NYS required 1yr residency...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnDoeDDS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question. Since residency will now be required to practice in NYS. Does that mean that everyone who will be finishing dental school here is guaranteed a resisdency spot? I am looking to do AEGD. Dont like ot work in a hospital setting. Now what if my grades are nothing spectacular in dental school, is there a chance that I wont get into any residencies and therefore not be able to practice dentistry in NY??!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I was under the impression that the PGY1 year was not mandatory, but rather an alternative to taking the licensing exam.

oms fan said:
I was under the impression that the PGY1 year was not mandatory, but rather an alternative to taking the licensing exam.

I believe that IS the case right now, but I also think it does become mandatory at some point.

A search of this topic will reveal the answer, but I'm too lazy to do one right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
The PGY-1 becomes mandatory for licensure in NY in 2007 or 2008...I forget which. Anyway, there are presently a large of number of GPR/AEGD postiions in NY and plenty of those remained unfilled after the most recent match. Future graduates who will need a PGY-1 to get licensed should have no trouble finding a spot unless the other states follow NY's lead but fail to create sufficient PGY-1 slots. I doubt that would happen because I suspect PGY-1 licensure requirements will become fashionable nationwide as a way for state politicians to provide dental services to the underserved in lieu of legislating sufficient funding to attract Medicaid providers. Yep, the PGY-1 will be the "fall guy." But maybe some salve will be offered to ease the pain such as partial repayments of student loans (means tested of course ;) ).

thanks. It becomes mendatory in 07, and as far as I can tell it will be instead of the exam. Also another question. How does it get determined which residency you go to. Let's say I want to do an AEGD at some place. Do they look at my grades to get excepted? What if they are nothing special, will I have a problerm getting in? Thanks again everyone.

Just like any other residency, they look at your board scores and grades... some AEGDs are more competitive than others. So yeah, if your grades suck, it will be harder to get into certain programs....

cool thanks guys for all the info. So basically if I want to be a general dentist in NYS I cant afford to simply pass in dental school right because then I wont get into an AEGD program? Also how do they differe amongst each other?

When does the optional residency take effect? This year? Does anyone know how this will effect out-of-state graduates who want to do a gpr or aegd in new york? will there be a lot more competition for those spots since many more nys dental students will be applying now? And are separate spots in the program allocated for nys applicants?

Quit giving yourselves ulcers before you even begin school. Every year, there are several open spots in GPR and AEGD programs after match day. Check this thread to see where spots were open this year.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=192959

Several of these places with open spots will take anyone with a DDS and a pulse, so I wouldn't start stressing so much about getting a GPR/AEGD spot for after dental school.

Actually, I am 3rd year dental student from outside of new york applying this summer for residency and I just wanted to get a feel for my chances into a new york gpr since now more people will be applying. I think those open spots after match day will probably not be as common once the pgy-1 option goes into effect... that's why I was wondering if NY dental students get some sort of priority...

Lin709 said:
Actually, I am 3rd year dental student from outside of new york applying this summer for residency and I just wanted to get a feel for my chances into a new york gpr since now more people will be applying. I think those open spots after match day will probably not be as common once the pgy-1 option goes into effect... that's why I was wondering if NY dental students get some sort of priority...

Of the @230 GPR slots that remained unfilled post match nationwide this year, @170 were in NY. So, I would not even worry until the PGY-1 becomes mandatory for NY licensure in 2007. At that point, competition for the spots might pick up a bit, but I think plenty of PGY-1 slots will still be available for dental school graduates who wish to get a license to practice in NY.