OBGYN vs FM vs IM - help please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rogue42

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

As away rotation applications open soon for third years, I need advice from people with more experience than myself. I am torn on what I want to do, and I know from the title, you're probably thinking how in the world do these things all tie in together.

Quick background: I came into medical school wanting to do surgery or EM; I like fast paced, procedures, and I like working with my hands. But as third year has progressed, things have changed (as life does), and my interests are a little different.

Thing ruled out and why:
Surgery - I enjoyed surgery, I enjoyed procedural stuff more than the surgical stuff though, and I hated when routine surgeries turned into super tedious events that required GI or uro to come in to help. I hated running the floors to every possible surgery consult. AND I hated getting to the hospital at 4:30-5 AM just to leave around 6-7 PM. I felt like I was going to sleep and waking up just to work. And I could not imagine living my life in that manner not to enjoy every aspect of surgery

EM: Have not rotated, but the current job market quite honestly scares the crap out of me. I would enjoy the procedures and fast paced environment though

Things ruled in, why, and my concerns:
OBGYN: I am male, and never in a million years thought I would be interested in this specialty. However, I really enjoyed my rotation. I enjoyed the clinic, I enjoyed getting to be an expert on one thing, I enjoyed the office based procedures, I enjoyed getting to find the fetal heart rate and measure the fundus, I enjoyed the patient population, and unlike gen surgery, I enjoyed the surgeries. They were rather quick, really routine, had very few issues (consulted uro only once - look I know surgeries are always going to be at risk of something going wrong, it just felt like that happened more in gen surg than it did in OBGYN, and I also wasn't watching the clock waiting for surgeries to be over with in OBGYN like I had for gen surg), got to use Davinci. Also, some things that you couldn't do in office, you got to go in the OR for example like ablations, D&C, or Mirena retrievals. I got to deliver babies, and appreciate that aspect of care as well. Overall, I loved this experience. My concerns though is that my attending did not take call, he delivered very few babies (as his practice was mostly older population), and I did not work with residents. So I do not truly know what the lifestyle of OBGYN is. I hear it is brutal, and if it is as brutal as surgery, then yeah I would have caution towards this specialty. I also know that the MGMA average is 300K for general OBGYN in my area, but I've never talked salary with any obgyn attendings or residents to get a real idea. I do know that if the salary is around 300k, and the lifestyle is as bad as reddit or some people on SDN make it out to be, I would be hard pressed to want to pursue this field.

Family medicine: I enjoy family medicine for the lifestyle that it offers. I have done two rotations of FM, and both attendings that I worked with (that worked at two different private practices entirely) had clinic only 4 days a week from 8-4:30 with the 5th day being a half day. They also got to do small procedures like suturing, wart removal, skin tag removal, I&Ds - just enough to keep me interested. One admitted to making on average 295k a year, and they other admitted to 335k a year AND he had his loans paid for by the hospital system he had worked at before starting his practice. Obviously this lifestyle for this kind of pay interests me. I may not get to do as many, or as large, procedures, but I would still get to do some things, while being able to pursue a life outside of medicine. This is where I get conflicted with OBGYN though because the MGMA average for FM in my area is 245k. But my attendings (one of which is only 8 years out from residency and relatively young) obviously state that their salaries are much higher than MGMA. Therefore, I find it hard to believe that if FM in my area is doing around 300k for 24 patients a day, then how is MGMA average for OBGYN in my area only 300k? And if I can live life making 300k as a FM with a great work life balance, why pursue OBGYN at all?

Internal medicine: It is ruled in for much of the same reasons as FM. Except at the end of residency, if I wanted, I could go pursue a more procedural based fellowship, and if not, I could practice just like FM or do 7 on 7 off as a hospitalist and get to do some procedures.

Look, I am not in medicine for the money, but obviously when we are talking work life balance, it has to be considered which is why I brought it up in the context of lifestyle/hours worked vs compensation. Also, I guess I just need to know more about OBGYN lifestyle to better help formulate my opinions. If anybody could chime in on your experience with these fields, that would be great!

And I guess all of this gives me anxiety because I would hate to use an away rotation opportunity, for something that I later find out, that I hate because I didn’t have the information to make an informers decision. #stressed

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sounds like you really like OB. Focus on getting additional experience in that and then make your decision.

See if you can get more experience in ObGyn, rotate with residents and see if you truly want that lifestyle.

IM has many routes to pursue procedures if you do cards, Pulm/crit, GI but those are not guaranteed and you can still do procedures as a hospitalist at smaller community hospitals with open ICU's which is starting to become a dying breed TBH.