NYU Advanced Programs for International Dentists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Twistedepiphany

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I have been accepted at NYU's Advanced Programs for International Dentists, Interdisciplinary stream.
http://www.nyu.edu/dental/academicprograms/international/index.html

Has anyone previously done this program and have any experiences/ thought to share?

I'm particular interested to know the class size and clinical component of the course.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Which course did you join ? I hope you understand that this course is for people who want to practice outside the US. Just making you aware.

I applied to the Interdisciplinary stream.

And I am aware that it is not a pathway to get into the US, but just want to up my skills. Looking for validation that it is worth the $$$

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys!

I have been accepted at NYU's Advanced Programs for International Dentists, Interdisciplinary stream.

Has anyone previously done this program and have any experiences/ thought to share?

I'm particular interested to know the class size and clinical component of the course.

Hi, I have applied to the Comprehensive program, and do you know what is the difference between yours and Comprhensive?!

Hi Chamfer:

I emailed NYU and apparently, the Comprehensive and Interdisciplinary stream differ in that Interdisciplinary stream is geared for dentists who have already had minimum one year's experience post grad.

So I think Interdisciplinary would just be more of an extension to the Comprehensive course. I've been out for a few years now, so I hope I can follow :xf:

hth

Hi Chamfer:

I emailed NYU and apparently, the Comprehensive and Interdisciplinary stream differ in that Interdisciplinary stream is geared for dentists who have already had minimum one year's experience post grad.

So I think Interdisciplinary would just be more of an extension to the Comprehensive course. I've been out for a few years now, so I hope I can follow :xf:

hth

well I have been out almost 2 years now! but I don't know what I thought at the moment when I was applying that brought me to the point to apply for comprehensive program! But anyway, I guess we'll see each other at NYU! ;)) my program starts in September.

Hmm.. What prompted you to choose this program chamfer? Did you hear good feedback about it, or were you sold from the website description like I was? :)

I'm a little concerned about the stuff that is being said about NYU from these forums though, NYU doesn't seem to have a great rep, and I'm concerned that it may deduct from rather than add to my cv, in case I want to apply for a Masters Program elsewhere.

What do you guys think?

Hmm.. What prompted you to choose this program chamfer? Did you hear good feedback about it, or were you sold from the website description like I was? :)

I'm a little concerned about the stuff that is being said about NYU from these forums though, NYU doesn't seem to have a great rep, and I'm concerned that it may deduct from rather than add to my cv, in case I want to apply for a Masters Program elsewhere.

What do you guys think?

Me too, I want to add s.th to my CV. Where and what did u hear about NYU?!!
don't be negative about it!! how could a dental practice in the US in any way have a bad effect on ur resume?!!

If you do a search on SDN or Dentaltown, the general consensus is that NYU is one of the worst dental schools around. For a number of reasons:
1. Large class size
2. Poor organisation
3. Students generally have lower average gpas . etc.
4. Rumoured reputation of taking students who can pay, rather than academic merit.
5. One of the more well prominent faculty staff left NYU only a year or two ago, apparently because the school was selling out on its principals, and becoming greedy. He took along a bunch of devoted staff with him.

However, all of the above relates to the DDS course, which is not the course which we have both been accepted to. Average class size for the APID programs is usually 20 or less. I am concerned that perhaps the course is poorly coordinated.

Now I'm not saying that those rumours are true, they are simply statements which have been made by others. Even if they aren't true, it is likely to affect the way faculty from other schools view your application, if they think there might be some truth in it. You know the saying, where there's smoke there's usually fire. So if they think you've bought your way into a course, then its going to look bad.

But, if its a great course, then I'd be prepared to just take it and ignore the hype, because I wouldn't need to woo another school. So I'm chasing reviews from ex-students.

well I have been out almost 2 years now! but I don't know what I thought at the moment when I was applying that brought me to the point to apply for comprehensive program! But anyway, I guess we'll see each other at NYU! ;)) my program starts in September.

What do you guys think?

If you do a search on SDN or Dentaltown, the general consensus is that NYU is one of the worst dental schools around. For a number of reasons:
1. Large class size
2. Poor organisation
3. Students generally have lower average gpas . etc.
4. Rumoured reputation of taking students who can pay, rather than academic merit.
5. One of the more well prominent faculty staff left NYU only a year or two ago, apparently because the school was selling out on its principals, and becoming greedy. He took along a bunch of devoted staff with him.

However, all of the above relates to the DDS course, which is not the course which we have both been accepted to. Average class size for the APID programs is usually 20 or less. I am concerned that perhaps the course is poorly coordinated.

Now I'm not saying that those rumours are true, they are simply statements which have been made by others. Even if they aren't true, it is likely to affect the way faculty from other schools view your application, if they think there might be some truth in it. You know the saying, where there's smoke there's usually fire. So if they think you've bought your way into a course, then its going to look bad.

But, if its a great course, then I'd be prepared to just take it and ignore the hype, because I wouldn't need to woo another school. So I'm chasing reviews from ex-students.

Well, I don't know if it's really gonna affect our CV in a bad way, but I went to the school and talked to the program director of the Comprehensive program and he really encouraged me to take this course to improve my CV. I talked to a couple of guys and they were very satisfied too! But one thing I know is that this program is one of the rare programs that lets you to work on patients as a dentist with an international degree.

PS what is Dentaltown?! or SDN?!

Sdn = where you are now.. student doctor network
Dentaltown aka DT = where sdners go to post after graduating as a dentist

And.. not being negative here, but the course director is going to be a tad biased, don't you think?

What specifically did the ex students say about the course? did they mention patient load?

Sdn = where you are now.. student doctor network
Dentaltown aka DT = where sdners go to post after graduating as a dentist

And.. not being negative here, but the course director is going to be a tad biased, don't you think?

What specifically did the ex students say about the course? did they mention patient load?

well yeah, it could be that the program director wants u to pay money for such course, i donno. But I'm looking for courses like this, and I haven't found anything better. the preceptorship programs are stupid!! at least with this u get to work on patients. if u know any other school that offers programs similar to this, please let me know.
About the patient load, the secretary was saying that we have more than 200 000 patients a year at NYU, and the student was confirming everything she said!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, you can save some money and take this kind of dental course or "specialty" taking a clinical-preclinical 1 or 2 year long at UCLA preceptorships.
there are some options that are preclinical and clinical. Besides, there are more options for observationship.
the clinical and clinical 1 or 2 year long courses are
1.- Restorative Dentistry
2.- Esthetic Dentistry
The cost is around 25 to 30 thousand usd per year.

all the other preceptorships such as prosthodontics, perio, endo, implantology and general dentistry are only observationship.

I had the option last year to take one of this courses at NYU but I think they are very expensive because the cost is 75 000 plus 30 000 living expenses, so I prefered to save a little money. Moreover, when I went to NYU and I asked if i will have an advantage applying to the Advanced Placement DDS after the 1 year "specialty" at NYU they told me that usually it never happens, they do not give preference, and very few guys from all the "specialty" programs have did it before.

This summer I start the 1 year preclinical and clinica preceptorship in restorative dentistry at UCLA.
If someone need information just email me.

It is just another option but if you have extra money like 100k to spend in a non-official specialty go ahead.

Hey guys, you can save some money and take this kind of dental course or "specialty" taking a clinical-preclinical 1 or 2 year long at UCLA preceptorships.
there are some options that are preclinical and clinical. Besides, there are more options for observationship.
2.- Esthetic Dentistry

all the other preceptorships such as prosthodontics, perio, endo, implantology and general dentistry are only observationship.

I had the option last year to take one of this courses at NYU but I think they are very expensive because the cost is 75 000 plus 30 000 living expenses, so I prefered to save a little money. Moreover, when I went to NYU and I asked if i will have an advantage applying to the Advanced Placement DDS after the 1 year "specialty" at NYU they told me that usually it never happens, they do not give preference, and very few guys from all the "specialty" programs have did it before.

This summer I start the 1 year preclinical and clinica preceptorship in restorative dentistry at UCLA.

It is just another option but if you have extra money like 100k to spend in a non-official specialty go ahead.

So are u saying that besides the preceptorship program which i think is worthless, there is a program where you can work on patients like NYU?! I mean is the Restorative and Esthetic different from the preceptorship that u have applied to?!

So are u saying that besides the preceptorship program which i think is worthless, there is a program where you can work on patients like NYU?! I mean is the Restorative and Esthetic different from the preceptorship that u have applied to?!

I don't know from where you heard about NYU DDS being a non-reputable program, but take anything you read from an unofficial source with a grain of salt. Have you ever visited the NYU dental school? NYU ranks in the top 25 universities in the United States and the Dental School at NYU is the 3rd oldest and the largest Dental school in the country. Some individuals want a smaller class size, others don't care. Coming from a rather big grad school, my class size has always been large and for me it doesn't matter. But make sure whatever you hear about NYU is from reputable and trust worthy sources. In the US, NYU is regarded as one of the most prestigious schools in the country. The dental school has a 100% passing rate (now thats something the stats tell us, not people writing whatever they wish on SDN or Dentaltown)..

Hi guys!

Hi guys!
i have also applied to the implant dentistry program
but till now, i haven't recive a dicision
its been about 7 weeks since i have sent my application
shoud i wait more or do i need to cantact the intertional office

Hi guys!
i have also applied to the implant dentistry program
but till now, i haven't recive a dicision
its been about 7 weeks since i have sent my application
shoud i wait more or do i need to cantact the intertional office

you should call them and follow up...

finally got most awaited letter..........got my acceptance letter from NYU

I don't know from where you heard about NYU DDS being a non-reputable program, but take anything you read from an unofficial source with a grain of salt. Have you ever visited the NYU dental school? NYU ranks in the top 25 universities in the United States and the Dental School at NYU is the 3rd oldest and the largest Dental school in the country. Some individuals want a smaller class size, others don't care. Coming from a rather big grad school, my class size has always been large and for me it doesn't matter. But make sure whatever you hear about NYU is from reputable and trust worthy sources. In the US, NYU is regarded as one of the most prestigious schools in the country. The dental school has a 100% passing rate (now thats something the stats tell us, not people writing whatever they wish on SDN or Dentaltown)..

:thumbup:

I want to apply to NYU's Esthetic dentistry program , i m a dentist based in India, with three years of experience in general dental practice. i want to apply for fall semester 2012. can anyone help me.

2.- Esthetic Dentistry

Hi
I want to apply for preceptorship at ucla
U suggested good option
Restorative and esthetic dentistry

Is there any tips for applications or something ?
I have just started my journey towards DDS
So right now I am improving my cv

well yeah, it could be that the program director wants u to pay money for such course, i donno. But I'm looking for courses like this, and I haven't found anything better. the preceptorship programs are stupid!! at least with this u get to work on patients. if u know any other school that offers programs similar to this, please let me know.
About the patient load, the secretary was saying that we have more than 200 000 patients a year at NYU, and the student was confirming everything she said!!
HI chamfer im assuming you are done with the program. how was it?