OFFICIAL 2009 Acceptance Thread

Algophiliac

Someday...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:soexcited: :highfive: :clap: :banana:

YAY! :D We're going to college!!! So where is everyone considering, now that most decisions have been released?

Members don't see this ad.

:mad:

Stupid Seniors...

lol would you mind starting the thread for us by tellin which ones you got accepted to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hahaha, CScull. No worries, senior year will go by so fast you won't have time to blink. :eek:

But jvanewportnews, I'm shy! :p Ok, ok...

University of Texas at Austin
A&M
Baylor University
UCLA

This one is so hard. Hot girls and beaches...or just hot? :laugh: Actually, the money says just hot. Where is that financial aid?

You shouldn't laugh at my pain like that, it hurts Algo, so much. :p

Scholarships? I s'pose those might be more difficult to get though, as you're out of state.

Baylor sounds familiar though... where is it located?

Just payback for beating me. ;)

I know. CA does not seem like the best location to practice medicine, either, but I have always considered moving either there or Vancouver someday. Obviously, the latter most likely won't ever happen.

In the Sahara Desert...uhh, I mean...Texas. :p

Hmph.

They have some good ski slopes in CA from what I hear... that's really the only reason I'd be interested in going to a school there, and I could get that in CO.

Did you apply to Vandy? I've heard they have an awesome Financial Aid program. I would consider apply there... if I had a 31... which apparently is their minimum ACT score now. Shesh.

Got into Pitt, marquette, university of Delaware, Loyola u of Chicago, university of Albany

Got half scholarship to marquette, 4k to Albany. Albany's cheaper, so I'm leaning towards there, although I am in love with Pitt

If I have regretted anything in this process, its not applying to more reach schools. Idk, I guess missing out on the excitement of "ivy day" is getting to me!

I didn't, although I have above average scores for Vandy. Unfortunately my extracurriculars are lacking, but it's too late to change anything now. As soon as I get to college, it's as many clubs as I can handle!

And then I'll consider joining some academic clubs when the alcohol wears off. ;)

Got into Pitt, marquette, university of Delaware, Loyola u of Chicago, university of Albany

Got half scholarship to marquette, 4k to Albany. Albany's cheaper, so I'm leaning towards there, although I am in love with Pitt

If I have regretted anything in this process, its not applying to more reach schools. Idk, I guess missing out on the excitement of "ivy day" is getting to me!

Congrats, Nantes!

I have a few friends going to Pitt, some smart enough to get the whole scholarship deal. :eek: Although I'm afraid money wins in this economy, if the cost difference isn't too bad, you should go someplace you'll love.

Oh my, well, my humility absolutely wouldn't allow it. :p That and the cost of applying. However, I do know what you mean. Just the sheer number of kids I know that got accepted to Ivy schools puts me to shame.

GPA: 4.0 Class rank 1/3680

ACT: 36

ECs:

Tennis champion world cup winner

Novel Prize candidate (Stem Cells research)

Medical Mission in South Africa and cured AIDs with love

Editor of Science, Nature magazine

Girls on Boat Inc CEO.

Interviewed Accepted:
Brown University - Full Scholarships
Columbia University - Full Scholarships
Cornell University - Full Scholarships
Dartmouth University - Full Scholarships
Harvard University - Full Scholarships
Princeton University - Full Scholarships
University of Pen- Full Scholarships
Yale University - Full scholarships
Cameron University

Attending

Cameron University

Haha, well when I laugh at incredibly drunk guys wearing their ties on their heads at football games I'll be thinking of you.

Tennis you make me laugh.

And Congrats Nancy!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted to:

Northeastern University
Emmanuel College
University of Massachusetts Amherst

I'll probably end up at Emmanuel due to money reasons, but I like the school so it's all good =)

Good job, congrats!

;)

:)

That was pretty funny tennis, so now I must ask, are you going to Cameron University?

Haha, well when I laugh at incredibly drunk guys wearing their ties on their heads at football games I'll be thinking of you.

:laugh: I'm honored.

LOL, Tennis. I really can't decide whether that applicant is brilliant or a total *****. :p And...cured AIDS with love?! :rofl:

Accepted to:

Northeastern University
Emmanuel College
University of Massachusetts Amherst

I'll probably end up at Emmanuel due to money reasons, but I like the school so it's all good =)

I have a lot of friends going to these two schools (one of them has a father who is the head of one of the departments at Northeastern, I just realized I can't name the department or you will know exactly who I am talking about, and could potentially go there for free but will probably go to Tufts or BU instead). Emmanuel College is very good, it is in Boston I believe? I seem to remember seeing it on a map when a saw a concert at the Orpheum :)!

You should be, Algo.

I wish I knew more of these schools so I could be happier for everyone. Darn my lack of collegiate knowledge...

You should be, Algo.

I wish I knew more of these schools so I could be happier for everyone. Darn my lack of collegiate knowledge...

Go to Borders, Barns & Noble, and/or Amazon.com and pick up the Fiske Guide to Colleges 2010 (I got the 2009 one last year and I assume there is a 2010 version). I used to flip through it whenever I had free time and really enjoyed reading about the diverse colleges it includes. I think you'll enjoy it and it will give you a better idea of where you might want to look :)

I have a lot of friends going to these two schools (one of them has a father who is the head of one of the departments at Northeastern, I just realized I can't name the department or you will know exactly who I am talking about, and could potentially go there for free but will probably go to Tufts or BU instead). Emmanuel College is very good, it is in Boston I believe? I seem to remember seeing it on a map when a saw a concert at the Orpheum :)!

Ughh the Orpheum?? It's horrible there =) the Fleet (it will forever be the Fleet to me) is so much better for concerts :D

I heard pre-med at BU is INSANE because they tend to weed out the kids who really aren't serious, and I heard academics at Tufts isn't a walk in the park either (my calculus teacher dropped out because it was so tough when she went there undergrad). However, they're both awesome schools. With BU, you get Boston right there, all the time which is great. Tufts is in Medford, which is a pretty quiet city, but it's very close to Boston. (I'm probably telling you stuff you already know though ;) )

Yup, Emmanuel is a small liberal arts school on The Fenway. It's like two minutes from Fenway Park, and down the street from Northeastern, so you still get those awesome areas of Boston at your fingertips (Huntington Ave, etc =) )

Oh, and if you could go to NU for free, I would suggest it. Campus is INCREDIBLE, they have the best co-op program in the country, and they have an early-admissions program with Tufts med school for pre-med. If it wasn't so damn expensive I'd probably go there too.

Go to Borders, Barns & Noble, and/or Amazon.com and pick up the Fiske Guide to Colleges 2010 (I got the 2009 one last year and I assume there is a 2010 version). I used to flip through it whenever I had free time and really enjoyed reading about the diverse colleges it includes. I think you'll enjoy it and it will give you a better idea of where you might want to look :)

I might just do that. Unfortunately I don't think my Mom will be too fond of Out of state tuition though so it'll be more like window shopping I bet...

Texas A&M!

Texas is not THAT hot either...here it is close to the water and you only have a few 100+days a year, I actually love those haha. (Especially in football season)

So Algo which Texas school are you going to? (Assuming you are since I agree resident tuition is great)

:laugh: I'm honored.

LOL, Tennis. I really can't decide whether that applicant is brilliant or a total *****. :p And...cured AIDS with love?! :rofl:

Moral of My Brilliant Story: We need love, passion, honesty, and dedication today in our society.

Going to Oregon State!
Pre-Engineering and Pre-Med!!
WOOT!

Going to Bates College in Lewsiton, Maine. Don't know what I'll major in but maybe Neuroscience?

GPA: 4.0 Class rank 1/3680

ACT: 36

ECs:

Tennis champion world cup winner

Novel Prize candidate (Stem Cells research)

Medical Mission in South Africa and cured AIDs with love

Editor of Science, Nature magazine

Girls on Boat Inc CEO.

Interviewed Accepted:
Brown University - Full Scholarships
Columbia University - Full Scholarships
Cornell University - Full Scholarships
Dartmouth University - Full Scholarships
Harvard University - Full Scholarships
Princeton University - Full Scholarships
University of Pen- Full Scholarships
Yale University - Full scholarships
Cameron University

Attending

Cameron University
ME TOO!!! but, like you, i eschewed all the grand offers and took Cameron.

i have a scholarship there, so i guess i'll take it.

I got into CSU Chico... only place I applied lol
not going though. I'm already at a community college for my senior year of high school and I decided to just stay there for 2 years and get a TAG with UC Davis

Rejected from the one combined allopathic program I applied to, but got into a 0-6 combined pharmacy.

Good luck to all. :thumbup:

Which university do you think I'll be attending, Algo? I had been thinking about applying to UT-Austin, but I'm not really ready to move out quite yet.

I was accepted into one of the local community colleges. Mad skillz.

Wait... i am confused. Are those true stats tennisball?

Ask Glowworm, she knows me very well. We grew up together in Oklahoma. We both got into Harvard and Standford with scholarships. But we are planning to attend the regional university.

The news paper has a link about us. I will post here when I find it.

Happy April Fool Day !

Ask Glowworm, she knows me very well. We grew up together in Oklahoma. We both got into Harvard and Standford with scholarships. But we are planning to attend the regional university.

The news paper has a link about us. I will post here when I find it.

Happy April Fool Day !

Well, StanDford is no Stanford...:p

A little private liberal arts college that no one has ever heard of anyway. It's out-of-state, which is always a good thing. Have full tuition scholarship, which is an even better thing!

Yay for everyone! I'm absolutely bouncing with excitement to go to college. I can't wait!

Will be attending St. John's in NY with $9k annual scholarship as an English major.
Accepted to UIC, U of I Urbana, Butler, & Purdue.

Moving from a tiny town in Illinois to NY! Yikes. =)

Am I the only here who actually enjoys high school for the most part :)? I mean...I'm sure college will be fun and all...but I'm basically happy where I am at now, after all, in a couple of short months I'll be closing one chapter of my life and opening another.

Am I the only here who actually enjoys high school for the most part :)? I mean...I'm sure college will be fun and all...but I'm basically happy where I am at now, after all, in a couple of short months I'll be closing one chapter of my life and opening another.

Yeah... I think you might be alone. But enjoy your happiness--I wish I could love high school, too. But mostly, it frustrates me.

I liked high school for the most part, actually... I just moved around waaaay too much, so I like the fact that I'll be able to chose where I want to go.

I did like high school, but now I just feel like I'm wasting time. I'm sick of being treated with the same rules that a 13 year old freshman abides by, and I'm sick of being stuck in one drab building for 6 hours a day. Other than that, high school is great :D....

There're times when I just want to fast forward to the end of May, but then there're times when I realize how it'll never be any easier than this, and I don't want life to move on quite yet. I've heard people mention the importance of not wishing your life away, and I find this to be valuable insight.

In relevance to the original topic, I'm going to a state school in the Midwest, majoring in Microbiology.

looking back, i really did have/am having fun in high school. and its pretty sad to think that my childhood is almost over *sentimental sniff* so i'm not really in a rush to get to college, just taking things as they come i guess.

but if i were in regular school i'd probably run away and never come back.

Which university do you think I'll be attending, Algo? I had been thinking about applying to UT-Austin, but I'm not really ready to move out quite yet.

I was accepted into one of the local community colleges. Mad skillz.

Awwww, it would have been nice to actually know someone out of ~50,000 people. :laugh: Were you thinking of transferring after a year or so?

And I suddenly LOVE high school! The reality just kind of came crashing down on me the day before yesterday--it's been 12 years!!! I definitely feel ready to move on, and it feels like this is one of the last chances I'll ever get to still be a relatively responsibility-free kid. :D

Will be attending St. John's in NY with $9k annual scholarship as an English major.
Accepted to UIC, U of I Urbana, Butler, & Purdue.

Moving from a tiny town in Illinois to NY! Yikes. =)

OMG......i am from NY..and let me tell you. TO pick U of I urbana is the best choice you can make. St.JOhns is really not that good...seriously if you want more info message me. Unless you got into the Pharm D program i would advice you to go to UofI Urbana, its one of the top public schools in the country.

Accepted to U South Florida, Florida State, U Florida, U Michigan, Boston U, and U Chicago!!

I got massive scholarship money from USF as well as acceptance to their 7 year med program, so that's where I'm heading this fall.

I am beyond excited. Only 13 more actual days of high school for me!!! :soexcited:

Accepted to U South Florida, Florida State, U Florida, U Michigan, Boston U, and U Chicago!!

I got massive scholarship money from USF as well as acceptance to their 7 year med program, so that's where I'm heading this fall.

I am beyond excited. Only 13 more actual days of high school for me!!! :soexcited:

I envy you. I have 37 Days left.

Will be attending the University of Iowa

Congrats!

Texas A&M!

Texas is not THAT hot either...here it is close to the water and you only have a few 100+days a year, I actually love those haha. (Especially in football season)

So Algo which Texas school are you going to? (Assuming you are since I agree resident tuition is great)

Ahhh, I'm actually so torn right now. I hear Cali isn't the best place to practice medicine, what with high malpractice insurance and cost of living during residency and all that, but it's one of those dream states for me. I'm guessing attending a Cali college will help truckloads when applying for their medical schools. And for some reason, I always see threads on SDN asking how to best get a residency in Cali, despite the aforementioned setbacks. What would you do in my position?

And TX is hot. :D Unfortunately I'm not near any sources of water--that sounds SO nice right now!

You're an Aggie for sure? :p