Offer letter incorrect salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Protosri

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My program has stated an old/incorrect PGY 1 salary in the offer letter. Their explanation is that the 2019-20 salary is still being negotiated and is not on paper. It will mostly turn up in the institution GME contract to be received later.

To avoid unwanted delays in the onboarding process, some of us have signed the offer letter for the lower amount, hoping that this gets rectified in the contract.

My question is, was it legally a poor move to have signed it?

Pls share your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Worst case is they don't increase your salary but you don't have the option to not show up so it's a moot point. I'd sign realizing one way or another it'll get sorted out and you're not in the position to negotiate individually for a higher salary. Sadly such is the joy of being a resident.

Reactions: 1 users
Realistically you did the only rational thing by signing it. Yes, there's probably room for mischief on the part of the program, but 1) chances are your program is being honest and you'll get what they promised you, and 2) you're not going to start a 3-7 year relationship with your program by suing them over a few thousand dollars are you?

I would suggest signing the contract. I understand the frustration with having a potentially lower salary but having said that I don’t think any university program will want to start off by telling you one salary n offering another. My program went up on my salary twice in the last 6 years. It’s really GME/hospital administration dependent, you’ll likely get the bump in salary if not this year than next. Again sign the contract in good faith n also cuz you kinda have too. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
This happens ALL THE TIME. I doubt they are trying to screw you. And the difference is usually relatively small, and not worth causing a ruckus over.

And we have increased resident salaries in the middle of a contract cycle.

This happens ALL THE TIME. I doubt they are trying to screw you. And the difference is usually relatively small, and not worth causing a ruckus over.

And we have increased resident salaries in the middle of a contract cycle.

Thank you! I am certainly not pedantic about a few hundred/thousand dollars a year, at the cost of starting on the wrong foot with my program. I am looking forward to my training, that's all that matters. I was just concerned that the salaries clearly mentioned elsewhere for this calendar year (website/other program offer letters) were different from my program's offer letters. After asking around, it does seem to happen often.

Thanks again!

Hi guys,

My program has stated an old/incorrect PGY 1 salary in the offer letter. Their explanation is that the 2019-20 salary is still being negotiated and is not on paper. It will mostly turn up in the institution GME contract to be received later.

To avoid unwanted delays in the onboarding process, some of us have signed the offer letter for the lower amount, hoping that this gets rectified in the contract.

My question is, was it legally a poor move to have signed it?

Pls share your thoughts.

Unlike in real job offers as an attending where different people can negotiate different things, residents all get the same salary regardless of gender, ethnicity, and whatever else. So if you didn't sign it and your colleagues signed it, it makes no difference. You will all get the same $$$. I doubt they would screw over the entire entering class.

Just sign it. Every PGY1 resident in the institution no matter their specialty will make an identical salary, so it doesn't matter what the slip of paper says.