Observership in private practice worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drahmajuve

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I might have an opportunity to pursue an observership and receive LOR in private practice. I am aware that I don't have a luxury to choose between various rotations, but as I'm very limited in funds, I'm trying to choose the best option. It is a stupid question probably, but I was wondering if private practice LOR was valuable or should I wait for hospitals to start accepting IMGs(is it realistic)?
I am applying to IM and this private practice specifically focuses on one of the specialties.

Members don't see this ad.

I think if you need US clinical experience it will be valuable, especially if you get a good letter out of it. And in case that hospitals don't open up to you, at least you'll have a backup.

Reactions: 1 user
If you need experience in US, yes. If you don’t, yes. My third and fourth year, I focused on increasing my variety by rotating through PP, community, residency, and corporate places to see everything and it was very valuable for my long term career growth.