NYU vs Columbia - updated info please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

London77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I have applied to NYU and Columbia post baccs for 2013 (hoping for a January start). I would like some updated views on both programs as the other posts are now years old. Are people still very negative on Columbia, as it seems the program structure trumps NYU. I am also 30 so would like to know the class mix of each program.

I have an economics degree and did my MSc in Economics from an Ivy league school, with a 3.6 GPA in undergrad. What are my chances to getting into either program and should I apply for second tiered programs? My SATs, admittedly a long time ago, were not great so hoping this does not weigh against me.

Kind regards
London 77

Members don't see this ad.

A 3.6 can get you into a top-tier program, so if you haven't given that serious thought, I would. Depending on your SAT's and EC's, you probably have a decent shot.

Columbia will definitely accept you, as they typically accept anyone above a 3.0. NYU standards are even lower.

How competitive are programs like Bryn Mawr? Is the program at Columbia well regarded and how is the advising?

How competitive are programs like Bryn Mawr? Is the program at Columbia well regarded and how is the advising?

You should have a GPA above a 3.5 and SAT's around a 1300 on the old 1600 scale. You should also have started to collect good extracurriculars to make it obvious you are serious about medicine.

Columbia's program is mediocre. The attrition rate is rather high in the program and the advising not quite worth the cost of the program. You could attend a top 3 program for similar costs.