Official 2018-2019 Psychiatry Residency Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am holding onto 21 interviews and so far I am planning on attending all of them. Do I want to do this? No, but this system is broken so I will use every advantage I have even if it means "wasting my time". Psychiatry is insanely popular at my school this year and I plan on having a big of a safety net as I can. I could not imagine not matching and watch all this work I put in get flushed away. Change the system to allow early decisions please.

Hey if you can afford the near bankruptcy amount of debt and somehow manage to go on that many interviews without your school asking whether or not you were present at all during entire rotations, then more power to you.

But in case youu decide to be reasonable cancel 5-6 of those.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

If there are so many people holding on to 15 plus interviews doesnt that just make it harder for programs to fill positions leading to more programs in the SOAP?

Reactions: 2 users
If there are so many people holding on to 15 plus interviews doesnt that just make it harder for programs to fill positions leading to more programs in the SOAP?
That would be a logical outcome but considering the 87% match rate of last year (and 35% for IMG) I believe that this s**t became so competitive that even with all those competitive applicants hoarding >15-20 interviews not many positions go unfilled this year. Some programs are even interviewing at more than a 15:1 applicants/position ratio.
As NMRP only allows to rank 20 programs (unless you pay a fee) they should only allow this limit for # of interviews as you can't really improve your odds too much after that. That doesn't seem to be happening soon tho

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,

Looking for some advice. US MD grad-to-be with step scores exactly average for last year’s numbers in psychiatry among applicants who matched. Lots of extra curricular experiences and pre-med school experiences.

I have 10 ii’s. Planning to not rank one of them, am considering canceling one future interview. That would put me at 8 interviews total in the rank. Is it completely unwise to cancel? If it were y’all, would you keep the 9th for safety I’m numbers? My reason for cancelling is it is not in a very desirable location for me, despite being a reputable program.

I do feel that because I have 8 other good options, it’s a bit unfair to hold onto an interview at a good program that I am not terribly interested in since there are probably lots of others waiting to hear.

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all,

Looking for some advice. US MD grad-to-be with step scores exactly average for last year’s numbers in psychiatry among applicants who matched. Lots of extra curricular experiences and pre-med school experiences.

I have 10 ii’s. Planning to not rank one of them, am considering canceling one future interview. That would put me at 8 interviews total in the rank. Is it completely unwise to cancel? If it were y’all, would you keep the 9th for safety I’m numbers? My reason for cancelling is it is not in a very desirable location for me, despite being a reputable program.

I do feel that because I have 8 other good options, it’s a bit unfair to hold onto an interview at a good program that I am not terribly interested in since there are probably lots of others waiting to hear.

Thanks!

I have 14 interviews, I canceled 6 because there’s just no point if I’m gonna match at my top 3 and prolly number 1. Do what makes sense for you, cheers!

Reactions: 3 users

If you look at the excel file for II the majority of people are not doing that

Had 20 interviews...cancelled/turned down 5. Feel kind of guilty for not doing more, so just hoping 15 interviews as a DO is enough...though I do feel I am a good interviewer.

Reactions: 4 users
Had 20 interviews...cancelled/turned down 5. Feel kind of guilty for not doing more, so just hoping 15 interviews as a DO is enough...though I do feel I am a good interviewer.

Got 21, canceled 6, may cancel 1-2 more

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Judging from the interview scheduler on ERAS it looks like there are now many more interview dates open from couple programs, which means I’m assuming people have been canceling invites

Guess it's time to send another round of emails to a few places...

Anyone know what the odds are of dropping to your 15th ranked place? Interviewed at a place I will rank dead last, if I rank it at all.

Though, if I'm being honest with myself, I'd rather be here than not match....but the thought of being here for four years is making me physically sick.

November is almost over and haven't received any invite since October 29, I think this is it .

Members don't see this ad :)
got one more today. trickle down is real. first invite I've received in a month

Anyone know what the odds are of dropping to your 15th ranked place? Interviewed at a place I will rank dead last, if I rank it at all.

Though, if I'm being honest with myself, I'd rather be here than not match....but the thought of being here for four years is making me physically sick.

How would we know the odds to your question? Kind of a dumb question tbh...you need about 10 to guarantee matching unless you’re a real creep..anymore than that and you’re wasting time and resources

Waste the time and money on as many interviews as you see fit. This is your journey, your career, your future, own it.

There is something to be said that you gave the all that you could, or wanted to.

Its a tight market out there for going unmatched, and if snagging a preliminary year, and then trying to get into a PGY-II is doable but not a full proof plan. And essentially more stress and more money spent.

Do it once, do it right. Best wishes to each of you.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't waste your time worrying about the programs and how they fill, do their interviews, etc. Waste of time doing that. A program that has an intern year of 8 residents, could potentially interview up to 60, or even more candidates. And perhaps rank 53 of those interviewed.

The programs are doing their part to insure they fill at match time.

I suggest each med student reflect on their application, and interview at as many as they wish to also insure they match.

Don't waste your time worrying about the programs and how they fill, do their interviews, etc. Waste of time doing that. A program that has an intern year of 8 residents, could potentially interview up to 60, or even more candidates. And perhaps rank 53 of those interviewed.

The programs are doing their part to insure they fill at match time.

I suggest each med student reflect on their application, and interview at as many as they wish to also insure they match.

My program is roughly that size (~8 people). Our PD told us she got over 1,000 applications this year and I believe we interview between 80-100 people. No idea how many people get ranked, but we haven't had to participate in SOAP for several years from what I was told.

For those going on 15+ interviews, you do you. Realize that the odds of you matching below your top 5 are very low if you're getting that many ii's and if you match near the bottom of your list then you should be looking in the mirror when you ask why you didn't match higher.

My program is roughly that size (~8 people). Our PD told us she got over 1,000 applications this year and I believe we interview between 80-100 people. No idea how many people get ranked, but we haven't had to participate in SOAP for several years from what I was told.

For those going on 15+ interviews, you do you. Realize that the odds of you matching below your top 5 are very low if you're getting that many ii's and if you match near the bottom of your list then you should be looking in the mirror when you ask why you didn't match higher.

Is it rare for even DOs to fall out of their top 5? I guess I'm just afraid because my top 9 programs are all well regarded programs in very desirable locations and maybe I'm feeling a bit insecure about my actual odds of matching somewhere so great as a DO. My bottom 6 are basically new/newer programs with a varying degrees of issues with them.

Fwiw, I think I interview extremely well and seem to have great conversation with my each of my interviewers. Hoping this helps despite the DO label.

Is it rare for even DOs to fall out of their top 5? I guess I'm just afraid because my top 9 programs are all well regarded programs in very desirable locations and maybe I'm feeling a bit insecure about my actual odds of matching somewhere so great as a DO. My bottom 6 are basically new/newer programs with a varying degrees of issues with them.

Fwiw, I think I interview extremely well and seem to have great conversation with my each of my interviewers. Hoping this helps despite the DO label.

Honestly idk. I matched into a solid program that was my number one, but I also did an audition rotation there. I think if you interviewed well and the programs liked you your DO status won't matter that much unless the program has an obvious bias against DOs. I can't speak as to whehjer or not that means you don't match there though. Just have to do your best and play the waiting game.

Seemingly going against popular opinion here, but I really don't think it's necessary or desirable to go on 15+ interviews. Two reasons:
1) The altruistic one that's been mentioned: don't hog interviews at a program you're not particularly interested in, as you're wasting both your time and the program's time.
2) If you think you can go on 15 interviews and perform well for all of them, I'd be super impressed and want some of what you're having. The risk of padding your calendar with lots of extra interviews is draining your energy and stamina on programs you're not as excited about, leaving you potentially less able to interview well later in the season. Believe me, interview fatigue and apathy are real. I was seriously dragging by my last interview, and I only went on nine!
At the end of the day this is a supply side problem that should be fixed with uniform rules from programs and the AAMC. Until then, just realize that going on interviews well beyond what you need to be comfortable matching does have negative effects

The minimal number of interviews necessary to match is not a fixed number, it's a complicated function with many variables involved.

Person A who applied to 20 top programs with 15 interviews will very likely match to his or her top 3 choices, especially if the person A can receive protection from home program.

Person B who applied to all 200 programs with 15 interviews mostly from low tier or new community programs will very likely need to go on all 15 in order to ensure a decent chance of matching.

The minimal number of interviews necessary to get a good exposure to different programs or match to geologically desired places add complexity to the decision making. Hence the appropriate number of interviews for person A will vary wildly depends on person A's career interests, life situation, personality, degree of obsessive compulsiveness, etc.

Personally I can't imagine going on more than 8 interviews. It takes me a week to thoroughly investigate each program, travel, interview, and rest. It is not only respectful to show up on interview day prepared but also essential to have deep dive into the place and culture in which I will spend the next 4 years of life. I consider myself pretty resilient, able to work 100+ hours no problem, but I just don't have that many weeks available and the interview day performance is so critical for psych. Therefore even though ideally I'd like to visit and experience all 25+ programs which sent me invites, but I must prioritize.

Last edited:
Seemingly going against popular opinion here, but I really don't think it's necessary or desirable to go on 15+ interviews.

Just checking out that table that was linked above... last year psych applicants with my scores who interviewed at 11-15 had a 92% match rate (4 unmatched) whereas the ones who did 16-20 had a 100% match rate. Seems like a small difference unless you're in that 8%.

Personally I've found that I'm doing better with interviews as I've done more of them. The questions are relatively similar so my answers are more practiced.

Just checking out that table that was linked above... last year psych applicants with my scores who interviewed at 11-15 had a 92% match rate (4 unmatched) whereas the ones who did 16-20 had a 100% match rate. Seems like a small difference unless you're in that 8%.
Personally I've found that I'm doing better with interviews as I've done more of them. The questions are relatively similar so my answers are more practiced.

Haha I mean obviously no one here is going to change their minds based on an anonymous strangers' opinion on the internet! Just important for current and future folks to think about the negatives along with the positives of applying like this.
I would echo FriendlyFH's point above about it not being a fixed number depending on your circumstances. And while obviously I love data, I would caution folks about getting too too gradual with the charting outcomes data. Having 4 people go unmatched vs zero in those brackets is much more likely statistical noise than it is a real difference given the small n.

What does it mean when a program has sent rejections, but they have not either rejected or invited you? At the beggining of the interview season I assumed they had not just gone through your app... but at this point this just feel like the "application limbo". (E.g., BI Deaconness, Duke, etc). I am trying to cheer myself up by thinking I have been placed in a waiting list... To be honest, I rather get the bitter taste of a rejection than the anxious distress of this limbo.

Am I the only one who kinda sorta enjoys interviewing? I find I get energized by going on interviews... definitely not burning out.

Am I the only one who kinda sorta enjoys interviewing? I find I get energized by going on interviews... definitely not burning out.

No, I like it too. It's fun to get to talk about yourself and all the things you are interested in with interesting, smart people with similar passions.

The minimal number of interviews necessary to match is not a fixed number, it's a complicated function with many variables involved.

Person A who applied to 20 top programs with 15 interviews will very likely match to his or her top 3 choices, especially if the person A can receive protection from home program.

Person B who applied to all 200 programs with 15 interviews mostly from low tier or new community programs will very likely need to go on all 15 in order to ensure a decent chance of matching.

Thank you for saying this. Every year I get a unintentionally riled up at how literally people take NRMP data and use it as their personal "odds" of matching. From that data, we don't know how many places the people applied to, and were invited to... if they had to turn places down, or if they applied to literally every program and had invites/went to interviews at 11 places. On the other hand, folks that ended up getting invites at 15-20+ places probably had something good going for them anyway, and could have been just as likely to match had they "only" gone on 12 interviews.

Take a good introspective look at your application, and your vibe from existing interview conversations. Do you converse well with people? Do you have a negative criminal record? Can you describe why you want to be in this field? If you can answer yes to all of those, then my two cents would be to put your efforts into the places you are most interested in. And include some non-"top 20" programs even if you're brilliant.

Then breathe.

Sent another round of interest letters recently. Led to a couple ignored emails, one rejection, and one more interview at a program I'm stoked to go check out.
Also decided to cancel one interview because I decided that my odds of going there were pretty low and I didn't want to deal with travel close to another interview that I'll be driving a few hours to... But I did this after buying a plane ticket because I got excited that I was going to hang out with a few friends. Oh well...

Be careful with the last point. Questions may be more practiced, but from the other side it's often obvious when they've been rehearsed. It can come across as robotic or not genuine. I realize it can be hard not to come across that way further in the season, but sometimes it can leave a bad impression if you sound overly scripted (one or two people I talked to definitely did sound that way).

I enjoyed it a lot too, even at the end of the season. Even with my enjoyment, it did start to get old though. You start getting the same questions over and over and trying to juggle interviews with rotations gets tiring. Especially after you find those one or two places you love and everything else starts seeming like a back up.

I feel like I have my top 3-4 under my belt already with one exception that I'm really hoping I like because I love the location. The program I dropped was my only interview in a city I really love, but I think I just have to be honest with myself that I want to end up at an academic program.

Can anyone who interviewed at UNC pm me please (have already interviewed there, just had a quick post-interview question)

Last edited:
Another interview dinner coming up tonight...am I a degenerate grabbing a beer or two at one of this cities amazing breweries before sitting through another generic qa sesh?

To the PD's on here--got my passing CS Score this week. Do I need to email the PC/PD at all the places I interviewed or is resending my scores through ERAS sufficient?

Still waiting for that second interview wave

Still waiting for that second interview wave

Pretty sure at this point it's going to be mainly last minute cancellations and minor waitlist movements. But who even knows.

Another interview dinner coming up tonight...am I a degenerate grabbing a beer or two at one of this cities amazing breweries before sitting through another generic qa sesh?

Nope, this was actually something I used to gauge the places I interviewed at. If they acted appalled that I considered ordering a drink at dinner that was a big negative to me (only happened at one place). I wouldn't want to be somewhere that I couldn't be just chill with my co-residents.

Kinda weird for me to think about how I'm potentially done interviewing for the cycle... Yowza.

Hope canceling 7 interviews won’t come back to bite me hard in 2 months

I bet you’ll be fine. Match statistics (like all statistics) are good for predicting what will happen to applicants as a group...not so much for individuals.

Hope canceling 7 interviews won’t come back to bite me hard in 2 months

You'll be fine dude. As someone who benefited from a couple trickle down interviews, thanks for not hoarding the invites and going to interview at programs you aren't considering. you da real mvp

I'm being neurotic but I feel justified in my neuroticism. I would like an honest answer, please. I am a reapplicant. I graduated from medical school last year, am doing a PGY1 TY year and reapplying psychiatry this year. Last year, I had 10 interviews and did not match. This year, I have 11 interviews. Last year, each interview was an adventure. I did not prepare much for most of my interviews and put very little thought into my answers. I also never felt the "interview burn" and just looked forward to going to each place. This year I feel is extremely different. I prepare for each interview and treat it like it is the only one interview I have. I am feeling "interview burn" this cycle. I am extremely stressed out about matching and am terrified I will not match again. I have spent a lot of time introspecting on why I did not match last year and when people ask, I believe I have a well-thought answer (that I do not wish to share for anonymity purposes).

I understand there is very little I can do at this time except pray to god, but I am just hoping for some type of reassurance. I'm extremely stressed out.