Obtaining PR before Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starryangel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an Asian student who's currently pursuing an undergraduate degree in Medical Science (honours) in one of the Australian Universities. And I will be here for 3 years, doing fast-track course.
I intend to continue pursuing Graduate Medicine here in Australia after that. However, I would need a Permanent Visa to ensure that I'm paying domestic fees, which is obviously much lower than international fees.
What is my realistic chance of obtaining a PV before entering medical school? What should I do to enhance my chances of getting it? I have 1st cousins who are PR holders here...would it help?
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an Asian student who's currently pursuing an undergraduate degree in Medical Science (honours) in one of the Australian Universities. And I will be here for 3 years, doing fast-track course.
I intend to continue pursuing Graduate Medicine here in Australia after that. However, I would need a Permanent Visa to ensure that I'm paying domestic fees, which is obviously much lower than international fees.
What is my realistic chance of obtaining a PV before entering medical school? What should I do to enhance my chances of getting it? I have 1st cousins who are PR holders here...would it help?
Thank you.

You can only apply for your PR after 2 years of being in Australia, and if you are going to use the Medical Science degree for the purpose of the PR you will have to apply once you have finished.

Unfortunately for you there will be a cut in the number of PRs for 2009/10 that are offered because of the economic crisis and certain occupations (but not doctors) were removed from the SOL. I'm not sure if yours would be in that category but it would be wise to check.

As for your chances, take the points test and see how many you would get. If you get enough points then you should be able to get a PR, the question is will you get the PR before you start medical school? If you don't, then you will have to apply as an international student.