OD school missing some prereqs, w/ COMT background, NEED ADVICE!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swyc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!!

I graduated undergrad in May 2014 and I'm planning on going back to school and applying for SCCO for Fall 2016. While in undergrad, I attended a program to become a Certified Ophthalmic Medical Technologist since I was still debating on whether I wanted to be an OD or MD. And during my gap year, I worked as an ophthalmic technician at a practice with both an optometrist and ophthalmologist to help me decide. Now that I'm confident in my future choice, I'm starting my OD application, but I had a heavy workload while in my undergrad years and I didn't take some of the prereqs (microbio and biochem). However, I have taken several courses in visual sciences and ocular health (from the COMT program), so I was wondering if that would be enough. Do I still need to take the prereqs? and if I do, would there be enough time before the Fall?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Most likely yes, but only way to know for sure is to call the school. If there is time would depend on the class schedule for your school!

Reactions: 1 user
Yes you will probably need to take the pre-reqs! But call the schools, you never know!