Official 2013 Anesthesiology Match Day Results!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dwindlin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck today everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Awwwww s***! Good luck! And congrats to the interns: you will soon know who your replacements are!

Can't imagine the feeling, good luck!!

Hope everybody matched at their #1. Can't believe it's only a year away from now for me.

Can't imagine the feeling, good luck!!

Hope everybody matched at their #1. Can't believe it's only a year away from now for me.
Same feelings here, wish I could skip forward a year.

Congratulations to everybody. Hopefully you got your #1, and if not, hopefully youre happy with your result!

Congrats to all who matched! For the benefit of those next in line for the process and not sure where we have a good shot, please include your scores (step 1,2, anesthesia grade, class rank, if away was done). Also include anything you think is important. :D

Congrats to all who matched! For the benefit of those next in line for the process and not sure where we have a good shot, please include your scores (step 1,2, anesthesia grade, class rank, if away was done). Also include anything you think is important. :D

Hahaha! You forgot mothers maiden name and your SSN. If you want to also add your ATM PIN number, that'd be cool...

Members don't see this ad :)
Surg Prelim - Baptist Health System, Birmingham, AL
Anesthesia (advanced) - University of Nebraska Affiliated Hospitals, Omaha, NE

my #1 :love:

I will be happy to PM details about my app

Also, since it's now public via my school, I will list the other anesthesia matches, 1 each, all categorical in:

Vanderbilt
U Wisconsin
Illinois Masonic

And now, time for a much-needed nap!

I am not actually a med school student--I just spend way too much time lurking on SDN. My husband is going to Iowa, which was our top choice. He's a DO, USMLE scores >250.

Is anyone else headed to Iowa City? I'm so excited!

Congratulations to everyone else today. Also, go hug your spouse/significant other. This is a crazy ride for us, too!

Rush (advanced) my #2
medicine prelim at Lutheran General (IL) my #2 also

Congrats everybody!

I am not actually a med school student--I just spend way too much time lurking on SDN. My husband is going to Iowa, which was our top choice. He's a DO, USMLE scores >250.

Is anyone else headed to Iowa City? I'm so excited!

Congratulations to everyone else today. Also, go hug your spouse/significant other. This is a crazy ride for us, too!

Congrats to you both (and thanks for posting some info)! Sounds like your husband is one hard worker so make sure to have some fun for now!

Not sure if this is the right place but:
Match results can be an indicator of career interests among U.S. medical school seniors. Among the notable
trends this year:
• 3,135 U.S. seniors matched to internal medicine, an increase of 194 over last year.
• 1,837 U.S. seniors matched to pediatrics, an increase of 105 overlast year.
• Family medicine matched 1,355 U.S. seniors, 33 more than last year. More than 95
percent of family medicine positions were filled.
• Emergency medicine programs offered 1,744 positions, 76 more than last year, and filled
all but three of them.
• Anesthesiology programs offered 1,653 positions, 177 more than last year, and filled all
but 62 of them.

• Specialties with at least 50 positions in The Match that filled at least 80 percent of
positions with U.S. seniors were dermatology, emergency medicine, medicine-pediatrics,
neurological surgery, orthopedic surgery, otolaryngology, radiation oncology, general
surgery, and plastic surgery.

Interestingly, the match rate for US-seniors in Anesthesia was 69.7% compared to ~78% for the past 3 years. I wonder if that has to do with the increased slots, decreased interest or increased competitiveness.

Hopkins. Congrats to everyone.

UMich. My #1.
Reserved program.
PM if you want info.

Completely thrilled with my match!!! Been celebrating with my family today! Pm if want info/feedback from season. This board was hugely helpful this year. Thankful for all the feedback and past threads too.

Congrats everyone!

Last edited:
Mount Sinai!!!! My number 1! SO HAPPY!

Temple. Not my first choice so admittedly I am a little bummed. At least I have a bunch of friends in Philly and it's a good locale for my hubby.

Temple. Not my first choice so admittedly I am a little bummed. At least I have a bunch of friends in Philly and it's a good locale for my hubby.

You should never be bummed about successfully matching. Although lots of the people here are reporting success matching into their number one spot, there are several candidates out there who did not match to their number one. So don't feel like you are in the minority just from reading SDN. Furthermore, there are people who did not match at all into anesthesia and are going to face a year of uncertainty and have another difficult go around next year when it comes to matching.

You should look at the match in the following manner:
Wherever you end up is where you were meant to be.

I matched into my #4 spot 6 years ago. I was ecstatic at the time. Didn't regret it at that time, and I don't regret it now. I embrace that I am a graduate of that institution.

Match results can be an indicator of career interests among U.S. medical school seniors. Among the notable
trends this year:
• 3,135 U.S. seniors matched to internal medicine, an increase of 194 over last year.
• 1,837 U.S. seniors matched to pediatrics, an increase of 105 overlast year.
• Family medicine matched 1,355 U.S. seniors, 33 more than last year. More than 95
percent of family medicine positions were filled.
• Emergency medicine programs offered 1,744 positions, 76 more than last year, and filled
all but three of them.
Anesthesiology programs offered 1,653 positions, 177 more than last year, and filled all
but 62 of them.
• Specialties with at least 50 positions in The Match that filled at least 80 percent of
positions with U.S. seniors were dermatology, emergency medicine, medicine-pediatrics,
neurological surgery, orthopedic surgery, otolaryngology, radiation oncology, general
surgery, and plastic surgery.

How did anesthesiology residencies get the ability to increase spots in the match by more than 10% nationwide in a single year? I was under the impression that getting approval to increase slots from the residency review committee was a big deal?

Because hospitals can fund the spots, not just the federal government. Residents are far cheaper than CRNAs, even if we are only 50% OR. We work more hours for the same base pay, and even despite SICU months, rotations at the VA and such, we actually make money for the hospital!