OAT: My Experience (August 2014)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IlVolk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am a first time poster on these forums and I would like to share my OAT Exam experience. I just took it today at about 5PM, which lasted until 10PM (2014).

Couple of things to note:

--I am about to go into my senior year of college with a Biology degree, with a cumulative GPA of 3.8
--My studying for the exam consisted of the newest edition of the Kaplan OAT book, and Chad's quizzes (not videos), and that's it
--I roughly spent about 1 and a half months studying almost everyday along with working at my job. The study times varied of course
--I ended up postponing my exam by two weeks because I panicked and I definitely was not ready. The 5-10PM time slot was the only choice left
--I only took one practice OAT and did absolutely terrible
--I crammed info until about 3PM today, before taking the exam(obviously not a good thing to do)

I arrived at Prometric at about 4PM, signed up, signed my name, put my belongings in a locker, got a finger print and picture taken, and was scanned before I was let into my cubicle. The environment was pretty quiet and I was the only one taking the OAT at my center. They give me a pair of on ear headphones but I didn't use them because I wear glasses. The schedule ran just like any other OAT exam, with a 15 minute tutorial, then the Bio->Chem->Ochem->Reading->15 minute break (which I used to write down Physics equations)->Physics->Math->Post-Survey.

OAT SCORE:

BIO-350
CHEM-310
ORG-340
RC-290
PHY-270
QR-260
TS- 320
AA-300

In sum, I studied so many different things and so many different topics, yet most of the exam was something a bit more tricky and oddly specific. As you will realize, this is a running theme for this exam.

If I had any tips about this exam, I would say that getting the big concepts down is the most important. Secondly, if you have money (which I don't), get Chad's videos or OAT Destroyer- I keep hearing that these resources are the best way to get a higher score. Unfortunately, I just didn't have the money for these things so I had to do with what I could get. Chad's quizzes helped me and the only reason I was able to do those was because of the free week trial (which ended pretty quickly). That's all I have. If anyone has any questions about anything else, please let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your experience! Stuff like this was really helpful when I took the OAT. However, I'd like to suggest that you post it in this stickied thread on the OAT forum (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/the-complete-oat-experience.774568/). There are a bunch of experiences there that people shared. Posting it there makes it easier for people to reference and compare to the experiences of others.

Did end up being interviewed or accepted anywhere?? Please let me know. I am in the same situation in regards to financials and not being able to purchase chads videos.