Offered admission but still no word on financial support. Do I accept?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psych0000

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was offered admission to a school psychology PhD program one week after I interviewed in person (mid February). I was told that any information on financial support would be provided at "a later time". Now its about two weeks until final decision day (April 15) and the program still hasn't provided me with ANY information on financial support. There is no standard stipend at this program (as there is for many of the clinical PhD programs) but there are different '"fellowships" available (no separate application needed), mostly from the department, some through the university.

I've emailed with the director this month -- they said I should expect to hear by early March, then said I should have a better idea in two more weeks.... now its been three more weeks but still no word.

Is this common? Am I crazy for thinking I should be given a full picture of what to expect financially before accepting an offer? Feel like I'm being strung along and I'm very confused. Did the PI change their mind about me? Is the program sloooooowly awarding fellowships one at a time and waiting for people to accept/decline?

Members don't see this ad.

My best guess is that they made more offers than they have funding for, but that they aren't willing to tell you that you won't get funding until they are sure that's true (i.e., until others accept or decline their offers). I'd contact them again (including your future supervisor, who might be more willing to give you the scoop) and reiterate your interest in the program but stating that you can't make a decision until you hear about funding... And then ask again when you might expect to hear more.

Good luck! I hope this works out.

Reactions: 1 user
Is this common? Am I crazy for thinking I should be given a full picture of what to expect financially before accepting an offer? Feel like I'm being strung along and I'm very confused. Did the PI change their mind about me? Is the program sloooooowly awarding fellowships one at a time and waiting for people to accept/decline?

No, you actually seem to be in the rational minority compared to what we usually see on these forums. I would want to know beforehand so I don't get a surprise bill for thousands of dollars in the mail. I'd e-mail again, with some dressed up language, stating that before you can make a decision, you will need to have a firm, in writing, agreement about the financial cost of the degree, especially in relation to any financial support that is available.

Members don't see this ad :)
Am I crazy for thinking I should be given a full picture of what to expect financially before accepting an offer?

No, not at all! The funding package is part of a complete offer. It would be unreasonable to expect you to accept before you know the terms.

When I was applying, I turned down an offer from a school psych PhD program that was otherwise awesome but wouldn't make any effort to find us funding until we accepted the offer (funding was "very likely" but not guaranteed). It really sucked to turn down that program, but I couldn't justify that risk of choosing a non-guaranteed funding option over two offers that had funding attached. It's too expensive to play that game, IMO.

When I was applying, I turned down an offer from a school psych PhD program that was otherwise awesome but wouldn't make any effort to find us funding until we accepted the offer (funding was likely but not guaranteed). It really sucked to turn down that program, but I couldn't justify that risk of choosing a non-guaranteed funding option over two offers that had funding attached. It's too expensive to play that game, IMO.
I was getting ready to say something along those lines. If they can't nail it down in time, then go with whoever can. If it's the only offer then take it with something in writing stating that it is conditional on funding.

Would you consider accepting a job that wouldn't tell you what your salary would be?

Not every school can provide a written guarantee of funding/cost for X years due to a variety of factors (unknown grant funding, statewide tuition hikes, etc.), but if they can't provide you a funding package for your first year and some sort of indication of what to expect moving forward (i.e. statistics on funding history of current students) it is entirely reasonable to delay until they can provide that information.

Thanks for the replies. No I don't have any other offers or waitlists, but I have not shared that with this program or PI.

Thanks for the replies. No I don't have any other offers or waitlists, but I have not shared that with this program or PI.
Then I would continue to do what they have advised and play the waiting game to see if you can put pressure on them until April 15th. Hopefully they will give more information on funding (as they should to enable people to make rationale decisions).

I was offered admission to a school psychology PhD program one week after I interviewed in person (mid February). I was told that any information on financial support would be provided at "a later time". Now its about two weeks until final decision day (April 15) and the program still hasn't provided me with ANY information on financial support. There is no standard stipend at this program (as there is for many of the clinical PhD programs) but there are different '"fellowships" available (no separate application needed), mostly from the department, some through the university.

I've emailed with the director this month -- they said I should expect to hear by early March, then said I should have a better idea in two more weeks.... now its been three more weeks but still no word.

I'm in a similar position at the moment -- have a potential offer for Pre-Psychology units leading onto acceptance into an undergrad degree, but I can't submit an application until some current confusion over government funding is sorted out, or I could find myself having to quit before I've even gotten through the first year due to financial strain. It sucks. Hope things work out for you.