Odd MCAT Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

antispatula

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I applied to a bunch of MD schools this round, but did not think I was going to be accepted anywhere this round, so I signed up to retake the MCAT January 15th, the last week of the "old" MCAT (I got a 29 on my first try). I was sick during my first MCAT administration, and knew that I could do better if I retook it. Anyways, turns out I did get accepted to med school this time around (wahoo!). Therefore, I don't need to take the MCAT again, but I've studied so hard for it again already and already feel 95% ready to retake it. I want to retake it just so I can see if I can indeed get the score I believe I can get, it's more of a personal thing than a practical thing.

Anyways, am I even allowed to retake it since I have already said yes to a school? I tried calling the AAMC but they are closed till monday so I thought I'd ask here.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you're allowed to retake it. However, there will be no consequences for voiding/cancelling it, but there may be consequences for retaking it. Your school may reconsider the offer if the score comes back a 27 or so- which would still be within one standard deviation of your original score.

If I were you, I would hit that cancel button so fast and do my favorite activity on January 15th instead, because you're going to have minimal free time and all the multiple choice tests you can eat in med school.

Reactions: 1 user
Take your med school acceptance and RUN! Go on vacation, go do anything besides take the MCAT. I know you want to try and get a better score, but look at the picture. You're taking this test to get INTO med school...if you already got in, there's no point in retaking it! If this is a pride thing, just let it go. Getting a 35 on the MCAT means nothing without an acceptance.

And like Underhill said, if by some chance you do worse, the school may rescind the acceptance.