NYS Compounding Exam/ January Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmD24K

Reaction score
Hi New Yorkers:

I'm am looking to take the NYS Compounding Exam in January next year. I attend pharmacy school in another state and I am in my final year and unfortunately don't have much information on how to register for the exam and what the requirements are. I have been trying to do my research on the NYSED.gov website but it's kind of confusing to me. What forms do I need to fill out in order to apply for the exam? The NYS professions website says I need to fill out Form 1 and 4. Form 4 is used to confirm 1040 internship hours. Do they mean hours we have acquired during our IPPE and APPE rotations? Can I also use my intern ours from the pharmacy where I work at outside of school? And must the 1040 internship hour requirement be fulfilled before taking the compounding exam? On Form 4, I also need authorization from a representative of the state where I attend school (where I'm doing my intern hours), do they mean the state board of pharmacy in this state or can a representative be a faculty from my school that is responsible for experiential education?

All of the pharmacy students that I know personally from New York seem to run away to another state in order to avoid taking the compounding exam. Is it really that bad? Is it worth attempting to take the exam, especially since I don't have a strong background in this since I went to pharmacy school in another state? What is your advice on that?

For those who took the NAPLEX, MPJE and compounding exam all after they graduated pharmacy school, was it overwhelming trying to study for all within a short time frame? And how did you schedule your exams (NAPLEX, MPJE) for your advantage?

Are pharmacists working in other states still able to reciprocate back into New York state after working as a pharmacist for at least one year? I heard that New York has been planning to revoke this rule? What are your thoughts on this?

For anyone who took the compounding exam this year after the Covid pandemic began, I heard that the actual compounding portion was removed, is that so, and how was your experience? Does anyone know it the January 2020 exam would be in the same format?

Also are there any specific resources available that would help me to prepare for the exam?

Sorry for all the questions, just have so many unanswered questions to ask. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there, follow the instructions found here:

I went to pharmacy school in California and recently finished the exam series for the state of NY.

*Compounding/Part III: I used Dr. Cutie's notes and my Rx Prep book for the compounding exam (called Part III).

*MPJE: I used a combination of Dr. Cutie's notes (a separate set) the law requirements listed here: NYS Pharmacy:Laws, Rules & Regulations for the MPJE-NY. I printed them all out and found it very useful to go over, using Dr. Cutie's notes as a guide.

*NAPLEX: For the NAPLEX, I just used my Rx Prep book.

I'm not sure if I can comment much on the format for the compounding exam this year (I was a part of the cohort that took it online) but study everything. I studied for the exam as if it were a live compounding exam and passed on my first try. As far as the forms are concerned, if you went to an ACPE approved Doctor of Pharmacy program, you only need to fill out forms 1 and 2 only. You can call them and ask to be sure (they aren't very friendly but at least you'll get an answer, that's what I did).

I took all of my exams after graduating and took them in this order: NAPLEX, then Compounding/Part III, and then MPJE-NY.

I passed all of my exams on the first try and was never a particularly gifted student in pharmacy school, if you want it, focus and you'll be okay.