NYU Class of 09

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aar239

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that's where I'll be going in Aug. That is unless I get an acceptance to Cornell in March or by some miracle Mt. Sinai decides to finally interview and accept me!
Any one else out there planning on going to NYU?

Members don't see this ad.

aar239 said:
I'm pretty sure that's where I'll be going in Aug. That is unless I get an acceptance to Cornell in March or by some miracle Mt. Sinai decides to finally interview and accept me!
Any one else out there planning on going to NYU?

I'm planning to...only i need an acceptance first! I interviewed back in october so I'm hoping to hear something feb. 15th. wish me luck, i thought the school/city/students were awesome at the interview.

blz said:
I'm planning to...only i need an acceptance first! I interviewed back in october so I'm hoping to hear something feb. 15th. wish me luck, i thought the school/city/students were awesome at the interview.

same here.....interviewed in november, and realized that a lot of people have already received acceptances - trying not to think the worst, but my interview went kinda bad - but i loved the school regardless!

good luck!!! :luck: :luck: :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
NYU is one of my top choices - interviewed in January and am hoping for good news!!!

good luck to all - hope to see you next year! :luck:

lulubean said:
NYU is one of my top choices - interviewed in January and am hoping for good news!!!

good luck to all - hope to see you next year! :luck:

I second that.. I just interviewed last week (due to complete procrastination in aamcas and secondaries) and I absolutely loved it.... anyone else interview with Dr. Ort, she was amazing!!!

One question.... Anyone kinda weirded out by the co-ed bathrooms??

One question.... Anyone kinda weirded out by the co-ed bathrooms??[/QUOTE]
Yeah the housing is one thing that I didn't like when I saw it. I go to the NYU now and the housing for undergraduate freshman isn't as bad as it is at Rubin. No undergraduate or graduate dorms have communal bathrooms so I think it's really weird to have it for the med students.
Oh well..I still loved the school so I'll still be there in Aug!

NYU is definitely one of my top choices right now, but still also deciding between Mt. Sinai, U mich, and U MD (my state school). I love NYC though!

the dorms @ yale also had coed bathrooms...I stayed there over the summer...They seemed a little newer perhaps than those at NYU, but the ones at NYU really weren't that bad...communal bathrooms are great because you don't have to clean them!!

aar239 said:

NYU's my current top choice! Waiting on the non-rolling schools, but would LOVE to be there come August! Yay!

LOL. I haven't heard a word from NYU. Sinai called though :) Are you my evil twin? ;)

bumpity bump bump

Members don't see this ad :)
I got into NYU on 12/25 and have been waiting for this post to go up; got some money to Miami which is tempting but I am very excited about being at NYU in August!

I will definitely be at NYU in august :)

Anyone interview early (like october) that did not hear yet? I guess I got rejected because if they wanted me they'd tell me by now atleast. :(

blz said:
Anyone interview early (like october) that did not hear yet? I guess I got rejected because if they wanted me they'd tell me by now atleast. :(

I disagree... NYU is rolling admissions so if they definitely didn't want you, they would have rejected you already post-interview. If anything, the lack of response you've gotten from them suggests that they put you in a hold/waitlist pile and wanted to wait until the end of the interview season to decide on you. I'm fairly certain you're still in the running. Good luck next week! (Good luck to myself as well lol)

rugirlie said:
I disagree... NYU is rolling admissions so if they definitely didn't want you, they would have rejected you already post-interview. If anything, the lack of response you've gotten from them suggests that they put you in a hold/waitlist pile and wanted to wait until the end of the interview season to decide on you. I'm fairly certain you're still in the running. Good luck next week! (Good luck to myself as well lol)

From reading previous threads, I actually heard that NYU's acceptances are given on a rolling basis, but the rejections and waitlists are given on Feb 15th. So, the lack of response could mean either.

I'm in the same situation as the previous poster. I interviewed mid-November and haven't heard anything. My interview wasn't very stellar, so i'm not expecting much. Good luck everybody! I'll be sending out good vibes next week!

any of you planning on attending second-look weekend March 4-6? i am hoping to see some of you there! :)

lulubean said:
any of you planning on attending second-look weekend March 4-6? i am hoping to see some of you there! :)

How did you find out about it? I know they have a minority second look weekend, but is this one for everyone?

Yeah - i never heard anything about it and would be interested in more info if it's available to everyone.

kimmer579 said:
How did you find out about it? I know they have a minority second look weekend, but is this one for everyone?

hm. i got an email on 2/16 about it. it doesn't specifically say that it is a minority second look weekend, but that is a good question. it might be? anyone else get an email about it?

Yeah I got the same e-mail a couple of weeks ago. It is only for minority students though because it is run by the school's BALSA club which is a black and latino student organization. I am planning on going so I hope to see u guys there :)

to the accepted future class of nyu med -- congrtas on being accepted! i'm a rising 2nd year and am moving into nyu med apartment housing with a rising 3rd year. we're considering a third person for our place, and are open to having one of you lucky incoming 1st years move in with us. we're VERY laid back, clean, respect each other's space and are looking for same. we both work hard and play hard and are looking for someone who's not a complete book worm and not a complete party animal -- someone who can "keep it real." male/female okay. rent is ~ $700/month including everything. deadline is VERY soon -- need to know by the end of this week (3/17/05). sorry for the late notice. write back if interested! you must be sure you're attending.

Hey guys,
Is there any1 whose going to NYU thinking bout doing the honors program this summer.? I was really thinking bout doing it but I don't wanna be burned out from research before school starts. I kinda wanted to relax this summer. I'm having a hard time deciding because if I do the honors reserach this summer I will be able to stay in the city and move into my dorm early although I'll be in the lab from 10-5. What do you guys think?

I think I've posted elsewhere that if I go to NYU I'm def doing it--chance to move in early and get used to the city, etc...In other news, I got my financial aid package from them...eh...I'd be about 195k in debt if it stays constant over 4 years...that's a lot of debt!!!!!!

I must have missed something . . . where did you learn about the honor's research stuff? Is it from that packet they gave us at interviews?

the1111gal said:
I think I've posted elsewhere that if I go to NYU I'm def doing it--chance to move in early and get used to the city, etc...In other news, I got my financial aid package from them...eh...I'd be about 195k in debt if it stays constant over 4 years...that's a lot of debt!!!!!!

Yeah, my financial aid package sucked, too. What's the deal? I would have thought NYU could have afforded to give out a little bit more! Come on, NYU! Stop being cheap.

I actually have the opposite reaction to my financial package..I luv it!!! I got 31,000 in NYU scholarship so I'll only have to take out bout 17,000 in loans. My package pretty much finalized my decision to go to NYU :D

damn, that's awesome aar239. I still haven't received my fin aid package yet - when did you complete your FAFSA?

About the honors program, i contacted the coordinator to ask her how students who do not start the summer before 1st year complete the program by the end of school. Here's what she said:

option 1: start summer going into second year, finish during third year elective block option 2: start summer going into second year, finish during fourth year elective block option 3: start third year during elective block, finish fourth year during elective block option 4: take off a year between third & fourth for research

I think i'd rather take the summer off before starting school and just complete the program through options 1 or 2. Working 9 weeks during an elective block seems pretty doable...it's not a huge chunk of time.

I don't understand this, I called NYU today and they said that they haven't started with financial aid packages yet and that they would start looking at FASFA reports next week. Strange...

Anyone know when orientation/classes start for next year?

why must they always lie to us? sorry they lied to you adog! silly schools :(

Congratulations everyone! NYU is an AWESOME school and you are about to embark on an awesome journey. Feel free to PM with any questions.

C-O-N-G-R-A-T-S

Thought I would bump this thread. NYU seems to get no love around here, but I am about 99% sure NYU is wehre I will be next year, and I was hoping to link up with anyone else who is going to be there next year as well. I am very excited, and can't wait till August.

FaytlND said:
Thought I would bump this thread. NYU seems to get no love around here, but I am about 99% sure NYU is wehre I will be next year, and I was hoping to link up with anyone else who is going to be there next year as well. I am very excited, and can't wait till August.

Hey everyone, I just got an offer off of the waitlist today, I am just not sure if I want to go yet!! To those of you who received financial aid packages, did any of you NOT get any sort of free money at all? I am just curious if I should expect at least a couple thousand? (1, 2, 3, anything) to help defray the costs a bit. Also, to anyone that is married or in a long term relationship, does anyone know anything about couples housing?? My long time girlfriend will be accompanying me and I was just curious about this aspect. Thanks everyone!!!

Hey jodvez,
Congratulations on your acceptance. I got no free money from them. I got the maximum subsizidized stafford amount which helps a little (efc of 0), but that's the best part of my package....just goes downhill from there. I can't wait to attend though and am actually crazy enough to not factor money into my decision to go there. It isn't because i have the money, it's because i really think nyu is a great place. If it is aecom or nyu for you and you like new york city and what nyu has to offer, i don't think you have much of a decision to make.
As for the married housing, i'm getting married in a month and asked a lot about this during my interview and with the housing people. Unfortunately, there is no "couples housing", but you can apply for housing in the Sackler Institute. It is very reasonable there (somewhere around 700-1200 in price range) and the rooms are a little bit bigger than what you can get at Rubin Hall...although they only offer one bedrooms and nothing bigger. If your spouse isn't the medical type (as mine isn't), living in a hospital isn't the greatest either. I think there are some apartments in sackler that don't have more than one window in them. And for being married and living in Rubin, you don't want to even try that...unless sharing a bathroom with other people on your floor is your thing.
I just moved across the street from nyu med in this insane building called kip's bay towers. It is amazing. The complex itself is composed of 4 buildings which pretty much occupy 30-33 streets between 1st and 2nd avenue. You have a private park. You have a great apartment (studios are roughly 700-800sq ft. and one bedrooms go to 1400 sq ft.), a great building where tons of residents, med students, and doctors live, and couldn't be closer to nyu. Apartments there are more expensive to rent than student housing. Studios are 1700 and up and one bedrooms probably start at around 2000. BUT the units are MUCH cheaper here than other neighborhoods in manhattan because of the buidling's location on 2nd avenue (it's a little far from the subway). Go to www.kipsbaycondo.com or www.kipsbaytowers.com and call the number to find any available spaces. I'm having a great time living here.
Basically, unless it is your only option, you will be a lot happer living off campus. The housing department was pretty unhelpful in helping find a place for my wife and me. The woman who works there will help you find a place off campus by working with other brokers...but there is a markup on this type of service and you'll probably end up paying more this way than by going with a no-fee listing. If you need help or have any questions, feel free to PM me. Hope this helps.

Iamajew said:
Hey jodvez,
Congratulations on your acceptance. I got no free money from them. I got the maximum subsizidized stafford amount which helps a little (efc of 0), but that's the best part of my package....just goes downhill from there. I can't wait to attend though and am actually crazy enough to not factor money into my decision to go there. It isn't because i have the money, it's because i really think nyu is a great place. If it is aecom or nyu for you and you like new york city and what nyu has to offer, i don't think you have much of a decision to make.
As for the married housing, i'm getting married in a month and asked a lot about this during my interview and with the housing people. Unfortunately, there is no "couples housing", but you can apply for housing in the Sackler Institute. It is very reasonable there (somewhere around 700-1200 in price range) and the rooms are a little bit bigger than what you can get at Rubin Hall...although they only offer one bedrooms and nothing bigger. If your spouse isn't the medical type (as mine isn't), living in a hospital isn't the greatest either. I think there are some apartments in sackler that don't have more than one window in them. And for being married and living in Rubin, you don't want to even try that...unless sharing a bathroom with other people on your floor is your thing.
I just moved across the street from nyu med in this insane building called kip's bay towers. It is amazing. The complex itself is composed of 4 buildings which pretty much occupy 30-33 streets between 1st and 2nd avenue. You have a private park. You have a great apartment (studios are roughly 700-800sq ft. and one bedrooms go to 1400 sq ft.), a great building where tons of residents, med students, and doctors live, and couldn't be closer to nyu. Apartments there are more expensive to rent than student housing. Studios are 1700 and up and one bedrooms probably start at around 2000. BUT the units are MUCH cheaper here than other neighborhoods in manhattan because of the buidling's location on 2nd avenue (it's a little far from the subway). Go to www.kipsbaycondo.com or www.kipsbaytowers.com and call the number to find any available spaces. I'm having a great time living here.
Basically, unless it is your only option, you will be a lot happer living off campus. The housing department was pretty unhelpful in helping find a place for my wife and me. The woman who works there will help you find a place off campus by working with other brokers...but there is a markup on this type of service and you'll probably end up paying more this way than by going with a no-fee listing. If you need help or have any questions, feel free to PM me. Hope this helps.

Hey man thanks for the heads up, I sent a somewhat intelligible PM.

Can anyone tell me the move in date and first date of orientation for NYU M1s this August. Thanks!

I called the office and heard that the orientation starts in Aug 22nd. Hope this helps!
Drdrums said:
Can anyone tell me the move in date and first date of orientation for NYU M1s this August. Thanks!

jdovez said:
Hey everyone, I just got an offer off of the waitlist today, I am just not sure if I want to go yet!!

Hey jdovez,

Do you mind supplying a few more details - How you received the acceptance (email/phone/snail mail), who called, etc. Thanks! Congratulations on your acceptance. I wish you the best of luck with your decision.

LII said:
Hey jdovez,

Do you mind supplying a few more details - How you received the acceptance (email/phone/snail mail), who called, etc. Thanks! Congratulations on your acceptance. I wish you the best of luck with your decision.

Hey there LII. I actually received a snail mail letter informing me that I was admitted. I got it on saturday but it was dated may 13. Not sure if they waited to send it or if it just took a long time to arrive. If you have any additional inquiries let me know. I'm navigating the NYC housing market now to decide if this is the right move.

jdovez, had you received an email in the last week asking about your continued interest?

Wow, this thread has come to life again...I have to say that has gotten me a bit more excited for next fall.

About the beginning of next year, Orientation does start on August 22 (Monday) and we are allowed to move in on August 18 (the preceding Thursday).

I did get my financial aid as well, my EFC was 1000, and I got 3000 in free money. I think it may have helped though that I have a younger brother in college as well. All i nall the money doesn't worry me, because it wasn't going to be much cheaper than the 50 grand a year I am looking at at NYU. I was shocked when my state school sent me a budget of around 41,000 with no scholarship money--all loans. For me, its worth the extra 10 grand a year to be at a better med school in a much better location.

Looking forward to meeting everyone next year.

Drdrums said:
jdovez, had you received an email in the last week asking about your continued interest?

In fact I did receive an email asking about my continued interest on May 12. The letter offering me admission was dated May 13 (I emailed them back within minutes on the 12th indicating my interest). But I did not receive the letter until the 21st (and in the letter it had my old address, but the envelope had my new address.....go figure). I am not sure if they waited a few days to send it, or if somehow it just took a long time for the post office to find me :) In any event, I am going to call today to see if there is any way that I could receive some sort of financial aide information and/or housing information prior to making my decision. I am heavily leaning toward NYU, but looking at the housing market is a bit depressing!! In any event, thanks to all for the info, and if I do end up going, I will do what I can to keep this thread going strong ahhhnold after drinking a Red Bull.

FaytlND said:
Wow, this thread has come to life again...I have to say that has gotten me a bit more excited for next fall.

About the beginning of next year, Orientation does start on August 22 (Monday) and we are allowed to move in on August 18 (the preceding Thursday).

I did get my financial aid as well, my EFC was 1000, and I got 3000 in free money. I think it may have helped though that I have a younger brother in college as well. All i nall the money doesn't worry me, because it wasn't going to be much cheaper than the 50 grand a year I am looking at at NYU. I was shocked when my state school sent me a budget of around 41,000 with no scholarship money--all loans. For me, its worth the extra 10 grand a year to be at a better med school in a much better location.

Looking forward to meeting everyone next year.

I have been looking into the cost of NYU and it appears that for the incoming 2009 class, the cost of attendance has increased by 3K over the cost of the class of 2008. Further extrapolation using the MSAR indicated that tuition and fees increased by 2K the previous year (those comprised 2400 of the 3000 increase for the next years class). So, the cost of attendance over the last two years has increased at about 2500-3000 a year. Damn. Schools are expensive, but the rate of increase is pretty ridiculous (I know this same trend holds throughout the nation, though probably not as steep). If it holds, then by the time we are finished, we will owe about 27,500 above the amount if costs held steady at the class of 2008 rate of 51,880 (including health care costs). That would mean the total cost of attendance if you start next year would be about...$234-235K. Interesting.