**NYU c/o 2010**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
nyc girl 82 said:
The BBL course is available now. Our assignment is to read the first three chapters of the book and be ready to write an essay in class. I guess we don't get to ease into classes this time around.

Alright so how do we read the 3 chapters when we don't even have the books.

Well, i guess, this is the time to summon the great unknown powers and make them bring me a vitalbook dvd, at midnight tonight.

Members don't see this ad.

Mon, Jul 17, 2006 -- Essay on the first day of the class - Please read

Dear Students,
Please go to Course Assignments and read your first assignment for this course. You must come prepared for your first class on September 6 and second class on September 7. You will be asked to write an essay during the first hour on September 6 and 7. The essay is worth 10% of your final grade. You must come prepared to class by reading Section 1 of Mark's medical Biochemistry, a book available on your VitalBook.

To make yourself familiar with the course, please read the posted syllabus under Course Documents. The syllabus provides you with a schedule, course content, goals and objectives and grading policies.

I hope to see you in class on September 6.

First Essay Assignment
Please read and thoroughly understand Section 1, Chapters 1,2, and 3 from Mark's Medical Biochemistry on 1. Metabolic Fuels and Dietary Metabolism, 2. The Fed or Absorbtive State and 3. Fasting.

The 38 pages of these three chapters will be the subject of an essay exam during your first hour in this course.

You must be able to write an essay on a subject from these three chapters while in the class. This essay is worth 10% of your final grade. The subject of the essay will be communicated in class.

Found this on blackboard. 10%? Should I :eek: or not worry and just :cool: when it comes to this class?

So I guess we can cancel the week long drinking binge and start studying...boo :thumbdown: But I still say week long drinking and going out. We definitely have to get a big group together and go out during orientation week. :smuggrin:

fo sho..........
xxJuiceDxx said:
Found this on blackboard. So I guess we can cancel the week long drinking binge and start studying...boo :thumbdown: But I still say week long drinking and going out. We definitely have to get a big group together and go out during orientation week. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
This dampens my hopes of partying my first week in NY. Hopefully the hang overs won't be too bad... although I heard clubs open until 4am and most people don't party until 12am so I guess we have time to recover, do some work, and then party again. :D

Whats up guys. Hope all of you are enjoying the last few weeks of freedom.

I have a dumb question. I was going through the NYU med school site just for ****s and giggles. Well, my girlfriend is applying there so I thought, I wonder how much tuition is. Whoa, why is our tuition 12-13K more than the med school tuition? I'm stupid, so please someone enlighten me on why this is so.

xxJuiceDxx said:
Whats up guys. Hope all of you are enjoying the last few weeks of freedom.

I have a dumb question. I was going through the NYU med school site just for ****s and giggles. Well, my girlfriend is applying there so I thought, I wonder how much tuition is. Whoa, why is our tuition 12-13K more than the med school tuition? I'm stupid, so please someone enlighten me on why this is so.

my best guess, and it's only a guess, is that its for the materials we use. thats all i got

Sowthpaw4 said:
my best guess, and it's only a guess, is that its for the materials we use. thats all i got

Yea, I was thinking that as well. Oh well...

And are any of you guys going to participate in that research thing during orientation week? I got the letter with the postcard and am really looking forward to having an extra $300. But is it worth the time?

Hey all. I'm an SDN virgin here. First post. anyway, cant wait to meet you all in a month. just wondering when everyone plans to move to ny. maybe we can get together even before orientation? ill be there aug 10. if anyone is around by then and wants to meet up i'll buy the first round of drinks

Hey everyone,
Whats the deal with this reading essay assignment due in the first week of class and worth 10%? Did everyone get an email like this b/c. I def. didnt! How do I log into "course assignments" and access the VitalBook?

You have to log-on from www.home.nyu.edu. I don't think you can access the vitalbook from there, but you can view the blackboard course info.
pumacat said:
Hey everyone,
Whats the deal with this reading essay assignment due in the first week of class and worth 10%? Did everyone get an email like this b/c. I def. didnt! How do I log into "course assignments" and access the VitalBook?

Wassap guys,

Im just entering my 3rd year at NYU, just wanted to say congrats on getting accepted. Enjoy the rest of ur summer and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

hey guys...i can't believe that we only have less than a month before orientation...i'm really excited to meet all of you guys...not to mention seeing the school for the first time...i kno im going to miss LA sooooo much...but then i'll be back and i know that i'll love living in nyc...anyways i'll get there on 8/20...take cares everyone for now...now i just got to buy my laptop and pda...haha..i've been laggin on it...

Did anyone else get a second health information packet? It asks for the same information as asked in the previous one but in a different format (bubble sheet format). This is an overkill!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know when am I supposed to let the school know if I decide to enroll in the NYU health insurance? I misplaced that little brochure they sent me.

I think the deadline is Sept 30th, but I'm not 100% sure about that. You can check it out on the health services website from NYU home page.
http://www.nyu.edu/nyuhc/insurance.html
xxJuiceDxx said:
Anyone know when am I supposed to let the school know if I decide to enroll in the NYU health insurance? I misplaced that little brochure they sent me.

Hey guys,

Anyone know when the first day of class is? I know that we have orientation from the 21st through the 25th. I believe that class starts early Sept, but does anyone know for sure? If it does start early Sept, then do we have time off between the 25th of Aug and first day of class?

drengineer, I called the Health services office few days ago and asked them if we have to submit that second health information packet. She said we have to submit only the student section and don't have to have it filled out by our health provider.

The dental school health office will send your submitted immunization paperwork to the other office. So all you have to do is fill out the student section.

Generallee..I think the first day of classes is on august 28th.

nshah613 said:
drengineer, I called the Health services office few days ago and asked them if we have to submit that second health information packet. She said we have to submit only the student section and don't have to have it filled out by our health provider.

The dental school health office will send your submitted immunization paperwork to the other office. So all you have to do is fill out the student section.

Generallee..I think the first day of classes is on august 28th.

Thanks for sharing the information man.

Generallee said:
Hey guys,

Anyone know when the first day of class is? I know that we have orientation from the 21st through the 25th. I believe that class starts early Sept, but does anyone know for sure? If it does start early Sept, then do we have time off between the 25th of Aug and first day of class?

Don't we have a class on the 28th? I thought that was the first day of school. If it does start in Sep., even better.

Hi, i am looking for somebody who is interested in sharing an apartment at waterside. It's $1270 a month + 3 months deposit. The apartment is big and it's a beautiful residence to live in, just 5 minutes walk from the dental
school. If anyone interested, PM me.

doctor_pureness said:
Hi, i am looking for somebody who is interested in sharing an apartment at waterside. It's $1270 a month + 3 months deposit. The apartment is big and it's a beautiful residence to live in, just 5 minutes walk from the dental
school. If anyone interested, PM me.

Where were you when i was looking for you.
Now i can't cancel my dorm contract anymore.

Anyways, who are the people who have signed up for the dorms?

drengineer said:

i have, i just hope i get the private bedroom option I asked for. Is anyone planning on bringing family that week to settle in and stay in your dorms with? I hear we can only sign them out for a max of 3 nites but I suppose if we get each other to sign them out then its okay, lets say if it were for 5 nites

how do we access our email account? i was never notified of what mine was. and do you know what the orientation schedule is, cause i never found out about that either. thanks

for those of you guys who already got interviewed... what sorts of questions do they ask you and what do u do there? Thanks!!!

drengineer said:

i'm in the dorms, i think its official now that july 21st has passed.

Sowthpaw4 said:
i'm in the dorms, i think its official now that july 21st has passed.

I wonder if its official in whether we get the rooms we asked for.

yxz said:
for those of you guys who already got interviewed... what sorts of questions do they ask you and what do u do there? Thanks!!!

Dude, they really grill you!!!
They ask you about what perfume you like and if you don't give the right answer, you're pretty much done.
They ask you about your favorite color, and beware, pink is not the right answer.

In other words i have no clue. I didn't had to go for an interview but from my other interviews at other schools, it's usually pretty chill. They ask about hobbies, job experience, research experience if any, your take on current situation, etc. Just be honest and yourself. Let yourself shine but don't use excessive polish.

Dr.Dudette said:
how do we access our email account? i was never notified of what mine was. and do you know what the orientation schedule is, cause i never found out about that either. thanks

You should have received a letter in the mail with your NYU ID and email address... If you didn't get one, I would contact admissions...

https://start2.nyu.edu/ibin/start0.cgi

You can get your email/NetID here.

Just wondering but will we have to collect teeth anytime soon? I keep on hearing other first years at other shcools talking about it and some crying and stressing over it. :D

How is everyone paying for the tuition posted up on Albert now?

Got a billing statement from the Bursar for 32k. Talked to one of the advisors there and he just told me to send in the payment stub with a note stating that I'm waiting for my loan money to come in and that the loan is how I am paying the bill. Hope that helps and if anyone else hears something different please do share.

ddsnyu2010 said:
no seriously, what is albert?

Its a system that lets you access things like your schedule, grades, financial statements (tuition due), etc..You can reach it through NYU HOME after logging in with your net ID and password.

does anyone know if class gets cancelled the day before thanksgiving (on the wednesday)? is it a half day?

Do dental school students have access to Palladium and Coles gym?

DWade101 said:
does anyone know if class gets cancelled the day before thanksgiving (on the wednesday)? is it a half day?

Usually not. You just get the Thursday and Friday off.

nyc girl 82 said:

Yeah you get free access to both. Just have to take your NYU ID

Hey everyone, I've just been accepted to McGill University in Montreal, and am dropping my spot at NYU. Hopefully it's not too late for a waitlisted applicant to take the spot. I wish you all the best of luck in the future, it's a shame that I won't get the chance to meet you all. I'm sure we'll all be great dentists and accomplished professionals in the future :D

Galen1 said:
Hey everyone, I've just been accepted to McGill University in Montreal, and am dropping my spot at NYU. Hopefully it's not too late for a waitlisted applicant to take the spot. I wish you all the best of luck in the future, it's a shame that I won't get the chance to meet you all. I'm sure we'll all be great dentists and accomplished professionals in the future :D

I can't believe you did it to us!
But goodluck at McGill.

nyc girl 82 said:

I was told we do by some of the 1st years. ****, we better, considering we're paying an outrageous amount for tuition. But the Palladium is supposed to be uber-pimp, so I'm excited to check it out.

Question for the current students: Is Coles closer to the dorms than Palladium? Which gym has less people in the weight room? Can't stand lifting in gyms when people don't go there to work out but moreso to socialize.

hi dr engineer,
i was just missin you guys...dental school won't be the same w/out you all!

xxJuiceDxx said:
I was told we do by some of the 1st years. ****, we better, considering we're paying an outrageous amount for tuition. But the Palladium is supposed to be uber-pimp, so I'm excited to check it out.

Question for the current students: Is Coles closer to the dorms than Palladium? Which gym has less people in the weight room? Can't stand lifting in gyms when people don't go there to work out but moreso to socialize.

Palladium is much closer but Id say Coles has much less ppl in the weight room. Then again the last time I checked the weight room at coles wasnt A/C'd so its like a 1000 degrees in there

Mysteree said:
hi dr engineer,
i was just missin you guys...dental school won't be the same w/out you all!

Hey Mysteree we all love you so much!

It's nice to hear that we have access to both Palladium and Coles as dental students.
Does anybody know if there are any tennis courts with lights that we have access to as NYU students or general public. The roof top courts at coles shut down at dusk which basically suck. Why can't they put lights on there?!

If I'm not at school or at home, I'll be at the Palladium playin hoops! It will definitely be my 3rd home these next 4 years. So, for all you ballers out there, lets get ready to play some ball! I've never been to Palladium, but from the website and virtual tours, it looks awesome...can't wait...

Somehow we all gotta meet up during orientation to play some hoops... :D

Another question for you NY locals. How hard is it to get Giants tickets? Seems like home games are sold out to season ticketholders. Any of you guys down to go to a Giants game if its even possible? For example, Peyton vs. Eli on Sep. 10. Giants D vs. Da Bears D on Nov. 12. Wow...

xxJuiceDxx said:
Another question for you NY locals. How hard is it to get Giants tickets? Seems like home games are sold out to season ticketholders. Any of you guys down to go to a Giants game if its even possible? For example, Peyton vs. Eli on Sep. 10. Giants D vs. Da Bears D on Nov. 12. Wow...

Jets tickets might be easier to find.