OBC after residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocToad

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a quick question for you all. I am in the situation that I accepted a one year HPSP and as a result have yet to do OBC. According to my recruiter/etc, I am to do OBC when my residency is completed. The question is how long is the OBC at that point? I was told that it is 3 months and others told me it was simply the 4 weeks. What do you know?

Thanks for your help.

DocToad

Members don't see this ad.

I believe you have to go to the longer version under those circumstances.
That being said, however, I know a few docs who have been in that situation who have NEVER gone to OBC, and eventually end up being given "constructive credit" without ever going. So it's kind of a flexible situation depending on what you and the Army decide to do (or if you get "lost in the system").
Any other docs want to weigh in on this?

You would not be elidgable for the 6 weeker so it would be the full14 (I am in a similar situation). On the other hand I have heard that now they try to do a 2 week military ethics and tactics thing and then show you how to shoot a gun in its place....but I don't know.

I am still trying to figure out a way to do the HPSP OBC during my 3rd or 4th year myself...I would like the experience.