# of aways in psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
H

Highwalk

Would it be doable to do three away rotations in psychiatry while taking Step 2 before my ERAS is submitted? I'm aware of students who have done this for other specialties but haven't really heard about this for Psych. As a follow-up question, how difficult would this be, financially, mentally, and academically? Asking because I'll probably be couples matching - we both are students of a poorly known medical school in the middle of nowhere and want to open up the entire country to maximize our chances at matching at programs we like in a location we'd be happy at.

Also, I always hear that doing an away at a certain region "unlocks" that area for interviews.... being from the Northeast, I'm curious if an away rotation would unlock Southeast programs as well?

Members don't see this ad.

I just matched. From my experience, sending letters of interest nice and early is enough to "unlock" programs for you with an interview invite. It will take a lot of stamina to be on your best behavior for 12 weeks, but if you think you can, my experience was positive with aways (ie, they got me higher on rank lists). I also know people who did aways and then didn't even get invites from the programs. So, perhaps the most surefire thing to do would be to prioritize crushing step 2 ck over exhausting yourself with aways. Depends on where your strengths lie!

I did plenty of aways, 4 total but one was just 2 weeks. I definitely think it helped me, but I come off better in person than I am on paper.
You have this unique situation with COVID though, it might not be a possibility.

Members don't see this ad :)
3 aways would be overkill under normal circumstances. Would likely be harder to even get 1 (assuming we are talking about this calendar year) with covid still going around. Still, wouldn't hurt to try and apply.

IMO would be much better to do your best at ONE away vs being financially, emotionally, and physically burned out by a gauntlet of three. but then again just my twopence...

In general it's usually not necessary.

If you're personable and hard working, it can help to rotate somewhere you're interested in.

I've also seen medical students not get interviewed despite doing an away rotation because of poor performance, laziness, or a proven poor "fit" with the residency.

Personalized letters of interest are the new away

Reactions: 2 users
While studying for Step 2? Sounds like a bad idea. Focus on studying and passing. Do an away or two after boards. Aways dont have to be before you submit the app. When I did my aways, I did one during the time I was submitting, and one more after. Matched just fine.