nycpm mcat score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDandreea

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is nycpm using a cear cut mcat? do they put down an application for mcat? what is the mcat score for admitted students lately in nycpm

Members don't see this ad.

I spoke to Lisa Lee at NYCPM and from my impression, MCAT was not extremely important as long as you have a high GPA (above 3.5).

I spoke to Lisa Lee at NYCPM and from my impression, MCAT was not extremely important as long as you have a high GPA (above 3.5).

They accept a 15 on the DAT so I would not imagine that high of requirement for the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)

That's totally false information. Remember that unfortunately alot of students on this site use what others have to say about the respective schools and admission guidelines very seriously so please be careful when you make such vague generalizations, especially when they are 100% incorrect.

They accept a 15 on the DAT so I would not imagine that high of requirement for the MCAT.

I was told that you must get at least a 16 on each section of the DAT (they don't care about the PAT section, though) and at least a 21 on the MCAT in order to be accepted.

I was told that you must get at least a 16 on each section of the DAT (they don't care about the PAT section, though) and at least a 21 on the MCAT in order to be accepted.

Most schools have requirements, but they dont always follow them. Trust me on that because I can think of a hand full of people who got accepted without meeting all the requirements.

:thumbdown:

Most schools have requirements, but they dont always follow them. Trust me on that because I can think of a hand full of people who got accepted without meeting all the requirements.

:thumbdown:

yuck

That's totally false information. Remember that unfortunately alot of students on this site use what others have to say about the respective schools and admission guidelines very seriously so please be careful when you make such vague generalizations, especially when they are 100% incorrect.

Lisa Lee is the head of admissions at NYCPM. I'm not just quoting some random girl. I spoke to Lisa, because I have not yet taken my MCATS. I have a GPA of around 3.7 and she said that as long as I score decent on the MCATS I will most likely have a good chance at getting accepted. Not having a very high score on the MCATS is not the be-all end-all for getting accepted.

If this information is 100% incorrect maybe you should tell their admissions that so they would not tell perspective students such lies.

Last edited:
:thumbup:

Re-evaluate your statement. PLENTLY of people get accepted to podiatry school without meeting the "required" stats. They take everything into consideration when reviewing an application. A strong GPA, KaitD, def. will compensate for a lower MCAT score, if that be the case. It seems that you're a smart person, so I wouldn't think so negative! I'm sure you will score fine on your MCAT.

Anyhow, thats my $0.02. I would hardly consider her statement to be a "vague generalization", especially since this happens all the time. It's not what you know, it's who you know. :thumbup:

It's not what you know, it's who you know. :thumbup:

Oh yeah, thats a great motto. Whether you like it or not, the MCAT is a good predictor of ACADEMIC success. I understand there is much more to being a doctor, but to become one, there are lots of standardized tests that the MCAT will provide insight into your ability to succeed.

I would love to see the look on a patients face when you say you have no idea what is wrong with their foot, but you know somebody esle who might.

Oh yeah, thats a great motto. Whether you like it or not, the MCAT is a good predictor of ACADEMIC success. I understand there is much more to being a doctor, but to become one, there are lots of standardized tests that the MCAT will provide insight into your ability to succeed.

I would love to see the look on a patients face when you say you have no idea what is wrong with their foot, but you know somebody esle who might.

missed the point. we are talking about getting accepted to podiatry school here. nothing to do with academic success. someone who has a 3.7, or a 3.9, hint...hint, did not nessarily ace the MCAT. Getting into podiatry school is one thing, succeeding in podiatry school is another. Remember, big fish, small sea. Apparently you don't understand my analogies, so nevermind then :p

Anyways, KaitD, we'll talk about this.

Complete BS. The mcat says nothing about academic success. If this is the case, why do we have people with >3.5 GPAs and <25 MCATS. High GPA should means high MCAT according to your logic. Lets not give the mcat more credit than is deserved. It is a clever tool to place the majority of applicants on a somewhat even playing field in regards to those tested subjects and help adcom boards weeds out applicants. It says nothing about academici success, only the how well a student can take a standardized test.

Complete BS. The mcat says nothing about academic success. If this is the case, why do we have people with >3.5 GPAs and <25 MCATS. High GPA should means high MCAT according to your logic. Lets not give the mcat more credit than is deserved. It is a clever tool to place the majority of applicants on a somewhat even playing field in regards to those tested subjects and help adcom boards weeds out applicants. It says nothing about academici success, only the how well a student can take a standardized test.

yeah i agree

Members don't see this ad :)

Re-evaluate your statement. PLENTLY of people get accepted to podiatry school without meeting the "required" stats.

Then what is the point of "required stats." Just because somebody really really really really wants to be a doctor or a air traffic controller or a stockbroker doesnt mean they get to. In life there is risk and rewards. Not everything works out the way each person wants it to, but it is usually as a result of the consequences of their actions.

Podiatry won't gain the respect it deserves until it becomes more stringent with its guidlines and requirements, ie NO DAT.

Then what is the point of "required stats." Just because somebody really really really really wants to be a doctor or a air traffic controller or a stockbroker doesnt mean they get to. In life there is risk and rewards. Not everything works out the way each person wants it to, but it is usually as a result of the consequences of their actions.

Podiatry won't gain the respect it deserves until it becomes more stringent with its guidlines and requirements, ie NO DAT.

Yes but the fact of the matter is based on podiatry schools being less competitive than allopathic programs. By no means does this discredit any podiatric program. It's not like podiatry schools are being flooded with applicants. Although you may disagree, professional schooling is a business; they need to fill all of the seats despite their "required stats". Also, (not that I agree with this), political pull may also be a contributing factor. That's what I meant by "it's who you know", rather than "what you know" (ie. MCAT, GPA etc.).

As far as "podiatry gaining respect" is concerned: I have not spoken with one MD or DO that disrespects podiatry. We all play a crucial role in the healthcare team, despite what you think. To me, it sounds like a self-esteem issue, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Don't get me wrong, I think persistant education and the APMA's vision is crucial...

And what do you think boards are?

Last Time I checked, you must pass your weekly or monthly tests in the classes. The tests you encounter in undergrad are nothing like the mcat style of questions. Yes, the verbal section, NOT THE ENTIRE MCAT, is the greatest indication of your success for future boards. (this is from the mouths of the adcom board personnel, not me)

The reason that MD schools are so strict on MCAT scores does have something to do with high applicant pool, but there are also studies that show on average that people that get >30 will also be more likely to pass/do well on the USMLE. This test is very important to med schools when it comes to stats.

In the podiatry world I do not know if MCAT and boards correlate.

Hey geoff325, I would like to know your reasoning behind this statement. Do you really think that the DATs has that much power to cause the profession of podiatric medicine to have little respect? But more importantly, what makes you think the profession is not respected? All the patients I see at my DPM's office highly respect him...All the doctors (md & do) I have seen him interact with also hold him in high regards. He hold privledges in top-notch hospitals in southern calif. and even does rounds with the residents. Yes, it maybe true that there is a strange dichotomy btw ortho. and dpm but most ortho's choose not to deal with the feet (unless they specialize in feet, and few do) because they can make more $$ dealing with the knees, hips and shoulders and i would assume would be a bit more challanging.

I only wonder why you would be willing to enter a profession you feel is not respected?

Unfortunately, I feel that podiatry is in that same place that dentistry was 10 years ago...a back up plan for some lacking the stats to get into an med/dent school. Even you stated in a past post that you felt your stats were only good enough to get you waited listed for a allopathic md school.

There is nothing wrong with people making adjustments to their career path, as long as they are honesty about their motives and see themselves in that career for the long haul. In the end it only matter if you respect the choices you have made in your life and if you respect yourself.

Strangely I would agree that the MCAT, more so than the DATs would prepare one for the "question type" (being passage based rather than stem based) of the boards but thats it! With practice one can learn the stratagies from doing enough practice exams which we will do anyway to prepare for the boards. I'm curious to know if you have any data that shows the board pass rate from those taking the DAT? Do we really know that those students do worse on the boards? in school? or are we just assuming this?

BTW, I met with a dpm (who happens to be on the board that choose residents at a progam here in southern calif.) and according to him acceptance into a residency program is based on my performance in podiatry school, board scores, letters of rec and the interview. Strange...DATs and MCATS aren't discussed!

Now let me get off my soap box!

I feel that podiatry is in that same place that dentistry was 10 years ago...a back up plan for some lacking the stats to get into an med/dent school. Even you stated in a past post that you felt your stats were only good enough to get you waited listed for a allopathic md school.

There is nothing wrong with people making adjustments to their career path, as long as they are honesty about their motives and see themselves in that career for the long haul. In the end it only matter if you respect the choices you have made in your life and if you respect yourself.

I agree with all of this. In fact, saying podiatry is where dental is 10 years ago is exactly the reasoning/explanation I use when I describe my choice. Also, I too am making a career change. And I do respect the field, obviously I am entering it. I have a dad and two brothers (one radiologist and one ortho-spine) who both think this is a great field. My brothers deal with podiatrists on a daily basis.

My point in a lot of what I say can be pulled from the dental school evolvement. It is now harder to get into because they increased their standards, attracted more qualified and intelligent students and did a better job marketing themselves. Now they have people choosing to go there, instead of it being their only option as when my brothers were entering medical school.

A lot of my feelings about the MCAT and admissions are also dealing with the bottom 10 percent of applicants as well.. i.e. some of these schools that only ask for a 18 or 19 or 20 on the MCAT.

I agree with all of this. In fact, saying podiatry is where dental is 10 years ago is exactly the reasoning/explanation I use when I describe my choice. Also, I too am making a career change. And I do respect the field, obviously I am entering it. I have a dad and two brothers (one radiologist and one ortho-spine) who both think this is a great field. My brothers deal with podiatrists on a daily basis.

My point in a lot of what I say can be pulled from the dental school evolvement. It is now harder to get into because they increased their standards, attracted more qualified and intelligent students and did a better job marketing themselves. Now they have people choosing to go there, instead of it being their only option as when my brothers were entering medical school.

i just posted something similar in the other forum but, i dont think they really 'increased their standards' as much as the applicant pool has risen so much in the past 10 years. with more students to choose from, their stats will naturally go up....they choose the brightest of the bunch.

my brother graduated from dental school in 1997, and now adjuncts at his alma mater. he says that their standards in terms of curricula and clinical education hasnt changed; just because the students had lower incoming stats when he applied, didnt mean that the school graduated subpar students who would put patients at risk. you just didnt have to work as hard comparatively then, in undergrad, to gain admissions as you do now. once you get to professional school, this changes...and he said this is where there is a difference among new incoming students; they are used the the large amount of work...when he went through school a lot of people struggled in their first year to keep up with the work, as they didnt really have to as much in their undergraduate training

I am done with the whole MCAT thing. I gained a great deal of knowledge about podiatry and the application process from SDN, and I have come to the conclusion that I can be of much more service to others by offering more constructive advice.... Consider this my early new years resolution

I am done with the whole MCAT thing. I gained a great deal of knowledge about podiatry and the application process from SDN, and I have come to the conclusion that I can be of much more service to others by offering more constructive advice.... Consider this my early new years resolution

I have to agree with you...This MCAT thread is like beating a dead horse. :eek::scared::sleep::sleep::sleep: