship and advised me to apply for private loan. I needed a cosigner for these loans and i wasn't approved. Therefore, I am left out. There is nothing else i know to do.
HOWEVER, I won the diversity visa loterry which means I could become a permanent resident, soon. not next year, but in 2 years which still gives me some faith that i will be able to attend NYCPM in a few years. MY QUESTION IS : HOW MUCH AID DO US CITIZENS OR PERMANENT RESIDENTS OF USA GET IN THEIR NYCPM FIN AID PACKAGE?( LOANS/SCHOLARSHIP/GRANTS WORK STUDY ETC). HOW MUCH DID YOU GET? I ask this for people who did not have much support from family or other sources. is the financial aid package attractive? if you would tell me numbers would be great because i can make an idea and not just hope that my status in this country is the problem
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

For now

Unfortunately, If you have only a Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence (I-171 or I-464), you’re not eligible for federal student financial aid. So, your only option is private loans. Try to apply to other financial inst. (most famous are City and Chase for int. students) and get a credit worthy co-signer. Try also to borrow less amount, for example if u could not borrow $30000, try 15000, you may be able to get something!!

For later (when u get ur green card):

You can apply for fedral student financial aid. I would not be able (and I do not think any one would) be able to tell u numbers as everyone's finnacial aid package is different depends on ur eligiblity/needs. However, the answer to ur question "is the financial aid package attractive?" I would tell u IT IS THE ONLY OPTION :) if you want to avoid the high ineterst rates of private loans and u do not have a rich dady/mamy.

These links will somehow clarify this issue for you

http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/loanGrantFactsheets.jsp

http://studentaid.ed.gov/students/publications/student_guide/2008-2009/english/importantterms.htm