Official 2008 Secondary Essay Prompts Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard from the University of Washington or know when they send out secondaries?

Members don't see this ad.

OMG, is SUNY upstate taking FOREVER to send anyone else a secondary?? lol

Just got their secondary. 3 essays:

In evaluating applicants with a variety of backgrounds and strengths the Admissions Committee assesses each applicant as to what they can contribute to their class and also the potential of an applicant to contribute to society. Please describe to the Admissions Committee what you have to offer in this regard. (1800 characters, with spaces).

Please describe to the Admissions Committee a challenge you have overcome and what you learned about yourself from that experience. (1800 characters, with spaces).

This essay is only for applicants that have already received their baccalaureate degree. Please clarify for the Admissions Committee your activities (school, work and/or volunteer, travel, etc.) since receiving your undergraduate degree. You may list them in chronological order or you may incorporate them into an essay, stating why you chose particular activities. (1800 characters, with spaces).

Members don't see this ad :)
Links to Available Secondary Prompts

Albany Medical College - online, e-mail invite
Albert Einstein - online, e-mail invite
Baylor - online
Boston & update - e-mail invite
Brown - e-mail
Case Western - e-mail invite
Cincinnati - e-mail invite
Columbia - email invite
Cornell - email invitation
Creighton
Dartmouth - online
Drexel - no essays
Duke
ECU (Brody) - email invite
Eastern Virginia Medical School - email invitation
Emory - e-mail invite, on or before August 15th
ETSU-Quillen
FSU - email invitation
Georgetown - e-mail invite
GW - email invitation
Harvard - e-mail invite
Indiana - Snail mail
Jefferson - e-mail invite
Johns Hopkins - online
Loyola - snail mail invite, online application
Mayo Medical School - Payment required just to look at primary application? Additional secondary application/fee unknown
Marshall
MCW - e-mail invite, no essays
Meharry - online
MSU-CHM - email invitation
Mt. Sinai - email
MUSC - E-mail invite
Northwestern
NYU and also NYU
New York Medical College- online via email invite, no essays involved
Ohio state - email invitation
OHSU - e-mail invite
Penn State - email
Pitt - e-mail invite
Rochester - snail mail invite, no secondary essays, interview essays
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
SLU - e-mail invite
South Carolina - e-mail invite
Stony Brook
SUNY Downstate - e-mail invite
SUNY Upstate - e-mail invite
Temple
Tufts
Tulane - online
University of Alabama - unknown
U at Buffalo - no essays
UChicago-Pritzker - e-mail invite
UCincinnati
UCLA (Geffen) - email invite
UColorado
UConn - online
UC Irvine
UCSD - email invite, 2 page personal statement
UCSF - no essays, update if necessary
UF- email
UIC - e-mail invite
UIowa
UKentucky - e-mail invite
U of Louisville - e-mail invite
UMaryland
UMDNJ-RWJMS - e-mail invitation, no essays
UMDNJ-New Jersey Medical School - email invite
UMiami - e-mail invite
UMichigan - e-mail invite
UMinn Duluth - e-mail invite
UMC - e-mail invite
U Missouri - email invite
UNC- e-mail invite
UPenn - e-mail invite, no essays
USUHS - e-mail invite
UTSW - TMDSAS should be submitted first
UOk - e-mail invite
USC (Keck) - e-mail
USF - e-mail invite
UVA
UVermont - e-mail invite, no essays
UWisc - e-mail Invite
Vanderbilt
VCU
Wake Forest - email Invite
WashU - email invite
Wayne State - snail mail
Wright State - no essays
Yale - online; prompt

This Year's Official Secondary Discussion Thread
Last Year's 2007 Secondary Thread

Congratulations!:laugh:
08/07/2007

You are receiving a UC Irvine, School of Medicine 2008 Secondary Application. It is very important that you carefully read the instructions for the secondary application. The online application is available at http://www.ucihs.uci.edu/admissions/.
Your assigned password is UCIKECS:love:. You will need this password till the end of the application cycle.

For any assistance, please contact us at [email protected].

Regards,
Office of Admissions and Outreach

Congratulations!:laugh:
08/07/2007

You are receiving a UC Irvine, School of Medicine 2008 Secondary Application. It is very important that you carefully read the instructions for the secondary application. The online application is available at http://www.ucihs.uci.edu/admissions/.
Your assigned password is UCIKECS:love:. You will need this password till the end of the application cycle.

For any assistance, please contact us at [email protected].

Regards,
Office of Admissions and Outreach

It's kinda funny that UCI being so late would pull out in front of Davis like that. :p GL with it! It's kinda tedious. :p

was rochester's applicaiton literally just click one thing about who's sending ur rec? ... and like ur affiliates?... i jsut submitted it and i feel liek it was too short. i'm getting worried waht if i skipped a page...

was rochester's applicaiton literally just click one thing about who's sending ur rec? ... and like ur affiliates?... i jsut submitted it and i feel liek it was too short. i'm getting worried waht if i skipped a page...

yeah that's it for the supplemental app. if you get an interview they ask you to complete a couple essays at that point. good luck!

I go to BU undergrad; my premed advisor said that yes, it really is optional. Unless you have something meaningful to write, don't write it.

Yeah? :) good to know.. i've been putting it off for weeks becuase i didn't have a chance to write a full blown essay.

anyone OOS hear from unc yet?

anyone hear from UMASS yet?

problem solved

Got an email invite for the Drexel secondary this afternoon. No essays, just simple EC questions.

Yo mang,
can you or someone else post these simple EC questions?
Thanks and I love you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably not a huge demand for these questions since they really only send the secondary to in-staters and there don't seem to be many on this site.

All have 1200 character limit:
Given the mission of this school, please justify why you should be accepted for admittance.

Describe the type of medical practice you envision for yourself in 10 to 15 years.

Describe how your experiences in health care or social care activities will help you become a good physician.

Briefly describe a crisis situation in your life, how you have worked through the crisis, and what you have learned from this experience.

What are your career plans in the event that you are not admitted to a medical school this year? After several applications?

Then there's a question for reapplicants and one for out-of-staters asking them to explain their ties to SD.

Baylor - online
Brown - e-mail
Columbia - email invite
Creighton
Dartmouth - online
Drexel - no essays
Duke
ETSU-Quillen
FSU - email invitation
GW - email invitation
Harvard - e-mail invite
Indiana - Snail mail
Johns Hopkins - online
Mayo Medical School - Payment required just to look at primary application? Additional secondary application/fee unknown
Marshall
Meharry - online
Mt. Sinai - email
MUSC - E-mail invite
Northwestern
NYU and also NYU
OHSU - e-mail invite
Penn State - email
Pitt - e-mail invite
Rosalind Franklin
Rush
SLU - e-mail invite
Stony Brook
Temple
Tufts
Tulane - online
U at Buffalo - no essays
UCincinnati
UColorado
UConn - online
UC Irvine
UF- email
UIC - e-mail invite
UIowa
UMaryland
UMiami - e-mail invite
UMC - e-mail invite
UNC- e-mail invite
USUHS - e-mail invite
UOk - e-mail invite
USC (Keck) - e-mail
USD - e-mail invite
USF - e-mail invite
UVA
UWisc - e-mail Invite
Vanderbilt
VCU
WashU - email invite
Wayne State - snail mail
Wright State - no essays
Yale - online; prompt

Sorry didn't see the previous.

Yo mang,
can you or someone else post these simple EC questions?
Thanks and I love you.

There really aren't even EC questions...

Just annoying blanks to fill in (like a table format) that are the same as the AMCAS information, but here they are:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]List employment experiences in chronological order. Start with most recent:

.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]List medically related volunteer activities in chronological order. Start with most recent:

.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]List extracurricular, other volunteer, or community service activities in chronological order. Start with most recent:.

There really aren't even EC questions...

Just annoying blanks to fill in (like a table format) that are the same as the AMCAS information, but here they are:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]List employment experiences in chronological order. Start with most recent:

.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]List medically related volunteer activities in chronological order. Start with most recent:

.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]List extracurricular, other volunteer, or community service activities in chronological order. Start with most recent:.
These questions are strangely arousing.
Thanks. I need some time to myself now. Plus, I like all the formatting you did. That's some hardcore /size /fonting you dropped all over all our asses.

These questions are strangely arousing.
Thanks. I need some time to myself now. Plus, I like all the formatting you did. That's some hardcore /size /fonting you dropped all over all our asses.

It was just copy and pasted from the application, but Im happy to see you are enjoying it.

1. If you wish to apply to a dual degree program, please write a one-page description of your background and interest in the dual degree program

2. Briefly discuss any extenuating circumstances which you feel are pertinent to your application (poor grades, course withdrawals, etc).

3. The University of Toledo College of Medicine is committed to excellence in education which prepares graduates to deliver quality health care. Developing cultural competence is an important goal in our curriculum. Cultural competence is defined as an awareness, understanding and ability to use specific methods to deal effectively with cultural issues and its role in health and health care. Please discuss a life experience in which you feel you demonstrated cultural competence.

I've got a question about what to write in this section for the BU secondary. I am a person with very strong convictions and morals I wanted to say something about the importance of ethics to me in everyday life as well as in medicine. Will this come across too self-righteous?

I've got a question about what to write in this section for the BU secondary. I am a person with very strong convictions and morals I wanted to say something about the importance of ethics to me in everyday life as well as in medicine. Will this come across too self-righteous?

I think it might be OK if you phrase it correctly. It might make you stand out, which could be a good thing.

I agree that it'll probably be fine. I highly doubt it would really be seen as a negative in your app if you included it, but probably won't have a big impact. Personally, I'd only put that in the optional BU essay if I could tie it in to a strong ethics program or track at BU in particular. I don't recall if they're one of the schools with one or not.

I was wondering if anyone else got Dartmouth's secondary in snail mail only? I didn't get anything online...

and on a related note, I was curious as to what people wrote in regards to why they chose to apply to a particular school- there's only so much you can learn from a website or other source (like some schools I applied to because someone recommended) I'm wondering what to say without sounding cliche or trite.

PS: in response to the Univ of Wash secondary, I'm pretty sure they're sending them out as I got mine last week.

Anyone else receive SUNY Upstate yet who applied later than early/mid July? That's when my AMCAS was verified and still no word...

Also, does Rush expect us to just do the secondary ourselves without notification? I know its online but they haven't sent anything to me regarding it so I'm not sure if I can submit it or not?

Anyone else receive SUNY Upstate yet who applied later than early/mid July? That's when my AMCAS was verified and still no word...

Also, does Rush expect us to just do the secondary ourselves without notification? I know its online but they haven't sent anything to me regarding it so I'm not sure if I can submit it or not?

Yes, you can just fill out and submit the Rush app at any time. I did just get an email from them yesterday after I'd already submitted mine. Here's what it said:

Thank you for submitting your recent AMCAS application. We are very excited about this coming year and wish you all the best during the application process.

Last year, Rush Medical College received 3300 completed applications and interviewed 390 applicants to select our 128 matriculating students. We predict the entering class will have an average Science GPA of 3.54 on a 4.0 scale and over 10 in each section of the MCAT, verbal reasoning, physical sciences and biological sciences. In addition, the matriculating class has significant health care employment, volunteer and community service experience.

At this time, if you have not already begun the Supplemental Application, we invite you to complete our supplemental application which may be found at http://rush.infostatz.com Infostatz will provide you with detailed instructions regarding the supplemental application and all supporting documentation required for your application to be considered complete. Prior to beginning, feel free to click on "Review a Sample Application" to preview our application. Be sure also to review the instructions and important dates by clicking on the "Application Process" selection. Please note, you will not need to finish all of the forms in one session; you will have 30 days from the date you begin your on-line application to complete and submit your materials.

We look forward to receiving your completed application and working with you throughout this process. Please direct any questions you may have to [email protected].

Thanks a lot phoenix1! Good luck with your apps :)

Baylor - online
Brown - e-mail
Columbia - email invite
Creighton
Dartmouth - online
Drexel - no essays, just EC questions
Duke
ETSU-Quillen
FSU - email invitation
GW - email invitation
Harvard - e-mail invite
Indiana - Snail mail
Johns Hopkins - online
Marshall
Meharry - online
Mt. Sinai - email
MUSC - E-mail invite
Northwestern
NYU and also NYU
OHSU - e-mail invite
Penn State - email
Pitt - e-mail invite
Rosalind Franklin
Rush and here
SLU - e-mail invite
Stony Brook
Temple
Tufts
Tulane - online
U at Buffalo - no essays
UCincinnati
UColorado
UConn - online
UC Irvine
UF- email
UIC - e-mail invite
UIowa
UMaryland
UMiami - e-mail invite
UMC - e-mail invite
UNC- e-mail invite
UOk - e-mail invite
USC (Keck) - e-mail
USD - e-mail invite
USF - e-mail invite
USUHS - e-mail invite
UToledo/MUO
UVA
UWisc - e-mail Invite
Vanderbilt
VCU
WashU - email invite
Wayne State - snail mail
Wright State - no essays
Yale - online; prompt

1a. Have you applied to any medical school in the past? Yes No

1b.Have you applied to the Keck School of Medicine in the past? If yes, please describe your activities since you last applied Yes No
Please limit response to no more than 250 words

3. Briefly describe any unique qualities and abilities you possess which would contribute to:
- (A) the educational environment
- (B) the diversity of the entering class

4. Please provide a summary of your most relevant leadership experiences.

5. Briefly describe your most relevant extra-curricular activites (volunteer, research,serving disadvantaged or underserved populations, etc...) related to your interest in medicine.

6. Are you planning on taking the August 2007 MCAT Yes No

7. Completed Course Summary
Course Requirement
General Biology + Lab 2 semesters/ 3 quarters
General Chemistry + Lab 2 semesters/ 3 quarters
Organic Chemistry + Lab 1 semester/ 2 quarters
Physics + Lab 2 semesters/ 3 quarters
Biochemistry 1 semester/ 1 quarter
Molecular Biology
(may include: molecular genetics, cell and molecular biology, advanced cell biology or the equivalent) 1 semester/1 quarter
Social Sciences, Humanities, and English Composition 30 semester hours/units
This is missing question 2 -

2. Please briefly explain your interest in the Keck School of Medicine.

I have edited the main list to reflect this.

This is missing question 2 -

2. Please briefly explain your interest in the Keck School of Medicine.

I have edited the main list to reflect this.

Oh, I could've fixed it. One sec. :p Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Baylor - online
Brown - e-mail
Columbia - email invite
Creighton
Dartmouth - online
Duke
ETSU-Quillen
FSU - email invitation
GW - email invitation
Harvard - e-mail invite
Indiana - Snail mail
Johns Hopkins - online
Marshall
Meharry - online
Mt. Sinai - email
MUSC - E-mail invite
Northwestern
NYU and also NYU
OHSU - e-mail invite
Penn State - email
Pitt - e-mail invite
Rosalind Franklin
Rush and here
SLU - e-mail invite
Stony Brook
Temple
Tufts
Tulane - online
U at Buffalo - no essays
UC Davis
UCincinnati
UColorado
UConn - online
UC Irvine
UF- email
UIC - e-mail invite
UIowa
UMaryland
UMiami - e-mail invite
UMC - e-mail invite
UNC- e-mail invite
UOk - e-mail invite
USC (Keck) - e-mail
USD - e-mail invite
USF - e-mail invite
USUHS - e-mail invite
UToledo/MUO
UVA
UWisc - e-mail Invite
Vanderbilt
VCU
WashU - email invite
Wayne State - snail mail
Wright State - no essays
Yale - online; prompt

Baylor - online
Brown - e-mail
Columbia - email invite
Creighton
Dartmouth - online
Duke
ETSU-Quillen
FSU - email invitation
GW - email invitation
Harvard - e-mail invite
Indiana - Snail mail
Johns Hopkins - online
Marshall
Meharry - online
Mt. Sinai - email
MUSC - E-mail invite
Northwestern
NYU and also NYU
OHSU - e-mail invite
Penn State - email
Pitt - e-mail invite
Rosalind Franklin
Rush and here
SLU - e-mail invite
Stony Brook
Temple
Tufts
Tulane - online
U at Buffalo - no essays
UCincinnati
UColorado
UConn - online
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UF- email
UIC - e-mail invite
UIowa
UMaryland
UMiami - e-mail invite
UMC - e-mail invite
UNC- e-mail invite
UOk - e-mail invite
USC (Keck) - e-mail
USD - e-mail invite
USF - e-mail invite
USUHS - e-mail invite
UToledo/MUO
UVA
UWisc - e-mail Invite
Vanderbilt
VCU
WashU - email invite
Wayne State - snail mail
Wright State - no essays
Yale - online; prompt

Baylor - online
Brown - e-mail
Columbia - email invite
Creighton
Dartmouth - online
Duke
ETSU-Quillen
FSU - email invitation
GW - email invitation
Harvard - e-mail invite
Indiana - Snail mail
Johns Hopkins - online
Marshall
Meharry - online
Mt. Sinai - email
MUSC - E-mail invite
Northwestern
NYU and also NYU
OHSU - e-mail invite
Penn State - email
Pitt - e-mail invite
Rosalind Franklin
Rush and here
SLU - e-mail invite
Stony Brook
Temple
Tufts
Tulane - online
U at Buffalo - no essays
UC Davis
UCincinnati
UColorado
UConn - online
UC Irvine
UF- email
UIC - e-mail invite
UIowa
UMaryland
UMiami - e-mail invite
UMC - e-mail invite
UNC- e-mail invite
UOk - e-mail invite
USC (Keck) - e-mail
USD - e-mail invite
USF - e-mail invite
USUHS - e-mail invite
UToledo/MUO
UVA
UWisc - e-mail Invite
Vanderbilt
VCU
WashU - email invite
Wayne State - snail mail
Wright State - no essays
Yale - online; prompt

LoL. Silver, I got your update too. :p It was just an edit away. O well. :) Hopefully the list is super-updated now.

Baylor - online
Brown - e-mail
Columbia - email invite
Creighton
Dartmouth - online
Duke
ETSU-Quillen
FSU - email invitation
GW - email invitation
Harvard - e-mail invite
Indiana - Snail mail
Johns Hopkins - online
Marshall
Meharry - online
Mt. Sinai - email
MUSC - E-mail invite
Northwestern
NYU and also NYU
OHSU - e-mail invite
Penn State - email
Pitt - e-mail invite
Rosalind Franklin
Rush and here
SLU - e-mail invite
Stony Brook
SUNY Upstate- e-mail invite, no essays
Temple
Tufts
Tulane - online
U at Buffalo - no essays
UC Davis
UCincinnati
UColorado
UConn - online
UC Irvine
UF- email
UIC - e-mail invite
UIowa
UMaryland
UMiami - e-mail invite
UMC - e-mail invite
UNC- e-mail invite
UOk - e-mail invite
USC (Keck) - e-mail
USD - e-mail invite
USF - e-mail invite
USUHS - e-mail invite
UToledo/MUO
UVA
U Vermont - e-mail invite, no essays
UWisc - e-mail Invite
Vanderbilt
VCU
WashU - email invite
Wayne State - snail mail
Wright State - no essays
Yale - online; prompt

anyone OOS hear from unc yet?

No and it's driving me insane! It's the only school I have yet to hear from and I'm one secondary away from being done with the one's I currently have...

Hi All,

Does anyone has a template of the Signature Page for the State University of New York, Upstate?

I completed my supplemental application, but I failed to print out the signature page. Now I cannot go back to the Signature Page as I already completed the supplemental application. I would like to find the template so that I can type it up and send it to the school.

Any help is appreciated.
Thank you!

Updated: I have solved the problem. Thanks!

I got an email from UNC for OOS MD-PhD secondary application. They invited me to continue the application process, but said "Our supplemental application materials for the Fall of 2008 are in development. As soon as the materials are ready, I will email you with information on how to complete your application to the UNC MD-PhD program." I'm not sure if this is the same situation for OOS MD applicants, but I thought it might be.

i thought stanford's sec. app was supposed to come out aug 15th?
anyone have word on this?

I got an email from UNC for OOS MD-PhD secondary application. They invited me to continue the application process, but said "Our supplemental application materials for the Fall of 2008 are in development. As soon as the materials are ready, I will email you with information on how to complete your application to the UNC MD-PhD program." I'm not sure if this is the same situation for OOS MD applicants, but I thought it might be.

thanks! I didn't receive that email though as an md applicant oos.

Did anyone get Emory's secondary yet? I thought it was supposed to come out today.

Does any1 have questions for indiana university??

Baylor - online
Brown - e-mail
Columbia - email invite
Creighton
Dartmouth - online
Duke
ETSU-Quillen
FSU - email invitation
GW - email invitation
Harvard - e-mail invite
Indiana - Snail mail
Johns Hopkins - online
Marshall
Meharry - online
Mt. Sinai - email
MUSC - E-mail invite
Northwestern
NYU and also NYU
OHSU - e-mail invite
Penn State - email
Pitt - e-mail invite
Rosalind Franklin
Rush and here
SLU - e-mail invite
Stanford
Stony Brook
SUNY Upstate- e-mail invite, no essays
Temple
Tufts
Tulane - online
U at Buffalo - no essays
UC Davis
UCincinnati
UColorado
UConn - online
UC Irvine
UF- email
UIC - e-mail invite
UIowa
UMaryland
UMiami - e-mail invite
UMC - e-mail invite
UNC- e-mail invite
UOk - e-mail invite
USC (Keck) - e-mail
USD - e-mail invite
USF - e-mail invite
USUHS - e-mail invite
UToledo/MUO
UVA
U Vermont - e-mail invite, no essays
UWisc - e-mail Invite
Vanderbilt
VCU
WashU - email invite
Wayne State - snail mail
Wright State - no essays
Yale - online; prompt

In ur own words Explain ur motivation for seeking a career in medicine

i already wrote on this in AMCAS
what shall I write now?

email invite

Since no one posted the stanford essays:

The Committee on Admissions regards the diversity of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school.

The Committee on Admissions strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity, or life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.

Please limit your answer to 2,000 characters including spaces.

Why do you feel you are particularly suited for this practice scenario? What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this career path?

The Stanford School of Medicine curriculum integrates the scientific basis of medicine with clinical practice. A key element of this curriculum is a requirement for in-depth didactic and scholarly activities through participation in a scholarly concentration of your choice. Details of the curriculum and scholarly concentrations are available at http://med.stanford.edu/md/curriculum, which we ask you to review prior to answering the following essay question.

Please limit your answer to 1,000 characters including spaces.

How will the Stanford curriculum, and specifically the requirement for a scholarly concentration, help your personal career goals?

They also want your cirations for any submitted/published journal articles.

Since no one posted the stanford essays:

The Committee on Admissions regards the diversity of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school.

The Committee on Admissions strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity, or life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.

Please limit your answer to 2,000 characters including spaces.

Why do you feel you are particularly suited for this practice scenario? What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this career path?

The Stanford School of Medicine curriculum integrates the scientific basis of medicine with clinical practice. A key element of this curriculum is a requirement for in-depth didactic and scholarly activities through participation in a scholarly concentration of your choice. Details of the curriculum and scholarly concentrations are available at http://med.stanford.edu/md/curriculum, which we ask you to review prior to answering the following essay question.

How will the Stanford curriculum, and specifically the requirement for a scholarly concentration, help your personal career goals?