COMLEX Official 2015 Comlex 2 CE Experiences and Scores Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ghorn11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets hear about study plans, best resources, and experiences for level 2.

Members don't see this ad.

Just thought I'd share another n=1 score:
UWORLD: 68%
COMQUEST: 73%
(Annotated First Aid while using both qbanks and re-read Savarese)
Level 2: 695

Anyone who took the exam recently like summer or past few months, how was it? Still vague and complicated than USMLE? What topics were hit heavy? Most say IM subspecialties, Peds, and OBGYN and OMM?

For material review, I'm using Step Up to Step 2, is that sufficient? I don't want to start another book when I've been using this source past few months...

Also, which COMSAE is most accurate or similar? Form D from the school? or Form A released Sept 2015?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my score. step 1 616 step 2 636. Only used uworld savarese and comquest for omm. No dedicated time. Comsae A 587 pretty similar to actual exam. Pretty vague exam. Definitely more timing issues for step 2. Usually had less than 5 minutes each block. Lots of first order and lots of long question stems. Omm was way more strange and vague than anything I'd ever seen. Usmle still a much harder exam.

Reactions: 1 user
Long time lurker, just wanted to share my recent experience.

Took level 2 CE in July and failed by 7 points. Signed up and retook in October...found out I passed this week with a 522.
During my 28-day study for my retake I read MTB 2 roughly 3x through, did UWORLD about 80% completed with a 59%, Comquest 80% finished with a 71%, and read USMLE secrets 2 the week before the exam. I also took comsae A my first week of studying, Comsae D second week of studying, comsae C 6 days out and comsae B 5 days out.

Comsae A 491
Comsae B 508
Comsae C 475
Comsae D 522

Reactions: 1 users
I passed but only by a small margin. The score gave me a scare but I am so relieved to be done. I was able to pass all of my boards on the first attempt.

I had wanted to postpone my test due to my inability to focus and study as I had a lot of stuff going on, but there were no available dates at the time. If I could redo this, I would have taken 2-4 weeks of dedicated study time BEFORE application season instead of trying to study during sub-internships while simultaneously working on application materials and preparing for Level2 PE. And I would have made sure to review my weaknesses. My performance was bipolar. Excellent or average in some subjects, poor in others.

So, I'd caution those of you with lower comsaes <475, to make sure you take dedicated study time and not take it until you are ready. I expected my Level 2 score to be the same as if not higher than my Level 1, but it was lower. I'm not sure if this is accurate for others , but for me my comsaes have been reasonable at estimating my Comlex score +/50 points.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I passed but only by a small margin. The score gave me a scare but I am so relieved to be done. I was able to pass all of my boards on the first attempt.

I had wanted to postpone my test due to my inability to focus and study as I had a lot of stuff going on, but there were no available dates at the time. If I could redo this, I would have taken 2-4 weeks of dedicated study time BEFORE application season instead of trying to study during sub-internships while simultaneously working on application materials and preparing for Level2 PE. And I would have made sure to review my weaknesses. My performance was bipolar. Excellent or average in some subjects, poor in others.

So, I'd caution those of you with lower comsaes <475, to make sure you take dedicated study time and not take it until you are ready. I expected my Level 2 score to be the same as if not higher than my Level 1, but it was lower. I'm not sure if this is accurate for others , but for me my comsaes have been reasonable at estimating my Comlex score +/50 points.

Comsae C (6-8 weeks out): 470
Comsae D (2 weeks out) 425
Actual Comlex: <450

What book did you use to study and what question bank?

Is Step Up to Step 2 or First Aid for Step 2 just as good as MTB?

Which COMSAE would you say was most similar to the actual exam?

The books aren't that helpful and really just complicate things. Uworld is all you need for studying. Comquest or combank for omm questions and savarese for studying. And I thought Comsae A was pretty similar.

Reactions: 2 users
Funny to give advice given my score -

I would stick with one book resource for a general overview or for targeted review of weak subjects and then tackle the qbanks. I really cannot comment on one book vs another. I used them (FA and MTB) during my rotations more for shelf preparation than anything else. I generally scored around average or higher on the shelf exams. So, for me, my problem was my lack of retention of information and lack of dedicated study time. I think any of the above resources will help you obtain a good score so long as you use them regularly and develop a strategy that works for you.

Form D was more accurate for me.

Sorry if this has been posted before, I haven't gone through all the posts. I did a search and didn't find the advice I was looking for.
I'm planning to apply to Osteopathic programs. I have scheduled my PE in March,when would be the best time to take the COMLEX ce?

You can take it over the summer unless you need some time off for a wedding, etc. Most people I know took it in June, July, or August. It's nice to take it when the things you've studied for shelves is still fresh in your memory.

Scores are up.

Level 1: 460
Level 2: 482

I have no idea how my score went up. I felt way worse about it walking out, and have been stressed just hoping I passed the last 2 weeks. I know it's not as good as all you SDN gunners, but I am so relieved to be done with this.

I used COMBANK/UWORLD to study. Averaged 55-60% on Uworld, around 65-70% on COMBANK. I used MTB a little here and there, but for the most part it was doing questions and reading explanations. I got most of the way through UWORLD and through COMBANK once. I honestly think that just those two resources are enough to get you through this. But I would urge any one reading to read through savarese once though. I didn't, because I thought the OMM for level 1 was a little easy, and my school has a required OMM rotation that I got a lot of experience with. But I found the OMM much harder on my test day than I anticipated. Congrats to everyone who passed, and good luck to everyone who has yet to take it.

Just curious, what specialty are you going into? Thanks for the sincere advice! I've just used Combank and DIT. I hope that's enough for this Thursday.