Ob-gyn = important rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AvB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, im definitely interested in urology but was wondering which clerkships/rotations are considered important to complete and do well in before applying to residencies. i currently have ob-gyn pushed back to after the match, but is that a bad idea? i heard from somewhere that ob-gyn is actually considered an important rotation for applicants to uro, and wanted to know if urology residency programs would care if i didn't complete it before I applied. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Isn't OBGYN one of your core 3rd year rotations? ie Medicine/OB/Surg/Peds/Psych Most schools do not promote you into your 4th year until all core rotations are complete.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds right. I think surgery and medicine are probably most important with OB/Gyn third. OB/Gyn is probably the field closest to urology in terms of scope of practice, mix of surgery/medicine, and even anatomy. Maybe we should weight it more heavily.

Most urologists have a healthy (mostly good-natured) scorn for OB/Gyn stemming I think from training/cultural differences, the fact that we repair their screwups on a regular basis, and some overlap in scope with urogyn. As a field we come from general surgery roots, and we seem to align more with them--probably why surgery is seen as more important.

[YOUTUBE]ze1ZxPC9TEE[/YOUTUBE]