Program-Specific Info / Q's NYIT OT 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wonder if we can get reimbursed for equipment like a lab coat, supplies and lap top with the seasonal loan form or if its strictly for books only.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok so Federal Perkins loan is a low interest federal loan (5% interest) and its available for undergrad and graduate students. In these types of loans the school is actually the lender so we would eventually pay back the school after we graduate of course. The maximum your allowed to borrow is $8000 per year.
oh alright, so the school isn't giving out any? how did you find out about that?

I wonder if we can get reimbursed for equipment like a lab coat, supplies and lap top with the seasonal loan form or if its strictly for books only.
oh I would assume its for any school related expense, I was just particularly asking about the books at the time. that's a great question to ask though!

Members don't see this ad :)
oh alright, so the school isn't giving out any? how did you find out about that?
I called the office today to find out if they have those loans because not every school choose to participate and what not. The lady from the financial aid office told me that the school will not have these loans available for this year due to funding cuts, etc. This really sucks b/c these loans would help. I'm gonna try calling again and asking someone else, sometimes when you get a different person, they tell you something completely different. If you hear anything about these types of loans, keep me posted.

I called the office today to find out if they have those loans because not every school choose to participate and what not. The lady from the financial aid office told me that the school will not have these loans available for this year due to funding cuts, etc. This really sucks b/c these loans would help. I'm gonna try calling again and asking someone else, sometimes when you get a different person, they tell you something completely different. If you hear anything about these types of loans, keep me posted.
Okay I'll write back if I hear anything else!

hey everyone! I know we've all been wondering what the schedule of classes is going to look like for the summer, and I think I found out. I was filling out the seasonal loan form and it asks for the specific credits for each summer cycle, so I emailed Jessica about that information. she got back to me with the breakdown of the classes: Summer 1 (May-June)-4 credits (anatomy) ; Summer 2 (July-August)-3 credits ; Summer 3 (May-August)-3 credits. it wasn't specified which 3 credit class would be in either semester but at least anatomy is definitely the 4 credit one. i'm happy to know that this is how the summer is going to be split up!

Reactions: 2 users
hey everyone! I know we've all been wondering what the schedule of classes is going to look like for the summer, and I think I found out. I was filling out the seasonal loan form and it asks for the specific credits for each summer cycle, so I emailed Jessica about that information. she got back to me with the breakdown of the classes: Summer 1 (May-June)-4 credits (anatomy) ; Summer 2 (July-August)-3 credits ; Summer 3 (May-August)-3 credits. it wasn't specified which 3 credit class would be in either semester but at least anatomy is definitely the 4 credit one. i'm happy to know that this is how the summer is going to be split up!

Thanks for sharing Gina!

Hi guys! I'll also be attending the program in May 2017. I started a fb group so it'll be easier for everyone to get to know eachother and update one another with information. Feel free to join or add anyone you know will be attending the program starting May. The group name is "NYIT OT class of 2020". Can't wait to meet you all :)

Reactions: 1 users
This is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for this I feel so much better- I was really worried we'd be taking all of the classes together straight through-it'll be so much better focusing on one class for a month at a time!

Also, isn't that only 10 credits? I could've sworn they said we'd be taking 14, I'd much rather do 10 though lol.

Last edited:
Do we have to send our official transcripts? I thought that since we provided that on OTCAS, we dont have too.

I'm currently trying to submit my deposit, can someone tell me what I need to select as the term? Is it 2017/2018? I see some of you posted about the term for FASFA but I'm just doing the deposit right now.

Edit: Nevermind, I called the bursar and found out its Summer 2017.
Now I just have to figure out this FASFA stuff. Did anyone make a meeting with their advisor? do we just select one of the 2 advisors they have listed online, or do we wait for them to contact us?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The way I understand it and because NYIT's program starts in May, I think you have to fill out FAFSA for both years. Also, does anyone know the date we will begin classes?
It starts may 24, but I emailed them and they said we would have an orientation thing that is mandatory for 2-3 days before that. If that helps too

Thank you so much for this I feel so much better- I was really worried we'd be taking all of the classes together straight through-it'll be so much better focusing on one class for a month at a time!

Also, isn't that only 10 credits? I could've sworn they said we'd be taking 14, I'd much rather do 10 though lol.
yeah its only 10. from the interview I remember her saying our class was getting a brand new curriculum outline so maybe that's where the difference is coming from!

I'm currently trying to submit my deposit, can someone tell me what I need to select as the term? Is it 2017/2018? I see some of you posted about the term for FASFA but I'm just doing the deposit right now.

Edit: Nevermind, I called the bursar and found out its Summer 2017.
Now I just have to figure out this FASFA stuff. Did anyone make a meeting with their advisor? do we just select one of the 2 advisors they have listed online, or do we wait for them to contact us?
i'm wondering the same thing, I was going to wait until maybe the first week or so of march to see if they emailed me with an advisor other I would have emailed them then.

It starts may 24, but I emailed them and they said we would have an orientation thing that is mandatory for 2-3 days before that. If that helps too
oh okay I wonder why they didn't just send out an email to everyone about an orientation? maybe they're waiting to finalize the class or something

Do we have to send our official transcripts? I thought that since we provided that on OTCAS, we dont have too.
i'm not sure about that either, I feel like they will let us know if they need another official transcript though.

you should join the fb group mentioned before!

i'm not sure about that either, I feel like they will let us know if they need another official transcript though.

you should join the fb group mentioned before!
Thanks Gina. I have joined the fb group. There's very few ppl that joined so far. It would be nice if more joined.

Reactions: 1 user
i'm wondering the same thing, I was going to wait until maybe the first week or so of march to see if they emailed me with an advisor other I would have emailed them then.
Yea I might ask Jessica Triola this week what we should do about that.
When you submitted your deposit did it say MSOT somewhere? It didn't for me but it let me pay so now I'm nervous I paid for the wrong thing lol.

When you submitted your deposit did it say MSOT somewhere? It didn't for me but it let me pay so now I'm nervous I paid for the wrong thing lol.
Okay let me know what she says! And I think it's automatically for ot I'm sure it's linked with the department you applied for. I don't think mine said ot when I went to do it and it's fine lol

The class cycles for the summer is good to know. And i am about to send the deposit in as well. For the classes though, did she say how many days a week that would be? If it's only 1/2 classes a week I was just curious about whether it will be all week or not. Just thinking because in stressing about the housing situation. I'd ideally like to try and commute since it is only a little over an hour from nj where I am from, or even from Hoboken (my sister may want to move out to there) But I am not familiar with Long Island and how much traffic there would be daily going east from jersey or Hoboken day to day. So if anyone has any helpful advice as to traffic situations or living that would be great. (I know some people said queens or Brooklyn would be good too, but idk if my sis will move there lol).
But I joined the fb group as well!

The class cycles for the summer is good to know. And i am about to send the deposit in as well. For the classes though, did she say how many days a week that would be? If it's only 1/2 classes a week I was just curious about whether it will be all week or not. Just thinking because in stressing about the housing situation. I'd ideally like to try and commute since it is only a little over an hour from nj where I am from, or even from Hoboken (my sister may want to move out to there) But I am not familiar with Long Island and how much traffic there would be daily going east from jersey or Hoboken day to day. So if anyone has any helpful advice as to traffic situations or living that would be great. (I know some people said queens or Brooklyn would be good too, but idk if my sis will move there lol).
she didn't say how many days week, although i'm assuming more than once a week for each class. i'm not familiar with long island at all really but its a little over an hour from staten island and I think ill have to dorm, it's just too far to go back and forth after a long day of classes and needing to study.

Summer traffic is a lot lighter because school is out. But don't forget the tolls, one of my daughters go to school in NJ and we live on Long Island. The tolls cost about $30 round trip with the ez pass discount. Sometimes she will take the NJ transit to Penn to the LIRR. You can take that to Hicksville and then get on a bus to NYIT, but that would probably take longer and cost just as much. I wouldn't even think about commuting from Brooklyn, the traffic is terrible. Try Carle Place, Glen Cove, Hicksville or maybe even Bethpage.

Summer traffic is a lot lighter because school is out. But don't forget the tolls, one of my daughters go to school in NJ and we live on Long Island. The tolls cost about $30 round trip with the ez pass discount. Sometimes she will take the NJ transit to Penn to the LIRR. You can take that to Hicksville and then get on a bus to NYIT, but that would probably take longer and cost just as much. I wouldn't even think about commuting from Brooklyn, the traffic is terrible. Try Carle Place, Glen Cove, Hicksville or maybe even Bethpage.
Thanks, that helps alot. Also for anyone who was curious, Jessica did answer that question about classes. This is what she sent me, I can also post this in the facebook group as well. But Anatomy and Anatomy Lab (5/26/17 to 8/18/17) is Friday from 9am-12pm, lab Fri 1pm-4pm. Physiology (7/13/17 to 8/22/17) Tues and Thurs from 3:30-6:30pm. And Intro to OT (5/20/17 to 7/11/17) Tuesday 9:30am-12:30pm and 1:30pm-4:30pm. So even though it may be alot I could try and commute at least for the summer.

Thanks, that helps alot. Also for anyone who was curious, Jessica did answer that question about classes. This is what she sent me, I can also post this in the facebook group as well. But Anatomy and Anatomy Lab (5/26/17 to 8/18/17) is Friday from 9am-12pm, lab Fri 1pm-4pm. Physiology (7/13/17 to 8/22/17) Tues and Thurs from 3:30-6:30pm. And Intro to OT (5/20/17 to 7/11/17) Tuesday 9:30am-12:30pm and 1:30pm-4:30pm. So even though it may be alot I could try and commute at least for the summer.

Wait! Don't classes start 5/24 not 5/20? On the Nyit website it says the first day of classes are 5/24.

Wait! Don't classes start 5/24 not 5/20? On the Nyit website it says the first day of classes are 5/24.
yeah I also thought classes started the 24th..but it also says check-in for the dorms is on the 24th I'm so confused

also, what about the community health class? that's the first class listed on the curriculum, and i'm surprised physiology is separated from anatomy. I can't wait to see what these classes are going to end up being like!

hey have you spoke to her about the advisor stuff who it will be or when we might hear something about it?

also, what about the community health class? that's the first class listed on the curriculum, and i'm surprised physiology is separated from anatomy. I can't wait to see what these classes are going to end up being like!
Don't go by the curriculum that's posted on the website, that's old. We will have a new curriculum for this year, which has about 78 credits as compared to the old one which had 85. I think the community health class will actually be covered in our Intro to OT.

Honestly, I feel like I haven't heard **** from anyone there ever since I paid my tuition deposit. It's like I'm trying to find the answers and its like pulling teeth. I don't why its so disorganized but I really hope they start sending out more info. I was also under the impression that classes would start may 24th but I do remember the lady saying that we would have to meet up a few days prior, I guess for orientation or something about a CPR class certification. Also, want to share that the summer tuition will be 1215 per credit, but the fall tuition is going to be somewhere 1264 per credit.

Don't go by the curriculum that's posted on the website, that's old. We will have a new curriculum for this year, which has about 78 credits as compared to the old one which had 85. I think the community health class will actually be covered in our Intro to OT.

Honestly, I feel like I haven't heard **** from anyone there ever since I paid my tuition deposit. It's like I'm trying to find the answers and its like pulling teeth. I don't why its so disorganized but I really hope they start sending out more info. I was also under the impression that classes would start may 24th but I do remember the lady saying that we would have to meet up a few days prior, I guess for orientation or something about a CPR class certification. Also, want to share that the summer tuition will be 1215 per credit, but the fall tuition is going to be somewhere 1264 per credit.

I'm not sure the class is solidified yet so they probably don't want to send out all info until that time.

hey have you spoke to her about the advisor stuff who it will be or when we might hear something about it?
Hey yea I spoke to Jessica, she said she'll be the one contacting us regarding what courses to register for within the next month or so. She said after the summer, we meet with an advisor before every semester to register.She also said orientation is May 16th and 17th (mandatory).

This doesn't seem too bad, although it is slightly off from what she told Gina. At least they made it so we're only taking 2 classes at a time.

Also May 20th is a saturday, but isn't that class just a tuesday class? interesting theres a one hour break in between. Also kind of interesting that the classes are one/two days a week each!

This doesn't seem too bad, although it is slightly off from what she told Gina. At least they made it so we're only taking 2 classes at a time.

Also May 20th is a saturday, but isn't that class just a tuesday class? interesting theres a one hour break in between. Also kind of interesting that the classes are one/two days a week each!
yeah the dates are a little strange, but yeah the hour break in between is perfect to relax and have lunch in between 2 three hour classes lol. and each class one day a week is awesome, even when physiology starts it still won't be so bad.

Is anyone planning on working part-time this summer, or do you think it's really un-doable? I have a pretty relaxed summer job so I'm planning on working during my off days, I feel like I'll have plenty of time to stay in the library and study before/after class on the days we have school.

I'm debating on whether or not to work as well. I just wish I know the exact schedule for the summer so I can adjust my work hours/availability @mas17

Hello, I was wondering if any of you are applying for the direct plus loan and of you are, did you apply for it already? Thanks.

Hello, I was wondering if any of you are applying for the direct plus loan and of you are, did you apply for it already? Thanks.
i'm going to visit the school on Wednesday to figure out the financial aid stuff in person since it's really confusing, so i'll let you know after that what they say about it.

i'm going to visit the school on Wednesday to figure out the financial aid stuff in person since it's really confusing, so i'll let you know after that what they say about it.

Did you make an appointment to meet with someone in the financial aid office? I was thinking about going there in person...

Okay great. I tried doing the application for the loan and i dont even think they have it open. It was confusing.

Did you make an appointment to meet with someone in the financial aid office? I was thinking about going there in person...
well I made an appointment to tour the dorms with someone, and am just going to visit financial aid after, I don't think you can really make an appointment for that. it probably just depends how busy they are when you get there. I definitely think going in person is the right thing to do, it's just really confusing with the different types of loans and what to accept/what not to accept.

Sorry, I meant may 3o, typo :) but she said our first class isnt until that friday so the 26th or something like that

she also told me that may 15/16 are the orientation days, but I am sure she will email us with all of the correct information, but that is what she said the schedule will be, but could change a little bit.

she also told me that may 15/16 are the orientation days, but I am sure she will email us with all of the correct information, but that is what she said the schedule will be, but could change a little bit.
Yeah they might change a little but it's great to have a pretty good idea how the summer will look! I just wonder why the orientation has to be 2 days

hi everyone. I visited the campus today and toured the dorms as well as met with financial aid. financial aid told me that basically, the ot program is a little difficult because we start in the summer, so that's why things may seem a bit frustrating. she said to accept the entire amount of the unsub. loan, which covers the summer and fall only. then whatever I still need (roughly 9,000) for both semesters, to either take out from the PLUS loan (the form on the gov't website which is available april 1st) or a private loan to cover the remaining balance. she then said to do this once again for the spring semester to start a new academic year which will cover the summer as well.

I know this might seem confusing (it was overwhelming being there listening to this lol) but she really made it simpler and was SUPER nice and helpful so if any of you have any concerns I absolutely think either going there or emailing Cathy Michaels would be a big help.

hope this helps a little!

Reactions: 1 users
has anyone heard from Jessica about advisement? its been almost a month since she told me she would be emailing us all soon about it

I withdrew my acceptance today. Good luck to those on the waitlist and to everyone attending NYIT!

has anyone heard from Jessica about advisement? its been almost a month since she told me she would be emailing us all soon about it
Hi Gina,
The last email i got from Jessica was that registration for summer doesnt begin until early April and that we still have some time. She did mention she would email us about instructions on how to register and orientation details. Hopefully we will hear back soon.

@ fingers-crossed, Congratulations and good luck to you.