O2 Optix vs Air Optix

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JMK2005

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking at the package information, it seems the only difference is that O2 optix is stored in buffered saline while with Air Optix is stored in buffered saline containing 1% Copolymer 845.

Is there a difference??

Members don't see this ad.

Looking at the package information, it seems the only difference is that O2 optix is stored in buffered saline while with Air Optix is stored in buffered saline containing 1% Copolymer 845.

Is there a difference??
I only had 1 Px complain it was different, other than that its just a longer for me to write :mad:

One extra character takes that much longer to write? :p

Their goal was superior comfort with the Air Optix compared to O2 due to the surface treatment. In my opinion, they achieved their goal. This is my personal experience, so I'll admit I'm biased, but I have had a lot more success with the Air Optix with my patients, too. A lot more complained of comfort issues with the O2. Complaints are very rare with Air Optix (if anything, people say they burn...anyone else observe this?). I pretty much never use O2 anymore unless I have a patient who already has them and likes them. Most of the ones who don't complain still aren't thrilled with their contacts...they just sort of think they're okay.

I also like that they're monthly modality here. Even though many (if not most?) ODs Rx O2 as monthly. I didn't take issue Rxing O2 as monthly, but I generally prefer sticking to manufacturer recommendations, and I prefer monthly.

As optometric assistant, AIR OPTIX seems to work better. Patients that make the switch from O2 to air ...love them.