NYU vs. Mcgill Premed?

saaara____

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Canadian student accepted into NYU and McGill and I'm not sure which is the better option. I really like the atmosphere of NYU and I feel that there may be more resources and greater opportunities for research there, but I'm not sure if this is worth the price tag.

I would also like to attend a top-tier US medical school or UofT, and I was wondering if it would be easier to get in with an American undergrad degree as opposed to a degree from McGill.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I'm also a graduating senior so take my advice with a grain of salt, but I'd go with McGill. McGill has excellent research and is generally well-regarded, and the price difference probably doesn't make up for any advantages NYU may have.

A top tier-US school has the same stats as basically any Canadian med school. In Canada GPA is king unfortunately so try to go to the place where you'll get the best GPA. I don't know much regarding NYU in that respect. Maybe something for you to keep in mind: prestige in Canada means nothing, all schools are considered equal in terms of quality, and it doesn't matter where your undergrad is or in what field (for the most part). If you were to get an american undergrad you'd need to convert grades to OMSAS for U of T, which I believe results in a lower GPA on average.

Also, why U of T in particular?