Official 2018-2019 Cardiology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AMST

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi future cardiologists.
Here it is. Good luck!! :xf::xf:

Members don't see this ad.

US IMG applying this year for the first time

243/257/Pass/239. All first attempts

About to be third year chief resident at a small community program with no in house fellowship.
PGY-2 ITE score 88% (98th percentile)
Expecting strong letters.

1 case report
1 book chapter
Second author on a restrospective study (not cardiology related)
Ninth author on a phase I trial (not cardiology related)

Applying to all programs except for those in California (178 programs).

Not expecting to match. Will see what i get. If i don’t match i’ll probably do locums or be a full time hospitalist and do some more research on my weeks off and apply again in 2020.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Chief resident at a small community program with no in house fellowship.

1 case report
1 book chapter

Not expecting to match. Will see what i get. If i don’t match i’ll probably do locums or be a full time hospitalist and do some more research on my weeks off and apply again in 2020.

If you apply to 178 programs with good scores, publications, and chief residency with good letters you will probably get reasonable number interviews. Your chances of matching might be higher than you think. Having published research helpful. Being at a community program definitely not a great starting point but that’s okay

Nobody cares about the ITE although

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm torn between chief residency or just applying this year. How much does chief residency really help?

Depends on your CV. But a lot of "lower tier" programs will guarantee an in-house fellowship spot to their Chiefs
Thanks for your reply. I'm at a community program with no in house fellowship. 254/250/230 Step scores, 3 Poster presentations, couple of case reports, 1 small retrospective study and currently working on another. Also, I'm on a J1 visa.

If you apply to 178 programs with good scores, publications, and chief residency with good letters you will probably get reasonable number interviews. Your chances of matching might be higher than you think. Having published research helpful. Being at a community program definitely not a great starting point but that’s okay

Nobody cares about the ITE although

Well, i’ll work with what I have at this point. Not too optimistic. A stronger ITE score would likely translate into a stronger LOR from the PD although the grade itself isn’t mentioned (I guess that is also program dependent). Also, match rate for cards is 98% for AMGs VS 50% for IMGs so the difference is there... Anyway, will see what i get. Highly appreciate the input.

Last edited:
Upper Mid Tier PGY 2, US AMG
Not a chief
Universally excellent evals, >99th on both ITE
260+/260+/240s on step 1,2,3
Three cards letters from well known faculty (two interventional, one EP PD), PD letter should "leave no hesitations"
5 abstracts/posters (ACC/TCT), 4 papers (two first author though one might not be submitted by application time, one second author, one in three middle), maybe one book chapter

Don't really want to stay at my home program, looking to head out to the Midwest (originally from there).

I think I'm a strong applicant, hoping to hear what caliber of program I should look for. Don't really care about training at the top (eg MGH, BWH, Mayo), not that interested in research, looking for busy program (COCATS 2 in most areas) with good advanced heart failure or EP training.

Reactions: 1 users
Not a chief
Three cards letters from well known faculty (two interventional, one EP PD), PD letter should "leave no hesitations"
5 abstracts/posters (ACC/TCT), 4 papers (two first author though one might not be submitted by application time, one second author, one in three middle), maybe one book chapter

Don't really want to stay at my home program, looking to head out to the Midwest (originally from there).

I think I'm a strong applicant, hoping to hear what caliber of program I should look for. Don't really care about training at the top (eg MGH, BWH, Mayo), not that interested in research, looking for busy program (COCATS 2 in most areas) with good advanced heart failure or EP training.

You have a very solid app, even coming from an "upper-mid tier" you should get some good interviews. I'd apply broadly (geographically and program caliber), maybe with a focus on a few extra midwest programs. You won't know how you'll like a program until you actual interview to be honest. I agree, if not interested in research but in broad clinical exposure, I wouldn't emphasize those places you mentioned, though many programs will still push research.

About to be third year chief resident at a small community program with no in house fellowship.

1 case report
1 book chapter

Is it really that hard to match for an IMG that has absolutely crushed it. Or is it because of community program?

Not a chief

Very good app. You’ll prob get calls from some “top” places. Understand though if you’re not really interested in research and looking for high clinical volume then those programs as you said will not serve you well necessarily. Would apply broadly and see what options you have. Some of the big clinical volume programs (Texas Heart, CCF, Cedars, etc) should be on your list.

Is it really that hard to match for an IMG that has absolutely crushed it. Or is it because of community program?

It’s a number of factors:
- IMG Status (~ 98% VS ~ 50% match rate for cards)
- No inhouse fellowship
- Small Program
- Not enough research going on
- Not enough residents applying so you can work with (you have to do everything A —> Z).

Etc...

Hello. Does anybody know how to enter information about non-acgme accredited fellowships on to ERAS application? Like HTN/imaging/heart failure? There is an option for only ACGME residencies and fellowships. I heard there was an option for non-acgme fellowships in last year's applications.

Members don't see this ad :)
Applying for Cardiology this year,
US IMG
from community hospital
Step 1 260+
Step 2 265+
Step 3 245+
no attempts
one publication- non cardiology
few posters
one abstract, non cardio
Not hopeful to get matched this year, willing to do non accredited fellowship for one year. But will this non accredited fellowship help or should I pursue more research??
Any input will be appreciated..
Thank you

Applying for Cardiology this year,
US IMG
from community hospital
Step 1 260+
Step 2 265+
Step 3 245+
no attempts
one publication- non cardiology
few posters
one abstract, non cardio
Not hopeful to get matched this year, willing to do non accredited fellowship for one year. But will this non accredited fellowship help or should I pursue more research??
Any input will be appreciated..
Thank you

How many programs do you plan to apply to?

Very good app. You’ll prob get calls from some “top” places. Understand though if you’re not really interested in research and looking for high clinical volume then those programs as you said will not serve you well necessarily. Would apply broadly and see what options you have. Some of the big clinical volume programs (Texas Heart, CCF, Cedars, etc) should be on your list.
You have a very solid app, even coming from an "upper-mid tier" you should get some good interviews. I'd apply broadly (geographically and program caliber), maybe with a focus on a few extra midwest programs. You won't know how you'll like a program until you actual interview to be honest. I agree, if not interested in research but in broad clinical exposure, I wouldn't emphasize those places you mentioned, though many programs will still push research.

great, thanks for the reassurance. I was thinking 30-35 programs across the country, mostly university level that have active transplant programs (since I want to do heart failure ATM). Do you think that's too little? My advisors seem to be under the impression that I'll be turning down interviews.

great, thanks for the reassurance. I was thinking 30-35 programs across the country, mostly university level that have active transplant programs (since I want to do heart failure ATM). Do you think that's too little? My advisors seem to be under the impression that I'll be turning down interviews.

Hard to say, interviews can be random. My gut would say 30-35 should be fine.

You have a strong application and 30 programs should be more than fine, esp if you tailor it to high clinical volume institutions in the region of your choice. For reference, your application puts mine to shame and I applied to << 30 programs and matched at a top institution in the Midwest. Good luck!

whats a good number of interviews to match?

There is no magic number. Depends on your application and what kind of program you are looking for. Most people interview at between 5-12 places.

Generally:
A 'strong' applicant will need less IVs than a 'good' applicant
An applicant interested in more clinically oriented programs will need less IVs than one interested solely in academic cardiology
An applicant from a top IM residency will need less IVs than an equal applicant from an upper mid-tier residency
An applicant couples matching will need way more IVs than usual (think >15-20 depending on their significant others' subspecialty)

Hi guys,

IMG applying for cardiology this year. I am planning to apply or califronia programs and my PTAL/license application is pending. Can I still apply to Califronia programs or they need the PTAL itself ? let me know . Thanks

You have a strong application and 30 programs should be more than fine, esp if you tailor it to high clinical volume institutions in the region of your choice. For reference, your application puts mine to shame and I applied to << 30 programs and matched at a top institution in the Midwest. Good luck!

There is no magic number. Depends on your application and what kind of program you are looking for. Most people interview at between 5-12 places.

Generally:
A 'strong' applicant will need less IVs than a 'good' applicant
An applicant interested in more clinically oriented programs will need less IVs than one interested solely in academic cardiology
An applicant from a top IM residency will need less IVs than an equal applicant from an upper mid-tier residency
An applicant couples matching will need way more IVs than usual (think >15-20 depending on their significant others' subspecialty)

Agree with this - I applied to about 50 programs out of paranoia. Had a good app, but not as good as that applicant. Ended up getting 25 or so interviews and turned down about 8 or so of them. So with 35 or so gen should be just fine. I know a “top” applicant from a well regarded IM residency who only applied to 10 programs - got 10 interviews and ended up at his top choice.

And yes, unfortunately some programs will default filter by residency program you go to, particularly the “top” academic and clinical ones (it’s not exactly a mystery why the vast majority of CCF’s fellows are from JHH, MGH, BWH, Duke, UCSF). That’s out of your control.

I will be a reapplicant. I applied last cycle and got 5 interviews (1 was courtesy and 1 was pulled) but did not match unfortunately. I thought my interviews went well for the most part.

I thought I had a decent CV with many posters and publications. My letters were good. Not sure what happened. Maybe the fact that I am a US-IMG with average USMLE scores at a mid-tier community program in the Midwest? Maybe last cycle was very competitive? I am not sure. My program does not have in house fellowships unfortunately. I do not have connections and applied to >100 programs last cycle.

The only additions to my app will be a chief year as well as a few poster presentations/abstracts at national meetings. Hoping that helps.

*Fingers crossed

Last edited:
Question: I've been spotting this on a few program sites, "all candidates must have completed an AOA-approved residency in internal medicine by the start of the fellowship program." Does this essentially mean the fellowship is a DO-only program and I shouldn't bother coming from an ACGME accredited training program? They're also listed as not part of NRMP this cycle. Initially I thought they were just going out-of-match.. *head-scratch*

I will be a reapplicant. I applied last cycle and got 5 interviews (1 was courtesy and 1 was pulled) but did not match unfortunately. I thought my interviews went well for the most part.

I thought I had a decent CV with many posters and publications. My letters were good. Not sure what happened. Maybe the fact that I am a US-IMG with average USMLE scores at a mid-tier community program in the Midwest? Maybe last cycle was very competitive? I am not sure. My program does not have in house fellowships unfortunately. I do not have connections and applied to >100 programs last cycle.

The only additions to my app will be a chief year as well as a few poster presentations/abstracts at national meetings. Hoping that helps.

*Fingers crossed
All the very best to you!!

Question: I've been spotting this on a few program sites, "all candidates must have completed an AOA-approved residency in internal medicine by the start of the fellowship program." Does this essentially mean the fellowship is a DO-only program and I shouldn't bother coming from an ACGME accredited training program? They're also listed as not part of NRMP this cycle. Initially I thought they were just going out-of-match.. *head-scratch*
I have the same question!
Someone on 2017-18 thread mentioned we could apply; however I am not sure if they give out of match positions ?

When should we apply July 1 or the 15th? If programs don't see our application till the 15th then what's the point of applying on the 1st?

Also if a publication will be published in July but after the 15th is it worth it to wait to include it and say published instead of in press?

July 15th is when programs download, so you have time till then.

Publication- I guess if being published in July, and you call it Published- they ask you issue, volume, pages :(
if the Editor of your publication can give you that, may be okay?
Congrats on your publication :)

When should we apply July 1 or the 15th? If programs don't see our application till the 15th then what's the point of applying on the 1st?

Also if a publication will be published in July but after the 15th is it worth it to wait to include it and say published instead of in press?

No, you should still apply on the 15th. If your manuscript is already accepted, you should listed it under 'publications' and specify that your manuscript is accepted and pending publication. Once the official citation is out, you can always let programs know the journal/volume/issue etc.

Interviewers even asked about my publications pending acceptance. They are looking for people who are passionate about [insert topic] and are committed to take a project to completion.

Guys. when are most intrviews scheduled. If I am not in USA from 28 july to 14 august do you think I will miss any interviews?

Hi everyone,
IMG, 246/220/228. Has CS attempt. 13 pubmed indexed papers. First author on 4 of them. 20 book chapters. All Cardiology. Third year chief at mid tier university program with in-house fellowship. Applying for a 100 program so far. What are the chances to get into high tier programs and what are programs that will be looking for such credentials?
Thank you

Hi Guys.

Good luck for everyone applying this year. Hope we all match this year in our preferred programs.

There are 2 options to apply for Mount Sinai/St Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center Program with 2 different program ID and program directors. Are they 2 separate programs? Can any one clarify this?

Program Director: - Jacqueline Tamis MD, MS, FACC, Accreditation ID: 1413514284

Program Director: Alan Rozanski MD, ,Accreditation ID: 1413521251

Thanks,

There are a few programs that seem to have DO fellows only. Any MDs applying to such programs??

Guys. when are most intrviews scheduled. If I am not in USA from 28 july to 14 august do you think I will miss any interviews?

Most interviews are scheduled between mid-late August to mid-late October with a few outliers in there. I doubt you'll miss any interviews between those dates but you should check your email often so that once IVs roll in, you can sign up for them and get the dates you want.

Hi everyone,
IMG, 246/220/228. Has CS attempt. 13 pubmed indexed papers. First author on 4 of them. 20 book chapters. All Cardiology. Third year chief at mid tier university program with in-house fellowship. Applying for a 100 program so far. What are the chances to get into high tier programs and what are programs that will be looking for such credentials?
Thank you

Congratulations on a lot of publications, which may open up a lot of doors for you at research-heavy institutions. Unfortunately, IMG status does not help (European IMGs tend to do slightly better) and your scores are mediocre. I think you'll get a fair number of IVs since you applied quite broadly; I wouldn't bet on landing at a top-10 program but you'll certainly match and will get a great cardiology training. GOod luck.

Most interviews are scheduled between mid-late August to mid-late October with a few outliers in there. I doubt you'll miss any interviews between those dates but you should check your email often so that once IVs roll in, you can sign up for them and get the dates you want.

Congratulations on a lot of publications, which may open up a lot of doors for you at research-heavy institutions. Unfortunately, IMG status does not help (European IMGs tend to do slightly better) and your scores are mediocre. I think you'll get a fair number of IVs since you applied quite broadly; I wouldn't bet on landing at a top-10 program but you'll certainly match and will get a great cardiology training. GOod luck.

Thank you so much for your kind reply

Good luck, all.

Applying from top tier program, 260s/250s/2?? (can't remember)
Good letters from people who know people (allegedly) and will make calls
Currently working on a big Cards project that I can talk about, 1 Cards review paper in good sub-specialty journal, 4-5 scattered non-Cards poster/presentation, etc
I interview well

I'll fit best at a high volume, tertiary care center that emphasizes teaching, preferably Midwest, but Mid-Atlantic works too. Not currently training in the area, so my Cards faculty had trouble giving me names other than the obvious CCF, Mayo, and Michigan. Where else should I be applying? Who has a reputation for producing the strongest clinicians in that region?

Good luck, all.

Applying from top tier program, 260s/250s/2?? (can't remember)
Good letters from people who know people (allegedly) and will make calls
Currently working on a big Cards project that I can talk about, 1 Cards review paper in good sub-specialty journal, 4-5 scattered non-Cards poster/presentation, etc
I interview well

I'll fit best at a high volume, tertiary care center that emphasizes teaching, preferably Midwest, but Mid-Atlantic works too. Not currently training in the area, so my Cards faculty had trouble giving me names other than the obvious CCF, Mayo, and Michigan. Where else should I be applying? Who has a reputation for producing the strongest clinicians in that region?

There's also UPMC, Washu, chicago programs, henry ford could garner a look, maybe OSU, etc. Honestly, pick and choose any major center/program and you'll come out a strong clinician. We can nitpick volumes, structures, etc. but there's so much nuances and in the end it's not a huge difference. I know people who went to 'top' programs who suck and vice versa, a lot of depends on the individual.

There's also UPMC, Washu, chicago programs, henry ford could garner a look, maybe OSU, etc. Honestly, pick and choose any major center/program and you'll come out a strong clinician. We can nitpick volumes, structures, etc. but there's so much nuances and in the end it's not a huge difference. I know people who went to 'top' programs who suck and vice versa, a lot of depends on the individual.

Appreciate the insight. Are you able to comment specifically on programs like MCW, CWRU, MetroHealth, Wright St, Indiana U, Rush, Michigan St, Penn St, Summa/NEOMED, Buffalo, Aurora Health, Kansas, Nebraska, Kentucky, Louisville, Oklahoma, Rosalind, Toledo, Ohio St, VCU, East Carolina, V Tech, Wake? I'm having trouble separating places outside the "big" names. Maybe there isn't much to separate...

Happy to talk via direct message if that lets you be more frank.

Appreciate the insight. Are you able to comment specifically on programs like MCW, CWRU, MetroHealth, Wright St, Indiana U, Rush, Michigan St, Penn St, Summa/NEOMED, Buffalo, Aurora Health, Kansas, Nebraska, Kentucky, Louisville, Oklahoma, Rosalind, Toledo, Ohio St, VCU, East Carolina, V Tech, Wake? I'm having trouble separating places outside the "big" names. Maybe there isn't much to separate...

Happy to talk via direct message if that lets you be more frank.

Can't speak to most of those programs, but pm me. I will add to just apply broadly, interview and see where the best fit is in all manners of the word (training, vibe, location, etc.).

Last edited:
Resident of Mid tier University program. IMG on J1, visa required
235, 243, 218 in steps
17 publications with 9 pubmed pubs, 8 published abstracts (all cardiology)
9 poster presentations all in AHA and ACC.
Leading 2 retrospective studies as first author at the moment.
3 oral presentations at AHA, ACC
multiple medicine related start ups
2 medicine, 1 cards research and 1 EP LOR
Applying to only 30 programs, lets see how it goes

Silly question but are most people using their residency/official email address for ERAS? My institution has outlook which has a horrible interface and I'd much rather use my gmail account (which has numbers after my name).

Silly question but are most people using their residency/official email address for ERAS? My institution has outlook which has a horrible interface and I'd much rather use my gmail account (which has numbers after my name).
Pick the one that's more likely to get checked.

Resident of Mid tier University program. IMG on J1, visa required
235, 243, 218 in steps
17 publications with 9 pubmed pubs, 8 published abstracts (all cardiology)
9 poster presentations all in AHA and ACC.
Leading 2 retrospective studies as first author at the moment.
3 oral presentations at AHA, ACC
multiple medicine related start ups
2 medicine, 1 cards research and 1 EP LOR
Applying to only 30 programs, lets see how it goes

I would perhaps expand that list beyond the 30 since you’re still an IMG although your research record is impressive

Dear fellow applicants:
I am working on my ERAS application now and not sure about the publication part.
I presented an abstract at ACC which was published in JACC. In this case, should I indicate this under 'Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts' or 'Poster Presentation' or both?
Your input would be highly appreciated.

Thoughts on chances?
Resident of mid tier academic program in midwest, American Medical Graduate (MD)/US Citizen
216/223/216/CS passed first attempt
1 publication to peer reviewed State-issued Journal of Medicine, 1 review paper (I am first author) submitted to PMI Peer reviewed international journal
1 poster presentation to ACP
Starting Retrospective chart review project at the moment on nuclear imaging/infiltrative disorders with second Heme/Cardiology project down the pipeline
5 strong letters (1 from PD/my advisor/mentor in IM, 3 from Cardiologist (one with Professor of Medicine title), 1 from Pulm/Crit Care attending
Well liked among peers/faculty

Applying to 53 program, mostly north east, Chicago, Minnesota and Michigan. Would love to stay at home institution.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Dear fellow applicants:
I am working on my ERAS application now and not sure about the publication part.
I presented an abstract at ACC which was published in JACC. In this case, should I indicate this under 'Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts' or 'Poster Presentation' or both?
Your input would be highly appreciated.

Usually, you pick one but if you gave an oral presentation it's ok to list both. You don't want the same project to pop up multiple times in different sections; makes it look like you're just trying to fill up the application with fluff.

Thoughts on chances?
Resident of mid tier academic program in midwest, American Medical Graduate/US Citizen
216/223/216/CS passed first attempt
1 publication to peer reviewed State-issued Journal of Medicine, 1 review paper (I am first author) submitted to PMI Peer reviewed international journal
1 poster presentation to ACP
Starting Retrospective chart review project at the moment on nuclear imaging/infiltrative disorders with second Heme/Cardiology project down the pipeline
5 strong letters (1 from PD/my advisor/mentor in IM, 3 from Cardiologist (one with Professor of Medicine title), 1 from Pulm/Crit Care attending
Well liked among peers/faculty

Applying to 53 program, mostly north east, Chicago, Minnesota and Michigan. Would love to stay at home institution.

Thanks guys!

You have little chance at fancy-name institutions but you should match at one of the 53.

Usually, you pick one but if you gave an oral presentation it's ok to list both. You don't want the same project to pop up multiple times in different sections; makes it look like you're just trying to fill up the application with fluff.

Thank you very much for your insightful comment.

Can anyone confirm the deadline Tufts has set for applications? Their website says July 10th, which precedes the ERAS established deadline of July 15th?
I figured I'd ask here first since I won't receive a reply from the program admin over the weekend. Would hate to waste the money applying to a program whose deadline has passed!

Thanks!