OD degree in US, practice in Australia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyegirl23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering moving to Australia, and was wondering if anyone has ever gone through the process. I understand that you need to take written and clinical exams, and then apply for registration and skilled migration (Australia has a great website <http://www.ocanz.org/competency-in-optometry-examination/overview-of-the-assessment-process-overseas-optometrist>). How long does each step take? Is there a way to move to Australia before being registered (in order to take the examinations)? Or is there a way to have the U.S. boards accepted as equivalent?

Members don't see this ad.

I was given a non-optometry job in NZ. My wife, also an optometrist, and I looked into opt licensure there. They have the same process for optometric licensure as Aus. It was prohibitively expensive and time consuming. We calculated that exams, which you will have to take, would be thousands and thousands of dollars. Because of when they are offered it would have taken a year before they were completed. On top of this you would be entering a terrible situation. Optometry is under attack in Aus and NZ. Commercial places are taking over. They have decimated private practice.

It is also quite difficult to get a work permit unless you have citizenship or a job offer.

Optometry is not a profession that lends itself to working abroad.

Hello everyone, I apologize in advance but for some reason I haven't been able to find the option to create a new thread. I'm an italian MD and I'm badly in need of some info about Australia as it's always been my dream to go complete my education there. I know already you've got to get general registration (achieving AMC + IELTS + 1 year of internship) + Permanent Residency in order to get into a medical residency. My question is, once Ive got everything done, how hard is it for a IMG (or OTD you decide) to get into a Medical Oncology residency in Victoria? Is it true that right now it is really hard due to the "new oz MDs tsunami"? Thank you everyone and sorry again about the intrusion!

Hello everyone, I apologize in advance but for some reason I haven't been able to find the option to create a new thread. I'm an italian MD and I'm badly in need of some info about Australia as it's always been my dream to go complete my education there. I know already you've got to get general registration (achieving AMC + IELTS + 1 year of internship) + Permanent Residency in order to get into a medical residency. My question is, once Ive got everything done, how hard is it for a IMG (or OTD you decide) to get into a Medical Oncology residency in Victoria? Is it true that right now it is really hard due to the "new oz MDs tsunami"? Thank you everyone and sorry again about the intrusion!

I think the best bet would be to post this in the Medical forums, in the international area. Here's the direct page for you: <http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=88> The "New Thread" button is located on top of all the thread topics. Good Luck!