Official 2015-2016: Oh no, I don't have a single Interview Invite thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'd rather give up on medicine forever than move to North Dakota
Really? I've been there and it's beautiful. Also, tons of money + ludicrously low cost of living is a good combination!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah but it's the middle of nowhere. I'd rather be paying more to live somewhere a bit more happening and lively. It's just not for me

Members don't see this ad :)
@Cytonic1378 assuming that you are Asian, which is the worst case scenario, people with your stats get in 83% (!!!) of the time. And that number continues to increase for other races. So to not even get an interview with those stats suggests to me that there's some kind of red flag that you're not mentioning, or that something went catastrophically wrong with your applications (i.e. submitting them in November). You should have at least gotten an interview to your state school(s) at the bare minimum. What is your school list? What state are you from?

I am Asian, male, and from California. Lucky lucky lucky lucky me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I submitted July, secondaries by mid August. Maybe one of my LORs?

-Severe deficiencies in ECs (i.e. no volunteering with patients at all): Few hundred hours in both clinical and non-clinical volunteering
-Inordinately top heavy school list: Possibly, my school list will be like 10% reach schools this cycle LOL. I just want one school to love me.
-Personal statement/secondary issues: Unlikely... I mean it's not superb because I really don't have crazy experiences but everybody that I've showed says it showed why I wanted to pursue medicine.
-Some kind of LOR problem: Maybe here... long story. oh well
-Really unbalanced MCAT with one abominable subsection score: 12/10/11?

It hurts. real bad ¯\_(⊙︿⊙)_/¯

-Severe deficiencies in ECs (i.e. no volunteering with patients at all): Few hundred hours in both clinical and non-clinical volunteering
-Inordinately top heavy school list: Possibly, my school list will be like 10% reach schools this cycle LOL. I just want one school to love me.
-Personal statement/secondary issues: Unlikely... I mean it's not superb because I really don't have crazy experiences but everybody that I've showed says it showed why I wanted to pursue medicine.

Eh...something here just doesn't add up. I could maybe see getting a few interviews and not getting in just because you have the worst possible combination of demographics, but the fact that you didn't get a single interview truly boggles the mind. What's the deal with the LOR? Do you think that's a possibility?

10 in verbal is not abominable in the least. . .

Personal statement has to demonstrate both your desire to pursue medicine AND who you are.
Would you say you had issues talking about your background in a way that is interesting and memorable?

1. Probably this-Severe deficiencies in ECs (i.e. no volunteering with patients at all)
2. Also very likely this. Just HOW top heavy? -Inordinately top heavy school list
3. Hard to say w/o details -Some kind of LOR problem: Maybe here... long story. oh well
4. Probably not an issue -Really unbalanced MCAT with one abominable subsection score: 12/10/11?

If you get some patient hours for the next year and add more low tier schools you'll get interview invites. Your stats are too good not to at least receive interviews if you get some patient hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Probably this-Severe deficiencies in ECs (i.e. no volunteering with patients at all)
2. Also very likely this. Just HOW top heavy? -Inordinately top heavy school list
3. Hard to say w/o details -Some kind of LOR problem: Maybe here... long story. oh well
4. Probably not an issue -Really unbalanced MCAT with one abominable subsection score: 12/10/11?
He said he had couple hundred clinical and non clinical

He's not saying he has deficiencies in ECs, he was quoting me asking that. He said that he has a few hundred hours in clinical and non-clinical volunteering so that suggests that it isn't an issue.

If I had to really speculate wildly I would say that it has something to do with the personal statement because people aren't good judges of their writing ability.

Did you take the MCAT in the past and do really badly on it? That could be dragging your application down.

Reactions: 1 users
He's not saying he has deficiencies in ECs, he was quoting me asking that. He said that he has a few hundred hours in clinical and non-clinical volunteering so that suggests that it isn't an issue.

If I had to really speculate wildly I would say that it has something to do with the personal statement because people aren't good judges of their writing ability.

Did you take the MCAT in the past and do really badly on it? That could be dragging your application down.
I guess that's what I get for not looking back through the conversation. I need a nap. :(

Reactions: 1 user

You are basically me. Except I'm female and white. Although I did get 3II, just no acceptances :( I feel your pain dude.

I can tell you that your MCAT definitely isn't the issue. I have a very unbalanced MCAT (and a more abominable subsection score than you).

Your secondaries could have been an issue, maybe your PS, but if you're worried about and LORs, definitely dont send it this year.

When was your app complete? Definitely rework your school list...too top heavy is not ever good, even if you were applying 4.0/45!!

Sitcom idea: a group of hapless premeds who met on the internet all move to a tiny town in North Dakota in order to game the system and get into medical school

Reactions: 13 users
Gotta go ND to get that MD!
I'm thinking the title will be something like Bananafish94, ND (or whatever the main character's name is). Characters will include a quirky girl that the main character has romantic tension with, a flamboyantly gay guy, and a hardened cynic who got a 43 on the MCAT but got kicked out of school for something he didn't do.

Reactions: 6 users
Sitcom idea: a group of hapless premeds who met on the internet all move to a tiny town in North Dakota in order to game the system and get into medical school
Down.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'm thinking the title will be something like Bananafish94, ND (or whatever the main character's name is). Characters will include a quirky girl that the main character has romantic tension with, a flamboyantly gay guy, and a hardened cynic who got a 43 on the MCAT but got kicked out of school for something he didn't do.
Sounds pretty progressive. Let's insert a heterosexual minority male character (roommate of gay main character) who constantly tries to get with the ridiculously attractive girl but she only has the hots for his gay roommate. Feeling down in the dumps, friend while on walk, falls in love with an empowered Ronda Rousey like lumberjack. Little did they know that getting into medical school would become the least of their problems.

There was once a sitcom about medical school in Grenada. It had story-lines like this. I think it was (rightfully) called, Going to Extremes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Maybe if I don't get into medical school I'll try to make a name for myself in the sitcom industry.

You could have cameos from doctors on other famous medically oriented television shows. House, etc... It would drive people nuts if you could borrow actors from a variety of shows.

Reactions: 2 users

Ok here's the cast lineup.

We have an international student from London who was scared off by the junior doctor strike:

tumblr_inline_nqsgvaJ3Kk1rvnw2j_500.jpg

The character who thought she wanted to be a nurse but switched gears halfway through schooling to pursue medicine. She is initially attracted to the international student but ends up falling for the California resident:

Francia-Raisa-2014.jpg

The aforementioned California resident, who only applied to CA schools his first cycle because he didn't want to leave his beautiful home state:

latest

The gunner who messes with everyone's heads:

7c14d46a81a55ca370b05fd9e7c25302.jpg

The engineering major who has a lower GPA but thought the difficulty of his major would count for something:

85303.jpg

The upbeat non-trad, who despite having a tough life, has a sunny exterior and is there for everyone. She left a successful career to pursue medicine:

Mindy-Project-Mindy-Kaling.jpg

The gay pre-med who went to Reed for college and was hoping to never return to North Dakota, his home town, but is moving back because he was unable to establish residency in Oregon:

MV5BMjA2OTkzMTIxNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzYwODg5MDE@._V1_.jpg

The brilliant but jaded pre-med who was a stellar student with a 521 MCAT but has an IA because she was framed by her "friends":

keke-palmer-as-zayday-williams.jpg

Reactions: 29 users
Sidebar: I felt very old realizing that I didn't know many actors/actresses of a similar age and was googling things like "young actor" "young hollywood" "relevant tv shows 2016".

Beautiful...

If North Dakota requires that you work a year in the state to establish residency, they could all get a job at Walmart. And then it'll just become a pre-med version of Superstore. If you haven't watched the show, it's all on hulu and I highly recommend it.

Don't forget the undercover cop who has an epiphany after responding to a triple homicide (angry sadistic drug addicted doctor beat his crack-team of diagnosticians to death with his cane, got away with it because he is sleeping with the hospital's administrator) and decides to apply as a non-trad!!!

Incredible. The only addition I have is that Danny DeVito plays a premed who has a perfect GPA and MCAT, and who has gone on over 100 interviews over the past 40 years, but keeps failing them because he acts exactly like his character on Always Sunny.

Reactions: 9 users
a clip from "Going to Extremes"

Reactions: 7 users
a clip from "Going to Extremes"

Hahahha it actually exists! Thought y'all were joking

Kid's face at 2:00 is priceless. This is some really powerful stuff! Surprised they don't have this clip on repeat at healthcare career/school fairs

Hahahha it actually exists! Thought y'all were joking

Kid's face at 2:00 is priceless. This is some really powerful stuff! Surprised they don't have this clip on repeat at healthcare career/school fairs
I want to see that show for real lol! I saw Erika Alexander from Living Single in there too.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

How about a Sheldon-esque socially challenged character to play the 4.0/40 automaton @Goro is always referring to?

Got in a car accident going to a second look day...perhaps the universe is trying to tell me something. :(

Got in a car accident going to a second look day...perhaps the universe is trying to tell me something. :(

Wow. I'm sorry. Been following your posts...always rooting for you...my favorite banana person.

I got in a car accident on the way to the airport for my sister's wedding last November! Missed the flight door closing by 3 minutes after a random TSA pat down. So far they are still happily married

Fate is fickle

I got in a car accident on the way to the airport for my sister's wedding last November! Missed the flight door closing by 3 minutes after a random TSA pat down. So far they are still happily married

Fate is fickle
Speaking of missing flights, I nearly missed my flight to an interview (which is now my only acceptance). The dang airport was a maze and my flight was at the last gate two miles away, so I decided to take a shuttle, which ended up waiting for like ten flights to take off. Made it to the gate five minutes after the doors closed in freaking tears. I begged the people at the desk and they let me take the stairs to get on the flight. I was literally shaking for the entire duration of the flight cause the prospect of me losing a chance to interview was so scary.

I hate airports and flights.

Reactions: 3 users