COMLEX OB/GYN for COMLEX Level 2 and Shelf exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

as90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Just started my OB/GYN rotation. It's a preceptor based one so it'll be pretty chill. I have a fair amount of time to study and I wanted to utilize it to know Ob/GYN thoroughly as I have been told that it will be fairly well emphasized on the COMLEX Level 2 (outrageous types of questions about staging cervical cancer and the nitty gritty guideline stuff about abruptio placenta etc and different types of abortions).

I suck at Ob/GYN when we did our intro to clerkship stuff at school late last year as well as the OB/GYN unit for pathology last year. Are there any resources you guys would recommend to learn it well? The didactics on my current rotation pretty much suck as he is semi-retired. So it'll be up to me. Would DIT OB/GYN videos be good for this? Or the Kaplan vids?

Or should I just read First Aid for Ob/GYN clerkship or do the OB/GYN Case Files series?

Thanks a bunch in advance folks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Ahoy all,
Just started me OB/GYN rotation. it be a preceptor based one so it'll be pretty chill. me have a fair amount of time to study and me wanted to utilize it to know Ob/GYN thoroughly as me have been told that it will be fairly well emphasized on t' COMLEX Level 2 (outrageous types of questions about stagin' cervical cancer and t' nitty gritty guideline stuff about abruptio placenta etc and different types of abortions).

me suck at Ob/GYN when we did our intro to clerkship stuff at school late last year as well as t' OB/GYN unit for pathology last year. be thar any resources ye guys would recommend to learn it well? t' didactics on me current rotation pretty much suck as he be semi-retired. So it'll be up to me. Would DIT OB/GYN videos be good for this? Or t' Kaplan vids?

Or should me just read First Aid for Ob/GYN clerkship or do t' OB/GYN Case Files series?

argh a bunch in advance folks! :)
Interested to hear this as well, but it is really hard to concentrate with the pirate talk. Thanks, SDN.

lol yeah I know I was thinking I know I don't talk that way prolly just an april fools joke

gosh, I don't know why COMLEX people love OB/GYN so much!

Finished reading the OB section in secrets this morning. Let me just say that is an excellent form of birth control.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
BUMPing this. I really wonder why COMLEX exams are so obsessed with Ob/Gyn. It's a puzzle to me.

Focus on whatever lectures or modules your rotation has you doing; they should be covering all of the essentials anyway. Do Case Files, PreTest, or First Aid first for review. I'm sure those videos mentioned would be just fine. Most of the content on these shelf exams are pretty straight forward and right out of any review book, but of course you will get some zebras and things may appear to be zebras if you don't review. A COMLEX/COMAT-oriented question bank would be best a few weeks prior to the test.

The following is high yield. Think about what you do on a day to day basis on rotation: fetal heart tracings, screening/prevention tests (DM, vaccines, etc.) throughout pregnancy, Paps for cervical cancer, STD's, vaginal bleeding and defining types of abortion. A significant portion of the test deals with the "History & Physical Exam," so things such as fundal height, calculating dates by FDMLP, what defines prematurity/abortion dates, etc. are somewhat simple but pertinent to understand (can be easily overlooked by a less study-conscious student). There are certainly topics on things you should know: contraindicated medications, molar pregnancy, menopause, eclampsia, etc. There are many problem-oriented presentations with vague presentations, so it is pertinent to review a differential of: adenxal mass, vaginal bleeding, amenorrhea, etc. Obviously review female-oriented viscerosomatic and Chapman's reflexes - some items may depend on you knowing ovaries vs. uterus vs. other. I believe there were a few landmark OMT studies on pregnancy that are likely to be high yield.

Reactions: 1 users
Focus on whatever lectures or modules your rotation has you doing; they should be covering all of the essentials anyway. Do Case Files, PreTest, or First Aid first for review. I'm sure those videos mentioned would be just fine. Most of the content on these shelf exams are pretty straight forward and right out of any review book, but of course you will get some zebras and things may appear to be zebras if you don't review. A COMLEX/COMAT-oriented question bank would be best a few weeks prior to the test.

The following is high yield. Think about what you do on a day to day basis on rotation: fetal heart tracings, screening/prevention tests (DM, vaccines, etc.) throughout pregnancy, Paps for cervical cancer, STD's, vaginal bleeding and defining types of abortion. A significant portion of the test deals with the "History & Physical Exam," so things such as fundal height, calculating dates by FDMLP, what defines prematurity/abortion dates, etc. are somewhat simple but pertinent to understand (can be easily overlooked by a less study-conscious student). There are certainly topics on things you should know: contraindicated medications, molar pregnancy, menopause, eclampsia, etc. There are many problem-oriented presentations with vague presentations, so it is pertinent to review a differential of: adenxal mass, vaginal bleeding, amenorrhea, etc. Obviously review female-oriented viscerosomatic and Chapman's reflexes - some items may depend on you knowing ovaries vs. uterus vs. other. I believe there were a few landmark OMT studies on pregnancy that are likely to be high yield.

Believe it or not, our school has provided zero modules on Ob/GYN. There are no lectures or no small groups. I think I will just have to refer to good old Case Files and the videos from Kaplan. I don't know where that $58K per year I'm spending is going.

Finished reading the OB section in secrets this morning. Let me just say that is an excellent form of birth control.
Hey do you know on the secrets section for OB question 104, if the Rh antibody titer is high, wouldn't RhoGAM still be beneficial at 28 weeks gestation? B/c it will act like IvIG and prevent any attack?

Thanks