NYU College of Dentistry students to take classes with nurses???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Da ObtURator

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was taken by surprise at the following letter that states that nursing and dental student would be taking classes together. What do you guys make of this??? Please read below.

EMERGENCY MEETING
NYSDA OPPOSES MERGER OF
NEW YORK UNIVERSITY
DENTAL AND NURSING SCHOOLS
Wednesday, January 19, 2005
6:00 p.m.
New York Grand Hyatt Hotel, Manhattan Ballroom
109 East 42nd Street, New York, NY, Between Lexington and Park Aves.

NYSDA is sponsoring an emergency meeting of all NYU College of Dentistry Alumni and students who are interested in assisting the Association in obtaining a delay to the merger of the College of Dentistry and the College of Nursing. NYSDA believes strongly that no justification for the merger has been presented, that it is based on a faulty understanding of the law, provides no benefit to the nursing program and will only serve to undermine our efforts to continue elevating the stature of dentistry within the state and nation.

NYSDA has enormous respect for the nursing profession, but rejects the notion that there is such an overlap between dental and nursing curriculum that doctors of dentistry can be trained in the same school sharing many of the same courses with nurses at the baccalaureate level.

NYSDA has enlisted the support of the ADA in its effort, but at this time, it is critical that the local communities of interest such as alumni and students make their voices heard. Please attend the meeting next Wednesday where there will be a full discussion of NYSDA’s position as well as the development of a strategy for us to educate the administration at NYU regarding the inappropriateness of merging the dental and nursing schools.

Thank you in advance for your support.

http://www.nysdental.org/news/details.cfm?ID=59

Members don't see this ad.

It just sounds like the school is trying to cut costs by consolidating the two groups, not that big of a deal. Do you think nurses are lowly or something?

Omahahahaha said:
It just sounds like the school is trying to cut costs by consolidating the two groups, not that big of a deal. Do you think nurses are lowly or something?

Next thing NYU should do is: Med Students, Dental Student and Nursing Students Take Join Classes
I mean we all study the same thing :)

Members don't see this ad :)
zidanereal2003 said:
Next thing NYU should do is: Med Students, Dental Student and Nursing Students Take Join Classes
I mean we all study the same thing :)

I just joined this whole topic, but if they wanted to cut costs why did the school not join the med and nursing school since they usually do work in the field together. Then if NYU has a dental hygenist program they could merge that with the dental school since they do work together in the field. I just dont see how nurses and dentists correlate with eachother. When I go to the dentist, there are never any nurses in the office. There are in OMFS, but that is a specialty and you usually get an MD. When I go to the doctor however, there are always nurses there. :rolleyes:

frogger33 said:
I just joined this whole topic, but if they wanted to cut costs why did the school not join the med and nursing school since they usually do work in the field together. Then if NYU has a dental hygenist program they could merge that with the dental school since they do work together in the field. I just dont see how nurses and dentists correlate with eachother. When I go to the dentist, there are never any nurses in the office. There are in OMFS, but that is a specialty and you usually get an MD. When I go to the doctor however, there are always nurses there. :rolleyes:

There is a dental hygeine program here at the dental school

Da ObtURator said:
I was taken by surprise at the following letter that states that nursing and dental student would be taking classes together. What do you guys make of this??? Please read below.

EMERGENCY MEETING
NYSDA OPPOSES MERGER OF
NEW YORK UNIVERSITY
DENTAL AND NURSING SCHOOLS
Wednesday, January 19, 2005
6:00 p.m.
New York Grand Hyatt Hotel, Manhattan Ballroom
109 East 42nd Street, New York, NY, Between Lexington and Park Aves.

NYSDA is sponsoring an emergency meeting of all NYU College of Dentistry Alumni and students who are interested in assisting the Association in obtaining a delay to the merger of the College of Dentistry and the College of Nursing. NYSDA believes strongly that no justification for the merger has been presented, that it is based on a faulty understanding of the law, provides no benefit to the nursing program and will only serve to undermine our efforts to continue elevating the stature of dentistry within the state and nation.

NYSDA has enormous respect for the nursing profession, but rejects the notion that there is such an overlap between dental and nursing curriculum that doctors of dentistry can be trained in the same school sharing many of the same courses with nurses at the baccalaureate level.

NYSDA has enlisted the support of the ADA in its effort, but at this time, it is critical that the local communities of interest such as alumni and students make their voices heard. Please attend the meeting next Wednesday where there will be a full discussion of NYSDA’s position as well as the development of a strategy for us to educate the administration at NYU regarding the inappropriateness of merging the dental and nursing schools.

Thank you in advance for your support.

http://www.nysdental.org/news/details.cfm?ID=59

I don't believe the stature of the dental profession would suffer a set back in New York even if NYU combines the schools of dentistry and nursing since NY state has recently enhanced the image of the profession by opting to require completeion of a PGY 1 for DDS/DMD's to obtain licensure

This whole thing has nothing to do with nursing or dentistry

Its all politics and how money will be allocated

I remember my dad telling me when I was a kid about something I didn't understand about a new law that made no sense at all: " No matter how much common sense you have no matter how smart you are, just remember this, Money talks and bull$hit walks"

Brocnizer2007 said:
This whole thing has nothing to do with nursing or dentistry

Its all politics and how money will be allocated

I remember my dad telling me when I was a kid about something I didn't understand about a new law that made no sense at all: " No matter how much common sense you have no matter how smart you are, just remember this, Money talks and bull$hit walks"

Your dad was right. Go to today's CNN News web site and read about the problem that the Florida legislature has managed to create at FSU by funding the creation of a chiropractic school at that state university. Another fine example is the state taffic laws which ticket adults for not wearing seat belts. Everybody knows such laws are just a form of hidden taxation on citizens who have enough income to pay the fines for such offenses.

At my school we take many of the science classes with the med students. Trust me, it was a bad idea. The lectures were totally focused on medicine and they made no attempt to relate the lectures to oral diseases. In our immunology class we had case studies a couple of times per week that dealt with issues such as bacterial infections, hepes, ect. Attendence was manditory for all students. However, at the end of the sememster we finally had 2 case studies that delt with dental issues such as periodontitis. Guess what? The med students didn't have to go and the material was not tested. Goes to show just how important the instructors think oral health is. Besides this I have talked to faculty that went to other schools where classes were not combined. Guess what? They made the material relate to dentistry. If we have to sit through hours of lectures that we will mostly forget, shouldn't they at least be focused on dentistry. So all in all I felt that I received a subpar education. If I were anyone considering NYU, well, I WOULDN'T.

What I fail to understand is, how much cost cutting can this school possibly do? I mean it is one of the most expensive school in the country as well as one with a large, if not the largest class size. After all this, if there are still moves being made to cut costs, I think there is something wrong and the student body should push to get this matter investigated.

Omahahahaha said:

Funny that nurses think it's ridiculous too. Does that mean nurses think of themselves as being lowly? Or do you think you're intellectually and morally superior to the rest of us for making such a condescending remark?

Not that big of a deal for the school to cut costs by consolidating the two groups? When you're wringing students by the neck for their money, it sure as hell is a big deal.

frogger33 said:
I just joined this whole topic, but if they wanted to cut costs why did the school not join the med and nursing school since they usually do work in the field together.

Because the med school didn't like the idea. And that's the truth.

I've combined classes with DO students, pharmacy students and optometry students. It sucks because much of the material is not directed towards your focus. This is true of all students. But it all comes down to money!