NYIT B.S./D.O. or Stony Brook Premed / Possibility of B.A./B.S. MD Transfer?

Pustulio

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So unfortunately I wasn't very dilligent when it came time to apply for schools in Novemeber/December, and didn't apply to any of the medical programs offered by dozens of universisites (stats are 3.55 [I know it's very low] GPA, 2110 SAT, and very good ECs) and now I'm stuck with two choices, the B.S./D.O. program at NYIT or regular admission to Stony Brook (I applied as a major in BME but I may change this.) For me, both programs cost about 17k/year, although at NYIT I would only be paying this for 3 years. NYIT is also commuting distance from my home.

Which school would it be more wise to attend?

Also, are there any B.A./M.D. or B.S./M.D. programs that accept transfer students? If not, would it be a good idea to transfer out of the school I choose due to it's lack of prestige?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a DO student, and I'm glad I chose this route. That said, the decision was made well after high school and college. If I were in your shoes, I would keep ALL options open. At your age, you barely know what you want… and what you want will likely change as life dishes up a variety of experiences that still await. So, I say don't lock into anything. SDN likes to blow up the MD vs DO issue way out of proportion relative to reality, but there are some drawbacks for those DO students/grads who would rather gone the MD path. Are you absolutely sure you don't want to be an MD? How sure are you that you 100% want to be a physician?

So, again… keep your options open.

The road traveled along the journey of becoming and being a physician is kinda rough (i.e. it really sucks sometimes) to say the very least. If you can think of ANYTHING else that you also enjoy doing (and I am not talking about prestige or what will look good from the outside, but rather something that you actually enjoy internally) and could see yourself finding success with, pick that instead. Your short time of living thus far has not offered up enough opportunity to experience some of these other facets of life and work. Give them a chance before you make a decision that you're pretty much locked into for the rest of your life.

Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
I absolutely agree with Dharma. Forget MD vs DO for now, are you sure you even want to be a physician? I say only join the NYIT program only if it is non-binding (however, 7-year programs are usually binding). You might come to hate NYIT, or perhaps medicine in general. Perhaps you will want to go into academic medicine, or biomedical science, for which MD schools give you the edge. I can't promise you will get into a medical school, but judging by your SAT (about a 98th percentile right?), you shouldn't have too much trouble with standardized testing. In my opinion, taking that 1 extra year will give you far more options than what you have now, which is exactly 1 DO school.

I don't know any BS-MD/DO programs that allow transfers, but if you are hesitating to take this option, don't take it. Also in terms of finances, you will save 1 year in undergrad tuition, but do you save anything for medical school tuition? Literally 1 year of medical school will be more expensive than all your years of undergrad (at 17k/year). However very competitive applicants to medical schools can get recruiting scholarships, and you also have the option of applying to the NY state schools, which will make it MUCH cheaper than NYCOM.

If you do decide to go to Stony Brook, absolutely do not major in BME. It is ruthlessly difficult (you must keep your GPA high), and there are plenty of other medically oriented majors (bio, biochem, pharmacology, clinical lab sciences, health sciences, etc). Also be warned: it is a very prehealth-heavy school, so there will be a lot of competition.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Eh, I'd stay away from Stony Brook if you're looking to do premed. Just my opinion though.

I know that University of Florida has a BS/MD that you can apply to as a college sophomore. I'm not sure if it's just for Florida residents though. Good luck in whatever you decide to do :)

So unfortunately I wasn't very dilligent when it came time to apply for schools in Novemeber/December, and didn't apply to any of the medical programs offered by dozens of universisites (stats are 3.55 [I know it's very low] GPA, 2110 SAT, and very good ECs) and now I'm stuck with two choices, the B.S./D.O. program at NYIT or regular admission to Stony Brook (I applied as a major in BME but I may change this.) For me, both programs cost about 17k/year, although at NYIT I would only be paying this for 3 years. NYIT is also commuting distance from my home.

Which school would it be more wise to attend?

Also, are there any B.A./M.D. or B.S./M.D. programs that accept transfer students? If not, would it be a good idea to transfer out of the school I choose due to it's lack of prestige?

Thanks in advance.

Both options look bad. Doesn't Stony Brook have a BA/MD program? http://www.stonybrook.edu/ugadmissions/newhonors/scholarsmed.shtml