NYU, Bryn Mawr, Columbia, Rutgers Postbacc programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

weaselb

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live in the New York, New Jersey area and am looking at various postbacc programs. I know that Columbia and Bryn Mawr are well respected postbacc programs. What about Rutgers (both New Brunswick and Newark) and NYU? Does it matter if the school has linkages? Any suggestions on what schools would be best to look into? Any other schools to suggest besides these four?

Members don't see this ad.

weaselb said:
I live in the New York, New Jersey area and am looking at various postbacc programs. I know that Columbia and Bryn Mawr are well respected postbacc programs. What about Rutgers (both New Brunswick and Newark) and NYU? Does it matter if the school has linkages? Any suggestions on what schools would be best to look into? Any other schools to suggest besides these four?

Forget linkages. Participating schools offer very few spots for potential linkage candidates and only a few offer spots for guaranteed placement for students from a particular program. Plus, you better have an outstanding undergraduate and postbacc record. Even then, I have personally witnessed many an arrogant gunner completely shut out from linkage and left with little time to study for the MCATs. If there is a particular school you are striving for and absolutely know that you can create the kind of academic and EC record you need to assure yourself a spot, then go for it. Otherwise, obliterate linkage from the important criteria in choosing a program.

Honestly, if you succeed at any of the well respected programs you mentioned above, you will find acceptance to medical school. The choice really comes down to other factors, such as tuition costs, competitiveness of the student body, etc.