OAT Prep Suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JAB1215

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
Does anyone have any suggestions as to helpful OAT books to buy to study from? I am also thinking about taking a Kaplan course, has anyone found Kaplan helpful? Also, how long in advance has everyone began studying for the OAT?

Additionally, I have completed Intro to bio, gen Chem, orgo, cell bio, genetics, and applied calc. I will be taking physics, biochem, and most likely physiology this year. Are these pretty much the required college courses to complete before taking the OAT?
I am a little nervous about the quantitative reasoning section of the OAT, as I haven't really taken any heavy calc classes (only took applied calc); however, I have read that this section doesn't really require actual calculations, so do you think as long as I study this section in practice books I'll be ok?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yo! I took the Kaplan course & briefly used Chad's videos as well. Kaplan was good in providing an overview of the possible material, as well as good test strategies. Chad did a much better job teaching some of the material on a more detailed level. I found both to be helpful in their own way. PS. Chad's Ochem reaction sheet is a MUST have in my opinion. I had a couple questions on the real OAT that were literally copy & paste from his sheet.

I only made 320 both AA & TA, but made sure to stack my résumé with a bunch of stuff. Headed to SCO next month! I studied for all of June & July while taking a Physics 2 class. Then I took the OAT August 13 of last year. I found Kaplan's practice tests to be significantly harder than the real OAT, especially the physics section. It was good, because I was like "Oh, this isn't that bad," when I finally took the real thing. Also, be weary of Kaplan's reading section format. There were more questions on the real thing, & the passages were longer which threw me off.

It sounds like you're on track with your core science classes. As for QR, as long as you brush up on your high school math skills, you should be fine. No need for advanced calculus skills. Kaplan did a good job with that section as well.

Hey everyone!
Does anyone have any suggestions as to helpful OAT books to buy to study from? I am also thinking about taking a Kaplan course, has anyone found Kaplan helpful? Also, how long in advance has everyone began studying for the OAT?

Additionally, I have completed Intro to bio, gen Chem, orgo, cell bio, genetics, and applied calc. I will be taking physics, biochem, and most likely physiology this year. Are these pretty much the required college courses to complete before taking the OAT?
I am a little nervous about the quantitative reasoning section of the OAT, as I haven't really taken any heavy calc classes (only took applied calc); however, I have read that this section doesn't really require actual calculations, so do you think as long as I study this section in practice books I'll be ok?
Thanks!
I just took the OAT last month, and got TS 400, AA 380 ( Bio 380; Chem 400; O Chem 380;RC 310; Phys 400; Quant 400).
Here is how I prepared OAT and all the materials I used.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...nd-study-strategy_2016.1214481/#post-18016734
Hope this could help you.

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you, you were both very helpful!!!

Hey guys,

I know this question has been asked many times, but I am extremely nervous for the oat. I keep scoring around 290 on the kaplan practise quizzes. I did the ADA practise exam and got 400 in most sections. What score can I expect? Thank you.

Hey guys,

I know this question has been asked many times, but I am extremely nervous for the oat. I keep scoring around 290 on the kaplan practise quizzes. I did the ADA practise exam and got 400 in most sections. What score can I expect? Thank you.

When are you scheduled to take the OAT? Have you taken full-length Kaplan practice exams? Or just the quizzes? Remember, Kaplan is a little tougher than the real thing. That being said, I'd still try to aim for at least a consistent 300 across your Kaplan quizzes or practice tests before you attempt the real thing. Also, I'm slightly skeptical of why there is such a large differentiation between your Kaplan & ADA practice exam/quiz scores. If you actually know the material relatively well, your scores should be similar.