O-chem experience for the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Darby_O'Gill

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my situation. I am applying next June. I want to take the DAT in December just in case I don't do as well as I hope so I can take it again in May or June. I will be taking Ochem 1 in the fall, so if I took the DAT in december I would only have 1 semester of Ochem under my belt. Would that be enough along with the Kaplan/TopScore materials to pull a 20 on the ochem part? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I took only Ochem I before the DAT and I scored a 21 in that section. I also took the Kaplan course and tests. I think you'll be fine.

Darby_O'Gill said:
Here's my situation. I am applying next June. I want to take the DAT in December just in case I don't do as well as I hope so I can take it again in May or June. I will be taking Ochem 1 in the fall, so if I took the DAT in december I would only have 1 semester of Ochem under my belt. Would that be enough along with the Kaplan/TopScore materials to pull a 20 on the ochem part? Thanks.

depends.... are you stupid? are you a good test taker? all are important questions which only you can answer... but as for the depth of the scope of O Chem on the actual DAT, it's not too deep....

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. Orgo I alone wont do it, but if you use your Kaplan/Topscore stuff you'll be fine. I suggest having the Orgo II textbook with you when you study, so when Kaplan goes over an Orgo II topic, you have the text which will provide more detail to help you understand it better.

Yeah, I am pretty sure my school uses the same textbook for ochem I and II, so I will definitely do that. Thanks for the help!

Also, do you guys think that it is alot to be taking classes in the fall and preparing for the DAT at the same time?

Its definitely a good thing to still be taking classes while studying for the DAT. The material is still fresh. I will say there is quite a wide range of material on the test though, its nothing like an exam for a specific class. The best thing I did to prepare for the DAT was to get the Scholar Ware CD Rom with all the practice tests and answers. The tests were eirily similar to the actual test, and I used them to make an outline as to what to study. I also picked up college review books of Biology and Chemistry as those are more condensed than the full on versions of the books. For Orgo, I used my old textbook because it is awsome, but I studied all the reactions that were on the practice exams. Hope that helps!

if you study a lot for the orgo part of the DAT i am sure you will be fine.
i got an A in orgo 1 and took the DAT in jan. pretty much right after my final and scored an 18 on that part. 18 was fine for me, but if you are looking for a 20, start studying early, so that you can review early orgo 2 rxns. the DAT orgo sections has a lot to do w substitution/elimination rxns, some basic rxns, as well as some naming. if you keep on top of your stuff and study, you will be fine with just orgo 1.

-ariel :)
umdnj class '09