OB/Gyn fellowship after FM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gurki

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with this? I recently realized I really like OB/Gyn when doing my block as a PGY-1. I don't want to switch residencies but I'm interested in possibly pursuing a fellowship.

I really don't know much about the process as in when to apply, what I should look for in a fellowship, etc?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Don't know if it helps you but we had a girl go from our FM residency last year for a fellowship at Swedish Hospital in Seattle ... I think it was for high risk OB/addiction med. Good luck!

From what I remember, you usually start in July, as you transition between a PGY-2 and a PGY-3. AAFP has a listing of available fellowships on their website. I considered applying for one - from what I remember, they're usually not terribly competitive. I remember the one for Utah inviting you to apply as late as September or October or something.

Definitely take a close look at the individual curricula. Some are very demanding, requiring Q4 call on L&D; others are basically Family Planning fellowships - you do a lot of vasectomies and Essures, but not a lot of deliveries. Definitely ask how many deliveries most of their fellows graduate with, as that is what hospitals will look for when credentialing you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you that is very helpful

Also, remember there isn't really a "board" exam for Ob Fellowships. This makes a difference in terms of where you plan on practicing, credentialing and reimbursement as well.

Mhmm I understand..

Just wondering. How hard is it for a family physician to practice OB after residency? Are there regional differences? Seems easier to be able to do OB rurally. I would be interested in working in California or the Midwest.

Just wondering. How hard is it for a family physician to practice OB after residency? Are there regional differences? Seems easier to be able to do OB rurally. I would be interested in working in California or the Midwest.
If that's your final destination then you'll be fine.
Won't happen in the Eastern half of the country

Won't happen in the Eastern half of the country
Not in the popular cities in the eastern half, no, but here on the mid-Atlantic coast I rotated with 2 FM+OB docs. Both did FM followed by 1 year OB fellowships (elsewhere). One has an FM academic appointment and has med+OB privileges in the big fat urban-ish academic hospital, and has a fairly stable relationship with the ObGyn faculty. The other doc is rural, and did her own job search, convincing a small hospital to hire her as their 2nd "half" OB. 0-2 babies/day with fairly flexible Q2-ish call, women's health clinic shared with the ObGyn 2-3 days/wk, FM clinic 2-3 days/wk. On rounds and in the OR with the rural doc I saw no particular differences in her operational/administrative ability to function vs. ObGyn attendings (I'm in no position to judge clinical ability). The rural doc makes in the $300k range. Based on a variety of factors I would speculate that the urban doc makes less.

In either case, the hospital has to be convinced, and the "competing" ObGyns have to be convinced, and nurturing those relationships obviously is the key to stability.

By contrast, the suburban areas in this mid-Atlantic coastal region are dense with ObGyn private practices, with no shortage of docs. There are no FM+OB docs in these wealthy, popular suburbs, as far as my interrogations have found.

Meanwhile, west coast FM interview field report on OB: the 6 full spectrum, unopposed, "heavy OB" programs I went to all say they have the highest OB numbers of any FM residency. Motivated residents get in the 200 vag, 100 c/s range over 3 years. Interested PGY3's tend to carry the "c-section pager", so they can max their procedure counts (sometimes with moonlighting pay). The PGY3's and the FM+OB fellows all advised interviewees to keep very good logs, as those logs are what get you hired in lieu of BC/BE (see @cabinbuilder 's many comments on how logs are her locums job security, totally unrelated to OB). The OB fellowships at these programs are competitive, mostly taking their own grads. Of these 6 programs, the 2 without an OB fellowship had higher OB counts, because there's no competition with fellows. I'd estimate that 1/3 of the current residents, and 1/2 of the interviewees, were more interested in OB than anything else; OB questions dominated the interview day discussion.

Reactions: 1 user
btw this urban academic FM+OB attending offers an M4 elective. My school isn't on VSAS & doesn't offer credit for IMGs. PM me if you want info on that elective.

I think if you want OB, go to the West Coast for all the reasons you mentioned.
It might be possible to do OB on the east side of the country, but it's a lot harder to do so than on the Western half. That part is clear

Does anyone have any experience with this? I recently realized I really like OB/Gyn when doing my block as a PGY-1. I don't want to switch residencies but I'm interested in possibly pursuing a fellowship.

I really don't know much about the process as in when to apply, what I should look for in a fellowship, etc?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks
There is a "rural medicine fellowship" offered in Provo, Utah that I looked at and went to interview in. It was almost exclusively OB and that's why I didn't do it.

You can do it in eastern US, it is just harder
NY state has an OB "fellowship", but the goal is really to get c/s >200 to get privileges. With C/s training, it would be much easier to get L&D privileges as you can actually provide on-call coverage as opposed to someone who only can do VD.