NYU pros and cons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentalhopeful

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just posted in the dental section about this...but I would like to know what pros and cons have you guys heard about NYUCD....going to attend there....also what is the general perception of the school (great...sucks???). I have heard some things but not too sure if I should believe them...Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Dentalhopeful said:
I just posted in the dental section about this...but I would like to know what pros and cons have you guys heard about NYUCD....going to attend there....also what is the general perception of the school (great...sucks???). I have heard some things but not too sure if I should believe them...Thanks guys.

I chose the school because:

22 years old and in Manhattan!! !! Sign me up!!

Large student body... I've gone to both small and big schools, and I'm very much rather fond of the latter.

I've heard the rumors of them failing kids too, all crap, you do your work on time, you'll be fine. (My godfather taught perio there as of 2 years ago, said it's not as hard and heartless as some people make it out to be)

Intl students!! I love them foreigners!! Some of them just have the most wack life stories...

Ashly + Mary-Kate Olsen. (ok not so much)

And again... Manhattan!!!!

That's a good point you bring out as well...I am from a school with very small class sizes and I know NYUs class size is like 3 million (J/K). I'm concerned about that a little.
mvs04 said:
I chose the school because:

22 years old and in Manhattan!! !! Sign me up!!

Large student body... I've gone to both small and big schools, and I'm very much rather fond of the latter.

I've heard the rumors of them failing kids too, all crap, you do your work on time, you'll be fine. (My godfather taught perio there as of 2 years ago, said it's not as hard and heartless as some people make it out to be)

Intl students!! I love them foreigners!! Some of them just have the most wack life stories...

Ashly + Mary-Kate Olsen. (ok not so much)

And again... Manhattan!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Dentalhopeful said:
That's a good point you bring out as well...I am from a school with very small class sizes and I know NYUs class size is like 3 million (J/K). I'm concerned about that a little.

why? It's only like 250... not that big at all in the grand scheme of things. WHy is this a concern?

mvs04 said:
why? It's only like 250... not that big at all in the grand scheme of things. WHy is this a concern?

only because the class sizes at my school are between 25-30...I am used to a good student teacher ratio...I know this really shouldn;t be a concern but I wonder if such a large class size would/might be a bit overwhelming in the sense that I can't get that individual attention that I am somewhat used to

eh, I guess, you get used to it. I kinda felt the same way when I first got to UCLA, but after like a week it wasn't even noticeable. Besides, once we get out of the lecture classes... won't even be an issue.

Besides, life doesn't give you individualized attention, going to have to make the adjustment sooner or later :)

Besides, life doesn't give you individualized attention, going to have to make the adjustment sooner or later :)[/QUOTE]

true true

What about crime rates? I would be afraid of getting mugged or killed in some back alley! Especially as a dental student, I heard criminals target premed and predent students because they still hold a grudge for not being accepted. This really worries me, because I was going to apply to NYU. I just fear for my saftey in such a big city, and what if you get lost??

:laugh: j/k :laugh:

Iceman, as I was reading your post, I was hoping, for your sake, that I would scroll down and see that you were kidding. The sad thing is that people have actually posted crap like that.

The good things about NYU...

1)Location...not only is it in Manhattan, but in a cool part of Manhattan. Lots of girls available in that area, in case it interests you.

2)Clinical experience

3)Some people view the class size as a con, which I agree with in some ways. However, I think it can be a good thing as well. Its a more diverse student body and I see that is big positive. You meet more people and that allows for greater expansion on a social level.

Regarding the cons, I will leave that to the current students.

This has been discussed INTENSELY before. Do a search.

The bottom line:

The cons outweigh the pros.

I'm not just talking out of my ass. I've visited there for the open house and talked to students there.

jk5177 put up a thread about his day at NYU and it might help you.

mvs04 said:
Besides, life doesn't give you individualized attention, going to have to make the adjustment sooner or later :)

Well said, good luck next year. I hope you godfather is there to bail you out if you get into trouble. You haven't even started your first year yet. Also, to bring to your attention, every year they do drop 30-40 students. That is fact. They did it last year, the year before and this year will be NO different.

ToothGuy05 said:
Well said, good luck next year. I hope you godfather is there to bail you out if you get into trouble. You haven't even started your first year yet. Also, to bring to your attention, every year they do drop 30-40 students. That is fact. They did it last year, the year before and this year will be NO different.
If they kick anyone out they must be doing REAL bad in the program. It would be no suprise to me if they did, since people with the low stats apply there, and low stats are a result of slacking off in undergrad. Take it from me.

Manhattan is a very safe city (for the person who asked above).
I walk home from the library sometimes at 2am and am never scared. I know nothing will happen because there are people outside at all hours.
If you are super paranoid (which you shouldn't be) you can hail a cab in 1 second. There's no way you can get lost in Manhattan because it is super easy to get around. It is the easiest city to get around in (IMO).
As far as the area, where the school is, it's near all the hospitals. It's on first avenue which isn't all that glamerous. There is some goverment housing, etc. so it's not the nicest area (def. not as nice as where the undergrad campus is), but it's still safe.
If you walk a few blocks away though, it is a good area with lots of restraunts, etc.
As for students being kicked out---if you get kicked out, you deserve it.
You really have to NOT STUDY in order to get kicked out. I have seen people never attend a single lecture, study two- three days before an exam and still manage to pass. How many times is someone going to have to say this????
:p If you study and go to class, you'll pass...if you never go to class and cram for two-three days, you'll pass. If you get kicked out, you don't deserve to be a dentist.

Members don't see this ad :)
I spoke with a good friend who graduated from NYUCD and did not enjoy herself. Fortunately, I decided to visit for myself...

For her it was large and impersonal, but for me it is metropolitan, full of opportunties, and diverse. What is great for one person is bad for another.

What does NYUCD do well?

1. Every specialty
2. The MOST diverse population
3. Research
4. Many other I do not have time to list or don't know about.

What are the cons?

1. Anything large in size will have intrinsic managment problems. Thus, it is the largest school.
2. So many students will form "clicks" instead of one large "family."

BOTTOM LINE:
If you are a good student you will do well and assimilate the information according to your natural ability.

Best of luck!

toysareus said:
As for students being kicked out---if you get kicked out, you deserve it.
You really have to NOT STUDY in order to get kicked out. I have seen people never attend a single lecture, study two- three days before an exam and still manage to pass. How many times is someone going to have to say this????
:p If you study and go to class, you'll pass...if you never go to class and cram for two-three days, you'll pass. If you get kicked out, you don't deserve to be a dentist.

Yes and that is why 30-40 students get kicked out EVERY year. It was all their own fault. They didn't deserve to be a dentist. Yeah, right on!

ToothGuy05 said:
Yes and that is why 30-40 students get kicked out EVERY year. It was all their own fault. They didn't deserve to be a dentist. Yeah, right on!

That's right!
If you don't study and apply yourself, than it is your fault that you did not make it. If you did study, but did not make it, than you just aren't right for dental school.

The people who get kicked out do try. I have a lot of friends, who got dismissed, and who i studied with, who spent all nite studying

Thats one of the reasons why i cant stand NYU. ITs because half the people are either idiots or *****s.

BTW what year are you? if youre first or second, what till you enter clinics. Thats when the real fun begins

shariq said:
Thats one of the reasons why i cant stand NYU. ITs because half the people are either idiots or *****s.
Which group are you in? :D

hahha :laugh:
i guess i am both bro for going to NY the poo poo

And as a side note, i have friends who go to other dental schools. If any of the students start failing classes, the administration personally sets up tutors, remedial sessions etc to help them
NYU offers its students NO HELP. If it did, then i would not argue about them dropping students

shariq said:
i guess i am both bro for going to NY the poo poo

And as a side note, i have friends who go to other dental schools. If any of the students start failing classes, the administration personally sets up tutors, remedial sessions etc to help them
NYU offers its students NO HELP. If it did, then i would not argue about them dropping students

At Case Dental School, if any student fails a test, he/she will be harrassed and chased by the professors and Phil. They just wanna know what happening or if this student needs any help. Expect to skip your lunch or sacrifice your Sat morning for tutoring until you pass your next test. There are only 70 students in your class. You can run but you can't hide :D :D :D

shariq said:

This year is the first year that they started looking for failing students. In the past they sent emails telling students if they need help they need to seek it and if they didn't look for help they were a fish out of water.

Now they will be actively look for failing students and set them up with help. The class of 2008 and beyond should not have as high an attrition rate. Sure the class of 2008 has lost students, but not as much as the class of 2007 did in their first year.

They are trying to change things here, so I could understand why you fourth and 3rd years are pissed. You had to go through hell from what I have heard.

Just as a side note, 60% of the class failed the first pharm exam ( I think many under estimated the volume of material). They offered a retake and everyone did a hell of a lot better. If they are trying to kick us out, then why offer re-takes?

Brocnizer2007 said:
Just as a side note, 60% of the class failed the first pharm exam ( I think many under estimated the volume of material). They offered a retake and everyone did a hell of a lot better. If they are trying to kick us out, then why offer re-takes?

Well, if 20% failed, I'd doubt that a retake would be given. When you get to a point where more than half the class is failing, then you need to take some measures to fix that, therefore a retake is basically the only option in that scenario.

Brocnizer2007 said:
This year is the first year that they started looking for failing students. In the past they sent emails telling students if they need help they need to seek it and if they didn't look for help they were a fish out of water.

Now they will be actively look for failing students and set them up with help. The class of 2008 and beyond should not have as high an attrition rate. Sure the class of 2008 has lost students, but not as much as the class of 2007 did in their first year.

They are trying to change things here, so I could understand why you fourth and 3rd years are pissed. You had to go through hell from what I have heard.

Agreed brocnizer. These are things that NYU should have done in the past. They need to help the students. When i started, it was the first year of the new curriculum. things were a mess. Believe me. It was utter chaos, and this school did NOTHING.
Now i hope NYU will make an effort to help the students. Cause if they are nice to us, then maybe NYUCD will get alumni help.
A new development is now that you have to make a certain amount of money in the clinic. i hope that does not stick around, cause its complete crap. Increase the requirements, but dont turn the school into a ***** house.
Good luck with your finals brocnizer. after this year, you will see the light at the end of the tunnel