OB/GYN Residency malignant or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mybell68

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently a PGY-2 in an OB/GYN residency and I can personally attest to the fact that out of every other residency program at the University of Chicago, the OB one is by far, the most malignant. Yes, we have a night float system, but six nights a week, doesnt make anyone happy. Most of the other residencies here have lots of ancillary staff to make the workload alot easier, but not the OB department. I thought initially that our program was taking a move away from the malignant reputation it had, but some new attendings have re-established malignant conferences. Attendings dont get involved with teaching here, they say there is protected time for didactics, not true. Everyone do yourself a favor and unless you really absolutely, positively have to live in Chicago, dont even apply here. They will lie and say they arent malignant, but believe me, they are. :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

According to my best friend IU is very malignant.

I will be applying for OBG match in 06 so thank you for the above info. Anyone else want to give their (or their best friend's) opinions on which programs are malignant. I know its just rumor and innuendo...but I guess thats the best we can manage.

On a more positive note, any thoughts as to which university programs are non-malignant?

Members don't see this ad :)
Mybell68 said:
Hello,

I am currently a PGY-2 in an OB/GYN residency and I can personally attest to the fact that out of every other residency program at the University of Chicago, the OB one is by far, the most malignant. Yes, we have a night float system, but six nights a week, doesnt make anyone happy. Most of the other residencies here have lots of ancillary staff to make the workload alot easier, but not the OB department. I thought initially that our program was taking a move away from the malignant reputation it had, but some new attendings have re-established malignant conferences. Attendings dont get involved with teaching here, they say there is protected time for didactics, not true. Everyone do yourself a favor and unless you really absolutely, positively have to live in Chicago, dont even apply here. They will lie and say they arent malignant, but believe me, they are. :mad:

Malpractice alone should be enough reason in general to steer clear of Chicago obstetrics. Its friggen insane.

residents don't pay malpractice. you can move where ever you want after residency.

That is true Buzz. However it does nothing to bolster morale when you are surrounded by downtrodden attendings who can't wait to escape OB because of malpractice.

Yeah you can move and I'm sure the majority of grads do. Its a tough residency indeed and its nice to have a paycheck commensurate with the effort you guys put in.

OB seems to have people who change the most during their residency, in my experience. I know several people who went into OB as happy, well-adjusted, friendly, fun people. They're now 2-3 years into training and they're just plain miserable. Most of it seems to be the culture of their training programs (I can only reflect on a handful). OB was my first clinical rotation as a medical student. Halfway through the 8 week clerkship, I was ready to drop out of medicine. Fortunately, the other third year rotations were much better. In Plastics we bitch about the ED calling us for stupid stuff and Medicine consulting us for every demented 95 year-old with a bedsore, but we still have fun and enjoy each other's company. That certainly isn't the case with the OB programs that I've seen. Add the malpractice crisis and I'd be really, really sure that I wanted to do nothing but deliver babies for the rest of my career.

Of course, someday I'll have a wife and we'll have kids. You can bet your ass that I want some uber-smart, technically refined OB/Gyn in the L&D suite with us. So for those of you who do like the field, go out and change it for the better.

Hello,

IS THIS STILL TRUE???

Sorry to resurrect an old thread.

Wow, I want to make everyone aware that this is a thread resurrected from SIX years ago! I am at U Chicago for OB/GYN and could not be happier. I'm not sure what this person was referring to, but our program is the farthest thing from malignant I've ever seen. We now spend half our time at U Chicago and half our time at Northshore Evanston Hosp (which used to be affiliated with Northwestern) and while our two sites are completely different, I have felt nothing but supported and encouraged at both. I have never felt threatened or put down by faculty members here (or by other residents) and someone always has my back. My co-residents are very bright but also the people I want to relax with and go out with for drinks after work ;) I would come back here in a second if I could do things over again (and no, I'm not a new intern). If anyone has specific questions, feel free to ask, but I just needed to speak up for my program and how much I love it :)

Wow, I want to make everyone aware that this is a thread resurrected from SIX years ago! I am at U Chicago for OB/GYN and could not be happier. I'm not sure what this person was referring to, but our program is the farthest thing from malignant I've ever seen. We now spend half our time at U Chicago and half our time at Northshore Evanston Hosp (which used to be affiliated with Northwestern) and while our two sites are completely different, I have felt nothing but supported and encouraged at both. I have never felt threatened or put down by faculty members here (or by other residents) and someone always has my back. My co-residents are very bright but also the people I want to relax with and go out with for drinks after work ;) I would come back here in a second if I could do things over again (and no, I'm not a new intern). If anyone has specific questions, feel free to ask, but I just needed to speak up for my program and how much I love it :)

Thanks for updating everyone on your program. I also have a friend on faculty at Northshore who shares your opinion. I suggest letting this thread die off.