MPH Odds of MPH Acceptance with Medical Withdrawal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowy_owl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, SDN!

I came here today to ask about acceptance to an MPH program under an unusual circumstance. (Mods, I apologize if this is in the wrong place.)

I am currently:
- a third-year undergraduate at a large state school (majoring in global health with a certificate in women's studies),
- studying abroad in Japan, and
- planning on graduating at the end of this summer. (My "spring semester" ends this month - next week, actually - since the Japanese academic calendar differs a bit from the American one.)

Before I began my study abroad semester, I was a really good student. I earned a 3.77 GPA. I worked my tail off trying to graduate early - originally I planned on doing 3.5 years, but I even managed to get all my requirements and more completed in three. I worked for almost two years doing administrative and research work under a renowned public health professor, and have been credited for that work in major PH-related publications. I also participated in a number of clubs and student organizations. And in addition to my current study abroad, I studied abroad another time two summers ago in China, where I did global health-related research.

However, these past few months, I've been dealing with a serious and significant personal/medical condition that has very much affected my ability to devote myself to my coursework. I'm predicting that I will get Cs and Ds this semester; my home university requires that students get letter grades for their study abroad classes, no pass/fails allowed. I'm also considering medical withdrawal; in fact, I would even say I'm leaning toward that option right now.

Yet I feel like I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't. If I follow through with the semester, the grad schools will think I'm a bad student who stopped caring in her final semester. If I withdraw for medical reasons, they'll think I am a weak applicant who won't be able to handle the challenges of a graduate program.

I care so, so much about public health and I want nothing more than to be successful in the field, and I feel that I can set myself up for success by attending a top school for my master's degree. But this semester is making that seem impossible. (I'm even crying at the thought of having my goals crushed as I write this, haha.)

My top schools right now are Columbia, BU, UNC-Chapel Hill, and Berkeley, and I want to concentrate in maternal and child health, if that makes any difference.

Thank you in advance for your consideration and responses.

Members don't see this ad.

I think no matter what grad school you do, you'll need to address this semester in your personal/professional statement. Dedicate a section to the circumstances which help explain what happened and this will improve your chances.

As Stories mentioned above, you are definitely going to want to either incorporate this obstacle into your personal statement and/or a supplementary essay that explains to the admissions committee at each school the reasoning behind your poor academic performance in your last semester of undergrad. Be sure to frame your personal statement and/or supplementary essay to display your growth from this challenge, and not as a pity cry.

If it means anything, you should not feel like you ruined your chances at getting into a top MPH program. Every university takes a very holistic approach when evaluating applicants and selecting their incoming cohorts. Your past academic merits, research and experience will help your case tremendously, as your past successes and experiences highlight your passion and commitment to public health.

Side note: I see that you have not mentioned anything pertaining to the GRE, though performing well on that will also show admission committees that you can handle graduate-level coursework. Though, I'm sure with a 3.77 GPA, that you've already displayed strong quantitative, analytical, verbal and writing skills in your coursework.

As a suggestion, I also recommend considering Tulane, as they have a highly regarded maternal and child health program at their School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine.

I hope this helps settle your nerves. Don't fret, your career is not ruined and you will get into a great MPH program. Best of luck!