Ochem in summer at another institution

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ceng2doc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been working for full-time, and my university doesn't provide with flexible schedules to take ochem (1 or 2, along with lab) courses.

I'm planning to take ochem-1 in this Summer, in order to be able to take ochem-2 in next fall/spring before applications in 2011. I'm allowed double-enroll to take any course and transfer them into my transcript, provided that I've informed my university beforehand and get the written authorization.

How much harm taking ochem-1 from another institution apart from my university could give to my application in doing this way? (some say it's bad since it'll definitely raise red-flags, and my advisors at school don't recommend it)

Any experiences from who did this way and did achieve or not?

P.S.: I'm planning to take the ochem-1 from a 4-year-degree-giving institution of which used to be a "junior college" until 2001, thus -unfortunately- still has its name as "College". But, now it's been giving BA and BS degrees in several different fields like Biology, Education, Nursing, Business Administration, etc. I wish it changed its name to something having "university" in it. This is all about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Petersburg_College

Members don't see this ad.

Aren't you required to have fulfilled the prerequisites prior to matriculation rather than application? So why do you have to fit in both semesters of orgo before applying?

(I ask this because I, myself, will still be taking a prereq class after applying...)

Of course if you still haven't taken the MCAT and you want to get through orgo sooner in order to take the MCAT sooner in order to apply, then that's different.

By the way, I don't think it should be a problem to take one class outside of your home institution over the summer, since you do have a legitimate reason, and it's not like you're taking it at a community college.

Aren't you required to have fulfilled the prerequisites prior to matriculation rather than application? So why do you have to fit in both semesters of orgo before applying?

(I ask this because I, myself, will still be taking a prereq class after applying...)

Of course if you still haven't taken the MCAT and you want to get through orgo sooner in order to take the MCAT sooner in order to apply, then that's different.

By the way, I don't think it should be a problem to take one class outside of your home institution over the summer, since you do have a legitimate reason, and it's not like you're taking it at a community college.
Yes, I'd like to get better prepared for the MCAT, and this was why to take ochem-1 in the summer. Another reason is, specific to my case, my university honestly doesn't provide with flexible schedules for us full-time working students. If I miss spring/fall at my university to take those courses, then it's a nightmare for the summer semester. That was why.

I'm planning to take some upper-level science courses in my gliding year until matriculation, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it's an accredited college, it shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure the course level and number of credits match with what you need at your college for graduation!

I took orgo 2 over the summer just before my MCAT last summer. I actually took mine at a 2 yr college. I think a lot of how much it matters depends on where you plan to go. The school(s) I want to go to all just want an explanation. Actually, at my interview last week, I was asked why I took it at a 2yr. They understood my reasoning though and I wasn't docked any points for it. Just make sure you do well!

I believe you have to have taken orgo 1 & 2 prior to your application. Those are vital courses which many schools base their calculation of sGPA on and look at heavily. Also, you are supposed to have taken them both prior to taking the MCAT. They usually say about 25% of the Physical Sciences section is on Orgo (mine was almost 40% orgo though). Good luck.

Taking Orgo elsewhere is a red flag when 1) it is a weed-out class at your home institution 2) you have a high gpa at your home institution (looks like you are protecting the gpa by not challenging yourself) 3) you take it at a school that where it is really easy to be admitted as an undergrad (the pool of students is considered weaker and therefore the competition for grades less intense). Funny thing, some of these summer classes in community colleges and small-time schools are full of students from tip top universities who are taking summer classes for one reason or another and the competition is fierce. Also, be sure to check ratemyprofessor.com as you may not otherwise hear of the professor's reputation/style. There are some horror stories out there about summer pre-reqs with professors from hell.

LizzyM: quick questions. Does it look bad if you take orgo or another chem class as a "non credit" course.

why would i want to do this? well lets say i really want to get good grades in orgo, taking it as a non credit course would allow me to attend class, but no grade will be awarded with the completion of the course.

what's your take on that?

thanks.

Although we see everything on all your transcripts, I'm not sure we always look closely at what was taken for no credit (sometimes called "audit"). It isn't a big deal.

Taking Orgo elsewhere is a red flag when 1) it is a weed-out class at your home institution 2) you have a high gpa at your home institution (looks like you are protecting the gpa by not challenging yourself) 3) you take it at a school that where it is really easy to be admitted as an undergrad (the pool of students is considered weaker and therefore the competition for grades less intense). Funny thing, some of these summer classes in community colleges and small-time schools are full of students from tip top universities who are taking summer classes for one reason or another and the competition is fierce. Also, be sure to check ratemyprofessor.com as you may not otherwise hear of the professor's reputation/style. There are some horror stories out there about summer pre-reqs with professors from hell.
LizzyM,

I'm planning to wrap up with taking my pre-reqs before applying to in 2011, such that I'll be only taking 2-3 upper-level science courses -depending on my schedules- during my gliding year.

First of all, some say that you've to take the ochem's before the "application" (not before the matriculation). This could be generalized like you've to finish all of your pre-reqs before you apply. Is that correct?

How about if I take them two ochem courses along with their labs during my gliding year (assuming that I prepared myself to MCAT without taking them)? Will the schools delay my interviews until after those grades are available?

If I have to really take the ochem's before my applications, then I don't wanna miss this summer to take at least ochem-1 at another institution in order to be able to take ochem-2 in next fall/spring semester at my home institution before I apply in 2011. Shall I still have a red flag doing in this way?

You need not take all the pre-reqs before applying and your application will not be held up waiting for grades in the pre-reqs.

However, from what I hear, organic chem is pretty important for the MCAT.

On the other hand, I know someone who scored a 10 in the bio section after having had only a semester of bio.... that applicant had plenty of interviews without having yet taken the second semester of bio.

Bio isn't really important if you've taken the upper-level Cell Bio, Genetics, Physiology, Biochemistry, etc.