Obtaining in-state tuition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soxfan7810

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum (previous lurker lol) and have a question regarding tuition. Does anyone know of any schools that allow you to obtain in-state tuition after the first year? The only DPT program in my state is a private university and cost is going to be a huge factor when deciding where to apply/eventually attend.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I know that Texas State allows an out of state student to pay resident tuition if that student has received one of the schools scholarships valued at $1000 or greater.

What is your home state?

I know that my state, California, allows you to pay in-state tuition after a year if you meet certain requirements. Basically, you are supposed to show that you're not just in the state to be a student, which is pretty hard in a full-time DPT program unless you have a family. My husband went through the in-state residency process for his undergrad, and some of the big factors were:

-Changing all bank accounts to CA
-Getting CA drivers license, re-registering car
-Working in-state/paying CA income taxes
-Voting in CA

It was a pain in the ass getting all the documentation, and they made him jump through hoops, but it wasn't really that hard. Of course that's just one state, but I hope that helps a little!

This can be harder than you think. One school I looked at required the expected proof of one year of residency without being in school as well as an in-state drivers licence. They also required a one-page essay describing why I've decided to move to the state with intentions other than pursuing higher education. They would ask for tax information to make sure I was working in the state. They would also review my transcripts. There would be an interview. They could change their mind up til two weeks before the beginning of class. The difference in tuition is in-state ~ 12k/year and out of state ~33k/year for a three year program. So I could get accepted to the school only for them to change their mind regarding residency status and get stuck with a 99k tuition for the program. That's way too much. I think its a dead giveaway that I'd be moving to the state to attend at a cheaper rate. I've since crossed it off as an option.