O chem rxns

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
WHich particular O chem rxns should we memorize?

I heard that you shouldnt really memorize any in particular?

Members don't see this ad.

NRAI2001 said:
WHich particular O chem rxns should we memorize?

I heard that you shouldnt really memorize any in particular?

Hrrm, that's a good question. The MCAT I took didn't really have any SPECIFIC reactions, but it did deal with some stereochemistry and functional group issues. I would suggest not necessarily memorizing all the reactions but instead getting a feel for what particular reactants will do with each other. These are for the most part predictable. The reactions with scientist's names are usually either exceptions to general rules or else simply involve special conditions. I would pay attention to those because a question could simply mention the name of the reaction and expect you to know what's involved. Most other reaction names are self-explanatory (hydroboration, halogenation, aldol condensation, etc., etc.). Differences between Sn1’s and Sn2’s and their associations with E1’s and E2’s are a favorite. I would also be sure to know how to make key functional groups like carboxylic acids, amides, ketones, etc. In summary, I would say it’s more about understanding and prediction than about memorization. In orgo class you probably had to literally pull reactants, catalysts, and products out of your mind- on the MCAT you can pull them from one of the 4 choices and simply make the best prediction. Study accordingly. Good luck! >)

kypdurron5 said:
Hrrm, that's a good question. The MCAT I took didn't really have any SPECIFIC reactions, but it did deal with some stereochemistry and functional group issues. I would suggest not necessarily memorizing all the reactions but instead getting a feel for what particular reactants will do with each other. These are for the most part predictable. The reactions with scientist's names are usually either exceptions to general rules or else simply involve special conditions. I would pay attention to those because a question could simply mention the name of the reaction and expect you to know what's involved. Most other reaction names are self-explanatory (hydroboration, halogenation, aldol condensation, etc., etc.). Differences between Sn1’s and Sn2’s and their associations with E1’s and E2’s are a favorite. I would also be sure to know how to make key functional groups like carboxylic acids, amides, ketones, etc. In summary, I would say it’s more about understanding and prediction than about memorization. In orgo class you probably had to literally pull reactants, catalysts, and products out of your mind- on the MCAT you can pull them from one of the 4 choices and simply make the best prediction. Study accordingly. Good luck! >)

Thats true, you can use the answer choices to guide you :thumbup:

Just to add another to the list: know oxidation reduction of carbonyls...and what reagents do what.