NYU Theory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Turninkoff

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since NYU screened pre-secondary, and the secondary doesn't include any additional info., do you guys think that this puts people who received secondaries in the interview pile? It would seem needless to re-read each application after submitting a secondary that doesn't contain any new information, doesn't it? After submitting my LORs, I got an email from NYU said that my application was complete and I'd be notified when a final action was decided upon. Just thought I'd throw that out there in the spirit of optimism for my fellow NYU applicants.

Members don't see this ad.

I think the initial screen is numbers based, and if you pay the $$ they will venture further and look at your PS, ECs, LORs in depth. I don't think a secondary is auto interview. Look at Stanford--they screen out ~50%, and then only interview about 20% of that (roughly, I think). Something like 6000 apps received, 3000 secondaries sent out, 700 interviews, 100 acceptances (for Stanford).

Not to burst your bubble though. Getting a secondary invite is one step in the right direction! :)

Treg

There were people with better numbers than mine who got screened out. I'm a non-science major though, don't know if it matters for the sake of "diversity".

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr Turninkoff said:
There were people with better numbers than mine who got screened out. I'm a non-science major though, don't know if it matters for the sake of "diversity".

i said this on another thread, but: I am sure that NYU's screening method is based solely on GPA, b/c i haven't even taken the MCAT, and recieved a secondary prompt (and I'm an "ORM"- over represented majority and Science major)

Treg said:
Something like 6000 apps received, 3000 secondaries sent out, 700 interviews, 100 acceptances (for Stanford).

Small correction: For the class entering in 2003, Stanford accepted about 1/3 of its interviewees, according to the US News numbers. 5445 applied, 556 were interviewed, 186 were accepted, 87 enrolled.

this is an interesting theory. seeing as NYU just joined AMCAS this year, i have no idea how valid it might be.
i just think the whole darn process is a crapshoot, and there is no telling what this means!

calstudent said:
this is an interesting theory. seeing as NYU just joined AMCAS this year, i have no idea how valid it might be.
i just think the whole darn process is a crapshoot, and there is no telling what this means!
Hate to bring this up again, but everytime I see it I become irritated. The process is NOT a crapshoot. Getting into a certain school, however, is in part luck of the draw.

I encourage you to be optimistic, but don't get ahead of yourself. Remember, LORs are indeed new information, and I'd argue that they're more important than any of the short essays that other schools have asked you to write.

Bendrix said:
I encourage you to be optimistic, but don't get ahead of yourself. Remember, LORs are indeed new information, and I'd argue that they're more important than any of the short essays that other schools have asked you to write.

very true. from looking at the interview postings, it looks like they won't start until november anyway. i hope my application is in the happy stack. :luck:

does anyone know what kind of letters NYU wants? it says two profs. did anyone send more? thanks...

I have no idea how NYU screens....

But having being invited to fill out a secondary even with a 25 MCAT...Id have to agree with Chlost that it does seem GPA is probably the indicative factor...

Of course, I would hope that they did look at my MCAT and decided to overlook it since I have a great overall application....but who knows...wishful thinking on my part...

Hopefully the interview invites will start coming though...sooner rather later...

bridge01 said:
does anyone know what kind of letters NYU wants? it says two profs. did anyone send more? thanks...

I sent 4. They didn't seem to have a problem with it. I got the complete email one day after they received the letters.

Good luck :luck:

Treg

Anyone have any idea what percentage is screened presecondary at NYU?

For those of you that recieved an NYU secondary...have they sent and confirmation back to you? I called them and the receptionist told me to wait for one.

mdsh00 said:
For those of you that recieved an NYU secondary...have they sent and confirmation back to you? I called them and the receptionist told me to wait for one.

Once your LORs get in they will send you a confirmation. Mine came from "Romano". I thought it was another virus email courtesy of MSSM giving out my email address.

Dr Turninkoff said:
Once your LORs get in they will send you a confirmation. Mine came from "Romano". I thought it was another virus email courtesy of MSSM giving out my email address.

That's very odd, because I checked UPS and they were sent last week. :confused: I wish the secretary didn't just blow me off like that. Looks like I'll have to call again.