Official 2012 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amavir281

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw that there was a similar thread for 2011 that had plenty of useful info so I figured its best to start one for 2012. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

First of, Congrats to all who took the exam and take the time to come back and share your experiences. Thank you!

I have a few questions..

a.) I have a 2011 First Aid book and scheduled to take exam end of July. I have so much stuff annotated into it, and so would hate to switch to 2012. Do you think that's a bad move?

b.) For those who are doing pathoma with FA on your second/third pass..Are you watching the Videos or just reading the book?

Thank you! :)

1. Stick to your 2011 fa. I'm using 2010 fa. I bought 2012 and annotated missing information into my 2010 copy.

2. No videos. Just reading pathoma over and over.

I was originally planning on taking 3 NBMEs (school makes us take form 7) and having a week in between each until my test. I thought about maybe upping it to 4 NMBEs and putting about 5 days in between each one. Would this help or would I just be missing out on some good study hours?

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe wait to decide until you take your first NBME. If you score pretty close to your goal, 3 NBMEs will be more than fine. Even if you feel you have a lot of areas to improve after taking that first NBME, 3 NBMEs will still probably be fine. I would perhaps consider taking a 4th if you felt uncomfortable with time management on the previous NBMEs.

The NBMEs can be exhausting and you wouldn't want to burn out your test-taking focus before the big day!

How badly do slackers get f*cked by this exam?

On a scale of 1 to 10? Probably about 7. If you're an AMG that just finished two years of basic sciences, and you were an average student, even if you didn't study at all after that, you'll most likely pass Step 1.

How badly do slackers get f*cked by this exam?

I'd say it depends on what you're aiming for. Like johndoe said, odds are against you failing the exam. If you're going for primary care or IM, and don't care where you get in, the exam doesn't really **** you all that hard. If your lifelong dream was ortho or derm, it's likely your ******* will be sore for years to come.

1. Stick to your 2011 fa. I'm using 2010 fa. I bought 2012 and annotated missing information into my 2010 copy.

Agree with #1.

Disagree with #2, if he's implying don't watch the videos at all and only read the Pathoma book. The value of Pathoma is the videos. You should watch the videos as you annotate his book. The Pathoma book by itself is not that great and is a much worse, watered-down version of FA. It still has some explanation that FA doesn't have, but if you are just using books and no videos, stick with FA. Ideally, once you have annotated Pathoma while watching the videos, then you only want to review the annotated Pathoma book and not rewatch the videos. If that's what RedSox meant, then my bad!

Agree with #1.

Disagree with #2, if he's implying don't watch the videos at all and only read the Pathoma book. The value of Pathoma is the videos. You should watch the videos as you annotate his book. The Pathoma book by itself is not that great and is a much worse, watered-down version of FA. It still has some explanation that FA doesn't have, but if you are just using books and no videos, stick with FA. Ideally, once you have annotated Pathoma while watching the videos, then you only want to review the annotated Pathoma book and not rewatch the videos. If that's what RedSox meant, then my bad!

I meant that I already watched the lectures and annotated pathoma extensively. Took me around 50 hours to watch 36hrs worth of lectures. So now I am just reading pathoma along with fa.

Got scores today, 259/89! Very happy. Let me know if u have any questions, but i think my initial post is still applies. Interestingly uwsa 1 predicted exactly (right before the real thing.) good luck everyone! Back to the OR ;)

C-Man! That is F*ing amazing!! You deserve it :thumbup:

Great..Thank you guys! Will stick to my 2011 and finish up watching the Pathoma Vids for my first pass..Good luck!!

So I haven't used this site awhile as I tried to push through med school. Anyway, our school had us take a practice test on April 20ish and I got a 160. Pretty ****. I've done DIT and half of UWorld (avg 52%) since then...yet I just took NBME Form 7 an hour ago and only got the equivalent of a 170. It's unbelievably depressing.

My test is on June 12 due to school policies and our 3rd year starting July 2. I occasionally wonder if I'm cut out for this, but that's a different issue. I just wanted some advice - if any of you guys were in my position, what would you do? I have Pathoma, UWorld qbank, and my First Aid. I'm gonna just go H.A.M. starting tomorrow, take another practice in 10 days and hope I'm in range. Any advice? This is not ideal, I've never had any issue with standardized tests but this is killing me.

Members don't see this ad :)

Were there a lot of HY info to annotate from the 2012 edition to the 2010 edition? Would UWorld annotations make up for what's missing in 2010?

3 1/2 weeks is enough time to bring that score up man. drill the crap out of pathoma and read FA like a sinful monk who was trying to win back the grace of God would read the Bible (which of course is unnecessary --- for you religious folk out there ---- but that's besides the point). You get the drift. Continue to do Q's and learn from them. Figure out why you're getting the questions wrong.

This is a test that is a reflection of your effort. If you put the time in, you're bound to pass.

So I haven't used this site awhile as I tried to push through med school. Anyway, our school had us take a practice test on April 20ish and I got a 160. Pretty ****. I've done DIT and half of UWorld (avg 52%) since then...yet I just took NBME Form 7 an hour ago and only got the equivalent of a 170. It's unbelievably depressing.

My test is on June 12 due to school policies and our 3rd year starting July 2. I occasionally wonder if I'm cut out for this, but that's a different issue. I just wanted some advice - if any of you guys were in my position, what would you do? I have Pathoma, UWorld qbank, and my First Aid. I'm gonna just go H.A.M. starting tomorrow, take another practice in 10 days and hope I'm in range. Any advice? This is not ideal, I've never had any issue with standardized tests but this is killing me.

Pathoma will be super helpful. He's great at integrating Path with Phys and giving you the "broad-viewpoint" that you need to reason through boards questions, while also filling in the gaps. He's also great at helping you understand pathology conceptually (i.e. why is it spike and dome?...why is tram-tracks?, etc.), which I've found has made remembering things much easier.

I'd probably start with just going through all the Pathoma videos (maybe 1.4 speed) in 3-4 days. Then pounding the crap out of First Aid, memorizing drugs/bugs/tables, and focusing in on your weak points.

You can do it!!!!

what to do?

scoring in the 250-260s on multiple assessments (nbme, uworld assessments). So thankfully, I'm consistent. Going to finish my 2nd dedicated run through FA and am finishing my first real Uworld run by the end of the week (1st run I basically just did questions on the phone while taking a dump or to put myself to sleep. never really went back and read the answers, took notes, etc. because I was too lazy -- my mistake.) Currently averaging 88% - so there's definitely things I'm still learning from world).

My most recent NBME 13 - 261.

i feel relatively weak at cell bio, genetics, pelvic anatomy mainly because I crammed a lot of this stuff during 1st year (i.e. starting w/ the pelvis - but who can blame me?) or the subjects weren't really taught well to begin with -- or at all.

By the end of the week I'll have about 5 days left until my exam. Any advice on what I should do?

Here's what I'm thinking:

Option 1:
1) Take NBME 12 - bc I'm rich on government money and I've already bought it.
2) Take 2 days to roll through any areas of the general systems I feel like I could use a quick refresher on - I'm currently highlighting/memorizng things I don't know as I work through my 2nd dedicated pass. But I guess I could use the extra refresher.
3) Last 3 days hit biochem, immuno, pharm, behavior; I mean hit it hard, till they hurt.
4) Doing all the questions I've missed - which should come up to about 40-50 q's a day or less just so I can keep my mind in question answering mode.

Option 2:
1) Throw in some cell bio crap and read up on some pelvic anatomy and cut from what I mentioned above.

Any advice from you geniuses that frequent the SDN waters like sharks would be great. Thanks in advance.

If you're scoring 261, there isn't much to raise your score besides hoping you get the right questions on exam day. Also...getting anything higher than that (anything higher than 250), isn't really helpful for your career in anyway...so I wouldn't stress. I'd work to maintain what knowledge you have- don't want to fall from the perch you've reached. NBME 12 is probably useless other than helping you see more Step 1-like questions. Pelvic anatomy is annoying. If you have nothing else to do, I'd say go for it. But to be honest, I doubt you'll get a lot of questions about this...and I'd say it's probably more important to integrate and maintain other concepts at this point rather than try to learn something completely new.

Appreciate it fellas.

Tomorrow morning I'm beginning a 3 week process of going in. Pathoma/UWorld/FA. Let's see what happens.

Any advice? This is not ideal, I've never had any issue with standardized tests but this is killing me.

yikes.....do this

make a list of your weakest --> strongest areas based on that NBME

then start working on pathoma/uworld
1st watch all of pathoma for a specific section (e.g. watch all of cardio) then do all of the cardio questions in uworld

rinse & repeat for the rest of the sections.

3 wks isn't alot of time, but its enough to get you into passing w/ hammering in path. Pathoma also does a preety good job on the pathophys so its a 2fer. If you still have time outside of pathoma/uworld, then start working on memorizing important things in FA (like someone mentioned before, the autonomics section is $$$)

Depending on where you're @ with the other areas, you are going to have to pick & choose what to learn (i.e., probably not HY to learn all of anatomy, but the brachial plexus lesions are $$)

edit* I should also mention that I took an NBME prior to my school's path final, & after studying for the path final (1 week w/ pathoma) i was able to go back & answer 20 questions I had gotten wrong......so yea, it does help a ton haha

If you're scoring 261, there isn't much to raise your score besides hoping you get the right questions on exam day. Also...getting anything higher than that (anything higher than 250), isn't really helpful for your career in anyway...so I wouldn't stress. I'd work to maintain what knowledge you have- don't want to fall from the perch you've reached. NBME 12 is probably useless other than helping you see more Step 1-like questions. Pelvic anatomy is annoying. If you have nothing else to do, I'd say go for it. But to be honest, I doubt you'll get a lot of questions about this...and I'd say it's probably more important to integrate and maintain other concepts at this point rather than try to learn something completely new.

that's what i'm thinking. knowing myself i'll probably get behind between now and the weekend so I'll just stick to the former plan and maybe the night before flip through some red boxes in BRS anatomy and some imaging in an attempt to put myself to sleep and hope I get lucky in the morn.

i appreciate your response.

Got a 226. That's a very bad score on SDN, and yes I know this means I'm stuck doing internal medicine in the ghetto somewhere.
However, 226 is also unexpectedly low based on my own practice tests: 217 (NBME 7), 221 (NBME 13), 238 (UWSA 1), 247 (UWSA 2). I know the UWSAs overinflate, but I have never seen someone low-ball by 21 points.
I got about 7 hours of sleep, and feel fine during the test. I took the recommended dose of Benadryl at about 9-9:30 the night before, as I had done before all of my practice tests. Maybe that's what did it, but it doesn't explain everything. Very disheartened about my future in medicine right now.

Got a 226. That's a very bad score on SDN, and yes I know this means I'm stuck doing internal medicine in the ghetto somewhere.
However, 226 is also unexpectedly low based on my own practice tests: 217 (NBME 7), 221 (NBME 13), 238 (UWSA 1), 247 (UWSA 2). I know the UWSAs overinflate, but I have never seen someone low-ball by 21 points.
I got about 7 hours of sleep, and feel fine during the test. I took the recommended dose of Benadryl at about 9-9:30 the night before, as I had done before all of my practice tests. Maybe that's what did it, but it doesn't explain everything. Very disheartened about my future in medicine right now.

Um ... A 226 is NOT gonna have you practicing medicine in the "ghetto." Actually a 226 is a good score. It's funny how SDN makes everyone believe that anything below a 250 is the worst score in the world. With a 226 you have a lot of options. It probably doesn't feel that way now because you're disappointed but as an objective observer your comments are hyperbolic.

Um ... A 226 is NOT gonna have you practicing medicine in the "ghetto." Actually a 226 is a good score. It's funny how SDN makes everyone believe that anything below a 250 is the worst score in the world. With a 226 you have a lot of options. It probably doesn't feel that way now because you're disappointed but as an objective observer your comments are hyperbolic.

also the score is pretty spot on with the NBME's. UWorld overestimates your score by roughly 15-20 points so it was pretty accurate.

also the score is pretty spot on with the NBME's. UWorld overestimates your score by roughly 15-20 points so it was pretty accurate.

If you look back in this thread, you'll also see quite a few people where the NBME's underpredicted, and UWSA's were more accurate. I think it has to do with the 'easy question' vs 'hard question' type of thing. But regardless, a 226 isn't the end of the world. If medicine was what you wanted to do, with decent grades/LoRs/etc. you'd easily match into a mid-tier medicine residency. And there's always step 2.

Yeah, I wouldn't really generalize that UWSAs have a 15-20 point overprediction built in. My UWSA scores are pretty in line with my NBMEs and CBSSAs. Many people have reported UWorld self assessments being spot on when taken right before the actual STEP 1. It's hit or miss. Sometimes you get unlucky and the STEP tests you on your weak areas. Sometimes they only test on your strengths.

If you look back in this thread, you'll also see quite a few people where the NBME's underpredicted, and UWSA's were more accurate. I think it has to do with the 'easy question' vs 'hard question' type of thing. But regardless, a 226 isn't the end of the world. If medicine was what you wanted to do, with decent grades/LoRs/etc. you'd easily match into a mid-tier medicine residency. And there's always step 2.

Dude. A 226 is a great score. I don't really understand this board, but I know plenty of people who have matched into amazing residency programs with scores much lower than that. Contrary to popular belief, top residency programs actually value research experience much more than board scores. There are cut-offs in most specialties (save a few)....and for certain specialties (i.e. medicine, peds, etc.), a 226 is more than enough to match just about anywhere. Just do well 3rd year, do some aways, network, and you'll be just as good as anyone else in your class with higher scores.

Dude. A 226 is a great score. I don't really understand this board, but I know plenty of people who have matched into amazing residency programs with scores much lower than that. Contrary to popular belief, top residency programs actually value research experience much more than board scores. There are cut-offs in most specialties (save a few)....and for certain specialties (i.e. medicine, peds, etc.), a 226 is more than enough to match just about anywhere. Just do well 3rd year, do some aways, network, and you'll be just as good as anyone else in your class with higher scores.

It also helps a lot if the person who scored a 226 is a Stanford grad

You repeatedly fail to understand that a 226 for me and probably 2324tigers is NOT THE SAME as a 226 for yourself. If he was coming from Harvard or Hopkins, then yes, I'd agree with you.

I agree that a 226 is not the end of the world, but it isn't helping 2324tigers or anyone else around here to say that it is a "great score". It simply isn't. It's a slightly above average score. And if you're from an average-low tier school, and you get a 226 on Step 1, unless you recently cured cancer, you are NOT going to match into the #1 program in plastics. You just won't.

It's just frustrating to metaphorically drive the length of the field, but miss the game-winning 20-yard field goal. Nobody to blame but myself. There aren't many people who averaged in the 70s for the last 10 timed/random UWorld blocks who ended up with <230, so it's something I'll investigate thoroughly before I start prep for Step 2. A much better Step 2 score can't undo the damage completely, but it may reopen a few doors.

It also helps a lot if the person who scored a 226 is a Stanford grad

I think pedigree helps to an extent. But, for instance, I've talked to numerous peds faculty at Stanford (a relatively highly regarded program) who review residency applications. Normal response is "I almost never even look at board scores. They usually fall in between 220 and 240 and I couldn't care less where they stood."

In other words, the OP scored at around the 50% percentile of some of the smartest people in the world. Board scores are only one element of application and I think a 226 is good enough for most things. Yes, it might be hard to match into derm/plastics/neurosurgery, but I don't think the OP was necessarily gunning from those anyway.....

It's just frustrating to metaphorically drive the length of the field, but miss the game-winning 20-yard field goal. Nobody to blame but myself. There aren't many people who averaged in the 70s for the last 10 timed/random UWorld blocks who ended up with <230, so it's something I'll investigate thoroughly before I start prep for Step 2. A much better Step 2 score can't undo the damage completely, but it may reopen a few doors.

I'm taking my exam tomorrow, and I've pretty much forgotten EVERYTHING (I open FA and I don't remember a lot of it). It's okay, I'll be joining your boat in a few months when they release my score. Even if we go to the ghettos, we can work there together :laugh:

I think pedigree helps to an extent. But, for instance, I've talked to numerous peds faculty at Stanford (a relatively highly regarded program) who review residency applications. Normal response is "I almost never even look at board scores. They usually fall in between 220 and 240 and I couldn't care less where they stood."

In other words, the OP scored at around the 50% percentile of some of the smartest people in the world. Board scores are only one element of application and I think a 226 is good enough for most things. Yes, it might be hard to match into derm/plastics/neurosurgery, but I don't think the OP was necessarily gunning from those anyway.....

:thumbup:...and if the OP was gunning for those specialties, I think there's still a shot, I know of at least one person who matched into a very competitive specialty with less than a 226

Yeah, I wouldn't really generalize that UWSAs have a 15-20 point overprediction built in. My UWSA scores are pretty in line with my NBMEs and CBSSAs. Many people have reported UWorld self assessments being spot on when taken right before the actual STEP 1. It's hit or miss. Sometimes you get unlucky and the STEP tests you on your weak areas. Sometimes they only test on your strengths.

And this is exactly why board scores shouldn't matter as much to residency programs as they do. (Well that and the fact that they tell you very little about what kind of doctor a person will be.)

:thumbup:...and if the OP was gunning for those specialties, I think there's still a shot, I know of at least one person who matched into a very competitive specialty with less than a 226

http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomes2011.pdf

There are plenty of people who get into competitive specialities with board scores at or below average. 1/6th of US seniors who matched in derm had a 230 or lower. Almost 1/3rd of US seniors who matched in neurosurgery had a 230 or lower. The list continues. You may not be in the location of your dreams, but you can still match in your specialty. You might say those people who matched in neurosurgery with a 205 are probably the child of the program director or had some crazy research... and while you may not be able to become the child of a program director (unless you can find one to adopt you on short notice...), you can still do research, crush third year/step II, get good letters, etc, so there are clearly other routes to getting where you want to be. Although of course, having the high step I score prevents some doors from closing/greases the wheels in a lot of ways.

And this is exactly why board scores shouldn't matter as much to residency programs as they do. (Well that and the fact that they tell you very little about what kind of doctor a person will be.)

At least Step 1 is more objective than 3rd year grades.

"Specially for MBBS Doctors", Saudi Licensing Exam, MOH exam for U.A.E, Qatar, Kuwait, Oman, Bahrain., etc. Question bank very helpful for Prometric exams (Licensing exams to work as a medical practitioners in Gulf) available with me for just Rs.3000/- Approx. 225/- Saudi Riyal /UAE Dhirams (Courier charges extra if book needs to be sent outside Hyderabad). This book contains multiple choice questions with right answers marked, indeed very useful to get through prometric and other written exams conducted by various hospitals & helpful for appearing in written exams conducted by delegates of various Gulf hospitals, conducted in india. Serious buyers may contact me on phone +91 9542812205 (Hyderabad-India)

Wut

FWIW, I think the skewed SDN average is making you overreact. If historical data holds true, you'll be right at or above the median for our class (and you're above the median for the whole exam). With good clerkship letters there are very few doors that won't be open to you.

Talk to some of the folks in our class and get some perspective -- SDN has such a skewed data set it's not even funny.

What specialties were you interested in specifically?

You repeatedly fail to understand that a 226 for me and probably 2324tigers is NOT THE SAME as a 226 for yourself. If he was coming from Harvard or Hopkins, then yes, I'd agree with you.

I agree that a 226 is not the end of the world, but it isn't helping 2324tigers or anyone else around here to say that it is a "great score". It simply isn't. It's a slightly above average score. And if you're from an average-low tier school, and you get a 226 on Step 1, unless you recently cured cancer, you are NOT going to match into the #1 program in plastics. You just won't.

When you and so many others start applying to residencies, and realize how important "who you know" and "how you interview" is, there are going to be countless confused SDNers.

And plastics at harvard is a bit of an extreme example dont you think? With an average step 1 score (226 works), you can be pretty much any type of doctor than you want. Are you going to be doing your residency in Washington DC, New York City, LA? No, probably not. You're going to be in minnesota, nebraska, missouri... etc. But if you're willing to sacrifice on location and prestige, you can do whatever the hell you want. SDN needs to get an effing grip.

My dad is an interventional radiogist and his group runs one of the better residency programs in the country (everyone has passed their boards in the last 15 years), located in a pretty decent east coast city. They just matched a 220 DO............ One of my buddies matched ortho with a 213...... There are countless examples out there.

This thread is about test taking experiences and scores. Its getting really annoying have to sift through all these other tangets to find the information that I and other people are looking for - the test itself.
Could we please take the match vs score discussions somewhere else...this is like the 2nd time a huge tangent has arisen on this subject.......

This thread is about test taking experiences and scores. Its getting really annoying have to sift through all these other tangets to find the information that I and other people are looking for - the test itself.
Could we please take the match vs score discussions somewhere else...this is like the 2nd time a huge tangent has arisen on this subject.......

Everyone is very sorry about the inconvenience.

this is funny...I hope you don't really think every thread including this will strictly adhere to the intended topic without deviation...it's not like there's a live discussion/forum moderator to keep every comment on point...its jus one of those things u deal with but hope to self-correct, which it normally does....

TiS8G.gif

Well shoot! I just typed out a nice, long reply and it disappeared as I was trying to post it :(. Ok, I'm at a US allopathic school and took the exam 5/4. I'm hoping to get my score tomorrow (my permit disappeared yesterday on the scheduling website, so maybe that is a sign). I took a little more time to study than most as I went to a couple of conferences during my study time, which I wouldn't recommend fwiw.

Uworld 1- 256 (3 weeks out)
Uworld 2- 265+ (2 weeks out)
NBME 12- 261 (1.5 weeks out)
NBME 11- 259 (1 week out)

I feel like my scores are pretty consistent, so hopefully I will be in the 250 and above range on the real thing.

Sources:

FA (4.5x)
Uworld- 2x
USMLERx-70%
RR Biochemistry-2x
RR Pathology
Goljan audio
Micro Made Ridiculously Simple
USMLE Step 1 Made Ridiculously Simple
High Yield Neuroanatomy-60%

I kind of disregarded the conventional wisdome of FA + Uworld = gold. I get bored studying in the same format for more than about an hour so switching between questions, audio, and review books was useful for me. Also, seeing the same concepts presented slighly differently was useful to me. I will post a review of the exam after I get my score. Good luck to all those that are also eagerly awaiting their scores!

Well shoot! I just typed out a nice, long reply and it disappeared as I was trying to post it :(. Ok, I'm at a US allopathic school and took the exam 5/4. I'm hoping to get my score tomorrow (my permit disappeared yesterday on the scheduling website, so maybe that is a sign). I took a little more time to study than most as I went to a couple of conferences during my study time, which I wouldn't recommend fwiw.

Uworld 1- 256 (3 weeks out)
Uworld 2- 265+ (2 weeks out)
NBME 12- 261 (1.5 weeks out)
NBME 11- 259 (1 week out)

I feel like my scores are pretty consistent, so hopefully I will be in the 250 and above range on the real thing.

Sources:

FA (4.5x)
Uworld- 2x
USMLERx-70%
RR Biochemistry-2x
RR Pathology
Goljan audio
Micro Made Ridiculously Simple
USMLE Step 1 Made Ridiculously Simple
High Yield Neuroanatomy-60%

I kind of disregarded the conventional wisdome of FA + Uworld = gold. I get bored studying in the same format for more than about an hour so switching between questions, audio, and review books was useful for me. Also, seeing the same concepts presented slighly differently was useful to me. I will post a review of the exam after I get my score. Good luck to all those that are also eagerly awaiting their scores!

I've been using HY Neuro a bit, is there a certain portion of the book you found to be overly detailed? Or did you just not want to finish it?

I think anything above the meanv(which i think is 222) is a good score.

I've been using HY Neuro a bit, is there a certain portion of the book you found to be overly detailed? Or did you just not want to finish it?

Honestly, I just got lazy :p. I didn't order the book until about 2 weeks prior to the exam, so I had limited time to read it, and I was really dragging by the end of my study time. I focused on the brain and spinal cord cross-sections because I felt pretty weak in those areas. I thought it was too detailed on some of the special senses and spinal cord pathways, but overall what I read was good. Consequently, I had less than 5 neuro questions on my entire exam. It was actually a bit of a let down after all that excess studying.