Ob/Gyn Textbooks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mumd2011

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am a 4th year student that just matched into Ob/Gyn. I am pretty sure I matched into a program that doesn't give money for textbooks. So, what does everyone recommend?

I already have a Williams Obstetrics. I'd appreciate any input on what might be beneficial. Obviously, I can't buy them all at one time but my Mom is having me set up an Amazon WishList. Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on your match.

I actually use Gabbe's obstetrics... I find it easier to read than Williams. Both are good.

TeLinde for operative gynecology
Leon Speroff for reproductive endocrine
Barakat for Gynecology oncology
Comprehensive gynecology --> forgot the authors name but big green book.

Hope that helps.

OBGYN red book and OBGYN Secrets... I highly recommend for board purposes.

Comprehensive Gyn is by Katz (this is the same book that was previously known as Droegemueller -- different edition of course). I would stick with one major textbook per subject per year (one each for OB, Gyn, REI, and Gyn/Onc). However, it would be helpful to have one OB and one Gyn textbook to start out with. Be sure to check with your program first to see if they require any specific textbooks prior to spending the money. You could always enhance your "collection" later but to each his own!
I always recommend residents to read 10-15 pages per night which means you would get through the average book in 100-120 nights. Considering that the most nights will be taken by work, rest, or play (or some variation thereof), you can see how important it is to adhere to this regimen to successfully complete the goal. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your help! Someone gave me Williams Gynecology as a gift. Has anyone looked at it? I hate to be rude and give it back or ask where it was purchased, etc.

Also, do you recommend buying Precis and Prologs? They are so expensive!

Thanks for your help! Someone gave me Williams Gynecology as a gift. Has anyone looked at it? I hate to be rude and give it back or ask where it was purchased, etc.

Also, do you recommend buying Precis and Prologs? They are so expensive!

Never looked at Williams Gyn.

I bought Prologs during my first couple of months and started doing questions very early on. I recommend it as I feel that I was able to do reasonably well on the CREOGS (>200) as an intern.

Hello all. I'm starting my residency in OBGYN soon and trying to decide on a Gyn book, between Williams Gyn or Comprehensive Gyn (Katz). I 've looked at both, however I would like to hear any opinion, especially regarding readability and how helpful they are for retaining information.

My program gave us Williams, it's easy enough to read, thorough, and well-illustrated. Not familiar with Katz. I think it's program and region-dependent, but both books are in wide use and either would probably be fine. Whatever you can get a better deal on!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

My program gave us Williams, it's easy enough to read, thorough, and well-illustrated. Not familiar with Katz. I think it's program and region-dependent, but both books are in wide use and either would probably be fine. Whatever you can get a better deal on!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thank you