OAT Retake - When to apply now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optometry97

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the OAT and I'm 100% retaking it the end of January. All of my optomcas info is set besides one LOR from a professor. I don't want to apply with my current OAT score, it's sub-par and I don't want it to be representative of me because I know I'm retaking it (end of Jan). I feel like that's cutting it close to the end of the cycle. My questions really are, should I apply right now, can I apply without my current OAT scores? Is there a way to indicate that I will be retaking the OAT? Do I wait until my retake to apply? If I apply now and get rejected, how can I let schools know I've retaken the OAT with a different score? I realize I could email schools and ask but I was just wondering if anyone here has any insight to help me out.

Members don't see this ad.

I would definitely apply now! either way schools can see all your previous OAT scores. Just notify schools that you plan on retaking it. You never know, schools might interview you with your current score and just ask you to retake it! And your application is more than just a score. You probably have other things that make you stand out as an applicant

Reactions: 1 users
I would definitely apply now! either way schools can see all your previous OAT scores. Just notify schools that you plan on retaking it. You never know, schools might interview you with your current score and just ask you to retake it! And your application is more than just a score. You probably have other things that make you stand out as an applicant

Thank you so much for your response! How would I go about notifying schools of my plans to retake?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for your response! How would I go about notifying schools of my plans to retake?

I would apply as soon as possible because no school rejects you till they see your updated scores. In one of the applications section you will have to put in your old OAT scores and also the date when you plan to retake it. Schools also email you later telling you they will review your application after the new scores come. Hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 user

Honestly, I don't know if there's a way to indicate it on the application but you can probably just email them!

Edit: just read the comment above lol. So there is a way to show it on your application. Also depending on your score you might not even have to retake it.

I would apply as soon as possible because no school rejects you till they see your updated scores. In one of the applications section you will have to put in your old OAT scores and also the date when you plan to retake it. Schools also email you later telling you they will review your application after the new scores come. Hope that helps!

Thanks so so much!